Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by econgator »

I thought I did crappy -- I only got 5 right and those were the 5 I monied -- on the MSC, but my 313 was good for 5th in Foundry B.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

JBizarro update:

KerryOakie continues to roll with 13 of 15 and an active 6 game streak!
I had a miserable fail on the HBCU because I was focused on a single word term and purposely eliminated all or part of HBCU for the common description.
Sorry I can't spoiler the graphic, but it is above my pay grade. When I do, only a dark banner appears.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:07 am JBizarro update:

KerryOakie continues to roll with 13 of 15 and an active 6 game streak!
I had a miserable fail on the HBCU because I was focused on a single word term and purposely eliminated all or part of HBCU for the common description.
Sorry I can't spoiler the graphic, but it is above my pay grade. When I do, only a dark banner appears.
I wish my actual defense was the inverse of this defense! Apparently, I can find the easiest question of the bunch, but have issues finding the hardest.

Also, I'm in my fourth LL season and in each of the past 3 seasons I've finished with a record of 9-12-4. I REALLY hope that I can break the streak this season as I'm currently sitting 8-7-1.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

One day I'll stop referring to it as the 'Diary of Nat Turner' ...no idea why I can't shake that one loose.
Ironically with my pop music score, including Usher in that list would've been a help :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:04 am One day I'll stop referring to it as the 'Diary of Nat Turner' ...no idea why I can't shake that one loose.
Ironically with my pop music score, including Usher in that list would've been a help :lol:
It took St Augustine to steer me off the diary path, onto something more confessional.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ursula von der Leyen? Not in a million years

Went with Carpathia over Lusitania, but it didn't matter - my opponent got 'em all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:04 am One day I'll stop referring to it as the 'Diary of Nat Turner' ...no idea why I can't shake that one loose.
This. Precisely this. Also convinced myself that de Quincy wrote diary of an English opium eater and totally ignored the St Augustine link. Fortunately my opponent ProctorK had more confidence in me than was deserved and gave me a 1 on it, thereby costing her the win.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 am Ursula von der Leyen? Not in a million years
Same here. That was one of those where I thought, "Gotta be Merkel". I can't name another female German 'politician', so I put her down. For defense I wavered between a 0 and a 3 -- I knew it probably wasn't Merkel, but didn't want to chance it -- and sadly stayed with the 3, giving my my second 9(5) of the season. My opponent did a bit better and I got the L with a 7(5).
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 am Ursula von der Leyen? Not in a million years
Same here, but my opponent was from Denmark, so that was an easy 0 to give. He got it, and we tied with 7(5)s.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

What the heck was supposed to help you to get to Sopranos? I looked it up after the fact, and the only character name in the titles is someone who never appears and is never mentioned again. Apparently, there are well known Pine Barrens here in NJ (I'm right near the areas represented on the show) ... but I certainly don't think of NJ in general when I think of that term. Between the Pine Barrens and the Pie reference, I guessed Twin Peaks.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MitchO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 am What the heck was supposed to help you to get to Sopranos? I looked it up after the fact, and the only character name in the titles is someone who never appears and is never mentioned again. Apparently, there are well known Pine Barrens here in NJ (I'm right near the areas represented on the show) ... but I certainly don't think of NJ in general when I think of that term. Between the Pine Barrens and the Pie reference, I guessed Twin Peaks.
I don't think it's an unfair question, although I do dread one day encountering a similar question based on episodes from, say, Gray's Anatomy. You'd have to recognize the Pine Barrens as New Jersey (which I only know about because of the show in question), add in a little bit of 'Cusamano sounds like an Italian name', and then hit on the answer.

That could be a fun round of bar trivia. Ten questions where you give three or four episode titles and they have to name the show. You could spread it out among eras/target audiences, etc and end up with a good range of scores.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am
MitchO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 am What the heck was supposed to help you to get to Sopranos? I looked it up after the fact, and the only character name in the titles is someone who never appears and is never mentioned again. Apparently, there are well known Pine Barrens here in NJ (I'm right near the areas represented on the show) ... but I certainly don't think of NJ in general when I think of that term. Between the Pine Barrens and the Pie reference, I guessed Twin Peaks.
I don't think it's an unfair question, although I do dread one day encountering a similar question based on episodes from, say, Gray's Anatomy. You'd have to recognize the Pine Barrens as New Jersey (which I only know about because of the show in question), add in a little bit of 'Cusamano sounds like an Italian name', and then hit on the answer.

That could be a fun round of bar trivia. Ten questions where you give three or four episode titles and they have to name the show. You could spread it out among eras/target audiences, etc and end up with a good range of scores.
I recognized 'Made in America' as either the pilot or the finale... (turns out it was the finale) and 'Pine Barrens' was confirmation once I got on that track.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I won yesterday, but could have had a six-pack had I not overthought the Venus of Willendorf question. I would have gotten it right if the parenthetical about the name being an anachronism hadn't been included, but that led me to "Madonna." I agree that the question is okay as written, but I was thinking "would Thorsten say that if the answer was Venus? The planet Venus would have been known to the sculptor even if he didn't call it that."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I got credit for East Pakistan. Technically incorrect, though I would have won anyway.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

See, that's just it .. I guess I'm more used to J! questions; they've certainly done episode titles as a category before and usually there's at least something. This just felt way too thin in terms of leading hints. Given minimal effort, I'm sure I could name off six to ten shows where "Italian sounding surname" could lead to that show instead. -shrug-. I just never bothered to pay for HBO.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MitchO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm See, that's just it .. I guess I'm more used to J! questions; they've certainly done episode titles as a category before and usually there's at least something. This just felt way too thin in terms of leading hints. Given minimal effort, I'm sure I could name off six to ten shows where "Italian sounding surname" could lead to that show instead. -shrug-. I just never bothered to pay for HBO.
I love questions about classic TV shows, but not so much anything roughly 2000 and later. There's just no way you can keep track of them all. Fortunately I did watch The Sopranos (on DVD, I didn't subscribe to HBO), so recognized "Pine Barrens" immediately.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

As much as my wife and I love mob movies and shows, neither one of us could get interested in this one. I tried a few times but it just never got me hooked.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:16 pm
MitchO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm See, that's just it .. I guess I'm more used to J! questions; they've certainly done episode titles as a category before and usually there's at least something. This just felt way too thin in terms of leading hints. Given minimal effort, I'm sure I could name off six to ten shows where "Italian sounding surname" could lead to that show instead. -shrug-. I just never bothered to pay for HBO.
I love questions about classic TV shows, but not so much anything roughly 2000 and later. There's just no way you can keep track of them all. Fortunately I did watch The Sopranos (on DVD, I didn't subscribe to HBO), so recognized "Pine Barrens" immediately.
And as generic as the title may be "College" is one of the most famous episodes of the show (Tony takes Meadow to tour a college, sees a guy in witness protection, whacks him.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MitchO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm

See, that's just it .. I guess I'm more used to J! questions; they've certainly done episode titles as a category before and usually there's at least something. This just felt way too thin in terms of leading hints. Given minimal effort, I'm sure I could name off six to ten shows where "Italian sounding surname" could lead to that show instead. -shrug-. I just never bothered to pay for HBO.
I think you're quite exaggerating how hard/obscure this was. This has mostly been said but, "Made in America" is the final episode and has one of the most famous/talked about ending scenes in 21st century television. The Pine Barrens points to New Jersey and the Italian name certainly fits with a mob show. And I'll add that I've never seen an episode of the show and didn't have an HBO subscription while it was on. One of my pet peeves is people after missing trivia questions saying "I've never watched the show". The vast majority of questions about tv/movies don't require you to have watched it, it wasn't like it asked you to name Tony's mother-in-law. I was never in the Battle of Gettysburg but I can sure answer questions about it!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought of Sopranos first, but I thought a couple of those titles were a little light-hearted for what I understood that show to be, so I guessed Schitt's Creek instead (imagining "Pine Barrens" to befit the podunk town setting of the show).