Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Lefty »

I was very relieved to see "quark" as the answer, as I'd feared I'd shot myself again by switching late from boson to muon. I was attracted by the pun on "moo" for the dairy product, but then I realized that "bos" was the genus name for cattle. Something about submitting answers seems to clear the cobwebs and I often do my clearest thinking of the day in those moments.

I've clinched a plus score in my A rundle, which I'm pretty sure I've never done before. Blew a tie the other day with my unsticky "wicket", but I can be grateful for another tie where I'd submitted over a half hour late. And I got credit for "Hottentot Venus" for the 25,000 year old statuette, when she was actually a real person about 24,800 years later.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It’s a jboard trifecta of bomtr, me and Reddpen atop A Continental but slam lurks in 4th and might move higher after his match with me today.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Tough day yesterday. I lost 1(2)-2(2). My gets were cotangent and cotton/increase. And I really loved the latter question.

But I cannot believe that I couldn't pull Elbe. My thought process was "not the Oder, that's between Germany and Poland. What's that other 4-letter river!?" I ended up having to guess the Rhine; I was pretty sure that it was wrong but I did know that it emptied into the North Sea. Getting Elbe would have gotten me a tie.

I guessed "reuben" for potato. I don't know why but I sensed that one was a food question.

I also had no idea that Guns N' Roses was (kind of) named for a person. I had tickets to see them in concert last year before covid hit.

I am now 1 spot above the relegation zone, and am tied in points with the person below me but am beating them in MPD by 3 points.
Woof wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:01 pm It’s a jboard trifecta of bomtr, me and Reddpen atop A Continental but slam lurks in 4th and might move higher after his match with me today.
And that is awesome! It's great to see you guys at the top like that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*sigh* read...the...clue...
"adjacent?" "opposite?" That's tangent! *loses because of it...well, that or defense, being better at either would've been enough...*

And now I'm in the red.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:07 am *sigh* read...the...clue...
"adjacent?" "opposite?" That's tangent! *loses because of it...well, that or defense, being better at either would've been enough...*

And now I'm in the red.
On the last day of trig class, our teacher mentioned a mnemonic to remember all the functions -- the Indian Princess Sohcahtoa. We all laughed because we had it down so cold. Guess what? That's the only way I can remember it nowadays. When I got to the toa part, I realized I needed ao instead, so cotangent it was.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

A titanic defensive struggle was had between BarrettM and I yesterday. I pulled out a 7(3) - 3(1) victory. Guessed right on Blue, potato, and Guns, knowing none of them for certain. Went with blue because it was art, I thought of Picasso's blue period, and I wanted to answer something before I forgot and forfeited. Potato was because of Ireland, the Irish word started with a p, and staplacha seemed like 'staple.' Guns because Slash was the other mononymous guitarist I could think of and Tracy/ii wasn't Axl.

Sorry Mark, all 3 gets were purely lucky guesses.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:27 am A titanic defensive struggle was had between BarrettM and I yesterday. I pulled out a 7(3) - 3(1) victory. Guessed right on Blue, potato, and Guns, knowing none of them for certain. Went with blue because it was art, I thought of Picasso's blue period, and I wanted to answer something before I forgot and forfeited. Potato was because of Ireland, the Irish word started with a p, and staplacha seemed like 'staple.' Guns because Slash was the other mononymous guitarist I could think of and Tracy/ii wasn't Axl.

Sorry Mark, all 3 gets were purely lucky guesses.
Congrats and well done. There is no way I would have pulled out perfect defense to have stolen a victory on your three correct against my one for the Mathers. Avoid my first 0(0) was enough to keep me happy.

I spent more time than usual on the music Q trying to figure it out and still could not get there even though I managed to get as far as Slash. Mixing up groups a little past my pocket of best music knowledge I threw in the towel and wrote Kiedis.

Keep up your good work and make it to B next season.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:27 am Potato was because of Ireland, the Irish word started with a p, and staplacha seemed like 'staple.'
What steered me in the right direction was "mor" being similar to the Latin word for death.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

StevenH wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:52 am
I also had no idea that Guns N' Roses was (kind of) named for a person. I had tickets to see them in concert last year before covid hit.
GNR was formed by two bands who were both scheduled to play at the same club on the same night, but half of each band didn’t show up, so they combined to form GNR.

LA Guns (Axl, Tracii, maybe others) and Hollywood Rose (Duff and others).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I made the Very Best Wrong Answer poll!

38. What is the specific term, borrowed from German, for the type of frozen precipitation—sometimes referred to as "snow pellets" and distinct from snow, sleet, freezing rain, or hail—which consists of soft, small ice pellets created when super-cooled water droplets coat a snowflake? EIS, EIS BABY
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:18 am
GNR was formed by two bands who were both scheduled to play at the same club on the same night, but half of each band didn’t show up, so they combined to form GNR.

So Axl had nothing to do with the "Roses" part?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 am
triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:18 am

So Axl had nothing to do with the "Roses" part?
Strangely...no
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I got as far as Guns and Roses, but went with Rose. Opponent gave me 0, despite my poor pop music score

I went with Rhine without much thought. That’s a weak area for me

Bad defense all around, but I won 8(4)-5(3). Relegation is still possible but unlikely
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:27 am

And now I'm in the red.
On the last day of trig class, our teacher mentioned a mnemonic to remember all the functions -- the Indian Princess Sohcahtoa. We all laughed because we had it down so cold. Guess what? That's the only way I can remember it nowadays. When I got to the toa part, I realized I needed ao instead, so cotangent it was.
I've used Sohcahtoa and "Oscar had a heap of apples- sine, cosine, tangent ". The latter is more to remember, but it works for me, so whatever. 😀
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Has it been mentioned before how many of the LL questions are amazingly similar to recent episodes of Mastermind? I’ve watched the most recent season over the past few days and that first question about Industrial Blue was a direct lift as were other recent questions such as the one about the cricketer and his wicket.

I’m in an A rundle but I’m mired in 6th place. My defense needs work.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 pm

And now I'm in the red.
I've used Sohcahtoa and "Oscar had a heap of apples- sine, cosine, tangent ". The latter is more to remember, but it works for me, so whatever. 😀
Back in the day, I learned Sohcahtoa (and Choshacao). One of my former grad students learned a mnemonic in junior high school that I had never heard before. His teacher gave the mnemonic "Some old hippie caught another hippie tripping on acid". At the time, the (earnest and a bit socially awkward) student imagined someone slipping on a puddle of liquid. When he got a bit older, he had an "Ohhhhhh!" moment. I still find it hilarious thinking about that student relating that story, though I suspect it loses something in translation.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I just checked out the NAQT "You Gotta Know" for June 2021. It's usually loaded the first day of the month, but I'm dead certain I checked and it wasn't there at the beginning of the month.

The topic? "Countries once known by different names".

What's the first thing on the list? "Bangladesh adopted its current name upon gaining its independence from Pakistan in 1971".

Had I gotten that one correct on MD17, I'd be one point closer to the Championship zone. As it is, it'll take a miracle to get back there in the last 2 days. Le sigh.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 pm

And now I'm in the red.
Back in the day, I learned Sohcahtoa (and Choshacao). One of my former grad students learned a mnemonic in junior high school that I had never heard before. His teacher gave the mnemonic "Some old hippie caught another hippie tripping on acid". At the time, the (earnest and a bit socially awkward) student imagined someone slipping on a puddle of liquid. When he got a bit older, he had an "Ohhhhhh!" moment. I still find it hilarious thinking about that student relating that story, though I suspect it loses something in translation.
I couldn't suss out the naming conventions because I didn't learn them this way - I just know the functions cold by the rise/run relationships. I thought the included angle had two adjacent sides (which technically is true). It took the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz Scarecrow to get me sorted out on the labels: "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. ...". I misremembered this train wreck quote enough for me to realize the hypotenuse is always an included angle and then easily inferred the cotangent.

I had a minor beef on the quark question a couple of days ago in the syntax. I figured quark wouldn't be an answer because it is a class(?) of particle, and top quark, bottom quark, etc.. wouldn't work. And the question was in the singular form. I didn't know if proton and neutron had been kicked out of the elementary particle club but decided "Proton Publishing" might be a thing. I wouldn't have guessed quark even with better syntax.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:36 pm I just checked out the NAQT "You Gotta Know" for June 2021. It's usually loaded the first day of the month, but I'm dead certain I checked and it wasn't there at the beginning of the month.

The topic? "Countries once known by different names".

What's the first thing on the list? "Bangladesh adopted its current name upon gaining its independence from Pakistan in 1971".
But that doesn't fit the category any more than "The United States adopted its current name upon declaring independence from England in 1776." Or, say, Algeria and France. Bangladesh itself was never known by a different name. Good examples would be Siam/Thailand, Burma/Myanmar, and Dahomey/Benin.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Luckily, I knew Segal from The Owl and the Pussycat - but I should really pay more attention to the current events thread here