Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 pm
I knew sinister was related to being left handed and I’ve seen the etymology of ambidextrous somewhere before but I didn’t think of that connection. Went from Spanish derecha to Derek. Kicking myself for missing Dexter and Venice.
I got you beat ... I had droite (French), destra (Italian), and derecho (Spanish), and STILL couldn't get to Dexter. I, too, went with Derek, but knew there was no way that was Latin.

Went with jet for the engine, couldn't get out of Germany to get to Venice, and had no clue on cricket. Worst day this season for me.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7591
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:28 pm
MattKnowles wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 pm
I knew sinister was related to being left handed and I’ve seen the etymology of ambidextrous somewhere before but I didn’t think of that connection. Went from Spanish derecha to Derek. Kicking myself for missing Dexter and Venice.
I got you beat ... I had droite (French), destra (Italian), and derecho (Spanish), and STILL couldn't get to Dexter. I, too, went with Derek, but knew there was no way that was Latin.
Apparently derecha is a cognate of "direct," not "dextrous." The Spanish equivalent of "dexter" is the less-used diestra. (There's also a Spanish word siniestra, but their more common word for "left" is izquierda, a Basque borrowing. I was under the impression at one point that they went Basque to ditch the negative connotations the Latin had acquired, but I'm not sure that's the case.)

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Ironhorse »

I had no clue on Venice/diesel but thought dexter was common knowledge.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Lefty »

I had "wickets" for about 21 hours, but then I remembered they were in croquet, and why would be in both games? They aren't very similar.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2187
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by triviawayne »

Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10912
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am
Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Isn’t Othello generally portrayed by black actors? That’s how I got it.

User avatar
ilcap
Valued Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 am

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by ilcap »

I found the Society for Ethical Culture question to be an interesting one yesterday -- it didn't ring a bell for me, but a large majority of my rundle knew it. Would love to hear where people know it from!

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by morbeedo »

ilcap wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 am
I found the Society for Ethical Culture question to be an interesting one yesterday -- it didn't ring a bell for me, but a large majority of my rundle knew it. Would love to hear where people know it from!
It sounded familiar- took me a minute- then I remembered walking past the building on Central Park West in NYC. Wouldn’t have known it otherwise.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am
triviawayne wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am
Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Isn’t Othello generally portrayed by black actors? That’s how I got it.
Me too...not everyday I get a Shakespeare question right! Didn't matter, I got crushed by @cmp146. If it weren't for 2 buckner wins this season, I'd be deep in the relegation zone. I'm barely above the red with 4 days to go, hoping to stay up in B but I am having my worst season by TCA in quite a while. A lot of times, my Koin misses haven't mattered in the match result but its pretty sad to see that only 3 players in B Magnolia have less than 80 TCA, and I'm at 66. Not good.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am
triviawayne wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am
Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Isn’t Othello generally portrayed by black actors? That’s how I got it.
Depends on what era you look at. Othello is supposed to be played by black actors, but then white actors in blackface took a stretch. (Orson Welles, Olivier) More recently there was that negative image Othello with Patrick Stewart and a black cast.

That said...Othello is the only POC lead in the major Shakespeare canon so it doesn't take all that background in the first place
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Colossal (9), The Love Bug (8), The Awful Truth (9), Girls Trip (6)

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by StevenH »

I had 2 correct yesterday and am back down to the relegation zone to E. I made a dumb mistake and picked Tantalus over Midas. I wasn't sure if Tantalus had ever been a king, but I remembered that Sisyphus, who was also famously punished in Greek mythology was a king, so I thought that Tantalus may have been. But my opponent did give me a 0 for that one.

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by mahatma »

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:20 am
ilcap wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 am
I found the Society for Ethical Culture question to be an interesting one yesterday -- it didn't ring a bell for me, but a large majority of my rundle knew it. Would love to hear where people know it from!
It sounded familiar- took me a minute- then I remembered walking past the building on Central Park West in NYC. Wouldn’t have known it otherwise.
Yeah, this one seemed like a big advantage to New Yorkers, since Ethical Culture has multiple schools in the city, 'meeting houses' in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and advertises on the subway.
Volante wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:44 am
triviawayne wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am
Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Depends on what era you look at. Othello is supposed to be played by black actors, but then white actors in blackface took a stretch. (Orson Welles, Olivier) More recently there was that negative image Othello with Patrick Stewart and a black cast.
I saw a production with a Latin Othello (John Ruiz), white Iago (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and the rest of the cast decidedly multi-ethnic. Without making any effort to establish a basis for the prejudices against Othello, and thus his paranoia, it was a mess. Maybe the worst play I've seen outside of workshop and high school productions.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 am
I had "wickets" for about 21 hours, but then I remembered they were in croquet, and why would be in both games? They aren't very similar.
I was glad to see a clue about Ian Botham. My first visit to UK was 1986 and it was still in mid-century form. The sportswriting was like 1920's Ring Lardner prose. My favorite sports story line ever was: 'Ian Botham got caught slogging in mid-silly and was bowled for a duck". I learned enough about cricket to get this one, but it is still a trainwreck to sort out the innings, runs, and overs. A team may have a 200 run lead and be at a disadvantage to win.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 am
Lefty wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 am
I had "wickets" for about 21 hours, but then I remembered they were in croquet, and why would be in both games? They aren't very similar.
I was glad to see a clue about Ian Botham. My first visit to UK was 1986 and it was still in mid-century form. The sportswriting was like 1920's Ring Lardner prose. My favorite sports story line ever was: 'Ian Botham got caught slogging in mid-silly and was bowled for a duck". I learned enough about cricket to get this one, but it is still a trainwreck to sort out the innings, runs, and overs. A team may have a 200 run lead and be at a disadvantage to win.
I just wish cricket would get out of beta already. How many more tests do they need to run?!

*waits for a rugby question to try and make the same exact joke again...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Colossal (9), The Love Bug (8), The Awful Truth (9), Girls Trip (6)

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5613
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm pretty well ensconced in the middle of my rundle (sitting at 15th currently). With three days left it's going to be a very average season for me.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Ironhorse »

It looks like as usual, I'm likely to be sitting in the top 10 but with no promotion to C. At least I'm consistent.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by morbeedo »

I’m on track to set a personal record for TCA and yet still not safe from relegation in B Taiga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10912
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Bamaman »

Sitting in the final promotion spot to C.

Yesterday was odd. My Science score is .277 and I was assigned zero for quark, which I missed. My Game/Sport is .573 (much better on Sport than Game) and I bagged three on North Carolina. Granted, women’s soccer isn’t a mainstream sport, but still. Got one point in my best category of American History.

I know if I get promoted I won’t last long but it will be fun to try.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:05 pm
I’m on track to set a personal record for TCA and yet still not safe from relegation in B Taiga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It would take an epic collapse and comeback for the bubble player to make up 24 MPD in a 3 game sweep.

But, if it happened, we could play each other in LL90 :lol: . Somehow I'm in 3rd (4 advance) in Taiga D with 3 days to go and might wind up visiting C for a season. My DE is above 0.700, about twice my usual. I guess if I get a cup of coffee in C, it won't hurt anymore than the beatdowns in D the three times I flunked out.

eta: I just saw Bamaman's simulpost. C rundle here we come (I hope). But do we stay? :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9592
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by econgator »

Very likely I will get relegated to C. Anything that could go wrong has.

Post Reply