Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by classicroadster »

I won yesterday to survive relegation out of b...I really don't deserve to stay and the only reason I am is 2 Buckner wins early on. I was last is TCA and TMP by a wide margin...hope to do better next season!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I finished 5th, in the top non-promotion spot. So it's possible but I'll have to see where I get assigned in August.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There are actually some decent choices in the BWA voting.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Just missed promotion to B Rundle by 1 point, finishing 4th in C Midland Div 1. My best showing so far!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:34 am My very first Sandra! An .857 DE, which is 150 points over my average with only 10 UfPA. 'Twas a very good season.
And from the bottom of E league in Taiga, my brother won a Sandra with a .843 and 11 UfPA. He only had 33 Correct Answers Against, and I am pondering if that makes it easier or harder to achieve a good DE.

Congrats on your achievement :) . I didn't even know about this award until a few days ago when I clicked the 'Taiga' link while scouting the C league players. I have blundered into promotion to C Taiga and hope we have a lot of math and physics questions next season.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well, I thought my guess of 'Billie' was pretty good, what with my Pop Music background. Came up with Holiday, Eilish and Joe Armstrong even!
Then it turns out one of those works was a poem (I recognized none of the works as well).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:24 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:15 pm I’m not big on stats, but I’ve been playing since LL72 and I’ve never broken 100 TCA. Currently sitting at 98 TCA with one match day to go. I’ve already beaten my previous record of 96 TCA from (checks notes) LL 86, 87 and 88!
Yeah, one of these seasons I will. My record is 97. I have 89 this season, so no hope for me. Good luck Monday!
Monday put me over the top! 103 TCA - a personal record. I wish I could say I've been studying up, but this season's questions were just more in my lane. Finished in the middle of the pack in B Taiga.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

My league is generally near the bottom in total correct % so I managed to win my B rundle with 104 TCA (that was third in TCA). So I'll be moving up to A. Not sure if I will be able to stay there though.

The next season will be my 5th and also my 5th different rundle haha (R, D, C, B, A)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:53 am Well, I thought my guess of 'Billie' was pretty good, what with my Pop Music background. Came up with Holiday, Eilish and Joe Armstrong even!
Then it turns out one of those works was a poem (I recognized none of the works as well).
That's a reasonable guess.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm pretty sure 114 TCA is my highest, probably by a few points. I think though there was just more up my alley than usual. Certainly my weaknesses (e.g., current events) are as weak as ever. I'm grateful not to have spent too much of yesterday on whether Pete Buttigieg was mayor of Cincinnati or of Cleveland.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Did we get two questions on Marco Polo this season? And two on Fleetwood Mac / Stevie Nicks? Not repeats per se, but in both cases, I had to stop and wonder if I was on the right track
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I won yesterday to tie my personal records for both wins and match points and set a new record for three pointers.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t good enough to get promoted. I finished tied for the last spot, but they had a much higher MPD so they get the C ticket. Turns out picking Pinta instead of Lusitania sank my chances.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:34 am My very first Sandra! An .857 DE, which is 150 points over my average with only 10 UfPA. 'Twas a very good season.
I was just the opposite. The only personal records I set were bad ones: my worst-ever DE with .545 and my highest UfPA ever at 40. Earned me a well-deserved trip back to C.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:13 am Did we get two questions on Marco Polo this season? And two on Fleetwood Mac / Stevie Nicks? Not repeats per se, but in both cases, I had to stop and wonder if I was on the right track
yes, two for Fleetwood Mac, the other was an instaget when it had the name Peter Green
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:13 am Did we get two questions on Marco Polo this season? And two on Fleetwood Mac / Stevie Nicks? Not repeats per se, but in both cases, I had to stop and wonder if I was on the right track
Marco Polo showed up previously on MD10 Q3
Spoiler
A subspecies of argali, a pale brown sheep native to Central Asia and considered to be the largest living sheep, has a common name referencing what person, who encountered the animal in the 13th century?
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:11 pm
Spoiler
A subspecies of argali, a pale brown sheep native to Central Asia and considered to be the largest living sheep, has a common name referencing what person, who encountered the animal in the 13th century?
I am all for anything that subverts such (IMO) silly 'rules' as 'no answer will be used twice'; 'the US is not in the world' / 'the UK is not in Europe'; etc, etc, etc.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Apparently all these years I've had one false memory after another of ever being a child. 93% get rate on "Marco Polo" as the aquatic equivalent of blind man's bluff? I'm not connecting with that at all. :?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

RandyG wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 pm Apparently all these years I've had one false memory after another of ever being a child. 93% get rate on "Marco Polo" as the aquatic equivalent of blind man's bluff? I'm not connecting with that at all. :?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Actually, one question was on "Marco" and the other was on "Polo". The kids at the pool confirmed it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mahatma wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:22 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:11 pm
I am all for anything that subverts such (IMO) silly 'rules' as 'no answer will be used twice'; 'the US is not in the world' / 'the UK is not in Europe'; etc, etc, etc.
Not a rule but a precedent. I’ve been playing since LL72 and I don’t think I’ve seen the same answer pop up twice in one season, though some material does repeat from season to season.