Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Volante »

Monday, MONDAY, MoNdAy!

So that means -Tuesday- we can start commiserating over how clever/evil the previous day's questions were. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:55 am Monday, MONDAY, MoNdAy!

So that means -Tuesday- we can start commiserating over how clever/evil the previous day's questions were. :lol:
The last few seasons, MD1 has kicked my derrière. Dunno if this is a conscious move by TAI or just the statistics of small numbers.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am in D Rubicon Div 2. Last season was my worst season since whichever one was the last season in 2018. I am really hoping that this one goes better.

Best of luck to everyone!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

It feels great to be back for the first time in over two years. I'm in Isthmus D-2.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 am It feels great to be back for the first time in over two years. I'm in Isthmus D-2.
Oh Isthmus D, oh Isthmus D...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:48 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 am It feels great to be back for the first time in over two years. I'm in Isthmus D-2.
How lovely are thy branches!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:48 am
Isthmus be his lucky day!
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Congrats, and good luck staying there!

I'm back in Taiga D for the fourth time in my eighth season. I've only been in the same rundle level once since I started, but the Division changed inexplicably.

Does anybody know the "algorithm" for the Division placement? I've been in all four sub-divisions of D and E. Is Div 1 slightly tougher than Div 2 (or vice versa)? I'm hoping at least to stay in the same sub-division as my referrals as I yo-yo in and out.

details:
Spoiler
In (rundle level)/(Div #) / (place) format, I've gone:
R2-9th (LL81)
D1- 23nd
E2 - 2nd
D1 - 10th
D2 - 25th
E1 - 5th
D2 - 27th
E1 - 3rd
D2 - tbd LL89 (I put the over/under at 24 of 30 :)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Just moved up to C for the 2nd time. First time I got bashed right back down to D. Let's see if I can stay up here for more than 1 season.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Good luck everyone!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 am

I'm back in Taiga D for the fourth time in my eighth season. I've only been in the same rundle level once since I started, but the Division changed inexplicably.

Does anybody know the "algorithm" for the Division placement? I've been in all four sub-divisions of D and E. Is Div 1 slightly tougher than Div 2 (or vice versa)? I'm hoping at least to stay in the same sub-division as my referrals as I yo-yo in and out.

details:
Spoiler
R2-9th (LL81)
D1- 23nd
E2 - 2nd
D1 - 10th
D2 - 25th
E1 - 5th
D2 - 27th
E1 - 3rd
Div 1 or Div 2 are not intended to be an easy/hard division, simply an arbitrary division of the players roughly in half with the rule that any players in the same branch should be placed in the same division, so if you have referrals in the same level they should always be in your division.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 am

details:
Spoiler
R2-9th (LL81)
D1- 23nd
E2 - 2nd
D1 - 10th
D2 - 25th
E1 - 5th
D2 - 27th
E1 - 3rd
Div 1 or Div 2 are not intended to be an easy/hard division, simply an arbitrary division of the players roughly in half with the rule that any players in the same branch should be placed in the same division, so if you have referrals in the same level they should always be in your division.
Thanks! 8 seasons in and I hadn't figured that out, or found out by clicking on the branch link where there is some info. I think I was in Sterlachi, but now have the honor of being in the newly minted morbeedo branch. Congrats to morbeedo on his promotion! :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:08 amI think I was in Sterlachi, but now have the honor of being in the newly minted morbeedo branch. Congrats to morbeedo on his promotion! :).
Ooooh! How exciting!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Greek for “pearl” - nope not in a million years. Mind went to capers, couscous, onions, salt, pepper- nothing fit. Margarine had me do a Scooby Doo on the reveal

Lol I thought my answer of Muhammad was a long shot (after considering Saud) - lo and behold, it’s the MCWA

Inauspicious start, losing on defense 4(4)-5(4) - boo
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm pretty please with my six pack yesterday, because those weren't easy questions. The part about "...originally had that name with a prefix derived from the Latin for '(olive) oil'" is what led me to margarine. I knew it was originally called oleomargarine and the "oleo" to olive oil leap didn't seem like a big one. "Pearl" certainly wasn't going to lead me anywhere close to margarine.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I won 5(4)-4(4); both my misses were headslappers and I was glad not to have cost myself the match.

On the Ramadan question I counted the number of items in the list, but I had already jumped to the conclusion that it was a geographical list, so I was just like, "What are there twelve of on the Arabian peninsula?" I ended up thinking they were emirates in the UAE, and rather than allowing the fact that both Abu Dhabi and Dubai were missing to sway me, convinced myself that Abu Dhabi was just the capital and not an emirate itself, and responded with Dubai. (The United Arab Emirates are seven in total, by the way.)

My other miss was embezzlement, which I actually considered before weakly guessing "usurpation."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 am I'm pretty please with my six pack yesterday, because those weren't easy questions. The part about "...originally had that name with a prefix derived from the Latin for '(olive) oil'" is what led me to margarine. I knew it was originally called oleomargarine and the "oleo" to olive oil leap didn't seem like a big one. "Pearl" certainly wasn't going to lead me anywhere close to margarine.
That was my thinking, too. Knowing that olive oil is a source of oleic acid was the clincher. After giving up 9 UfPA in all of season 88 I start off season 89 by giving up 3 UfPA :shock:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

instaget on Nazca lines

over 3 pounds per year of consumption got me thinking about condiments and even though I didn't think it would be correct, made an attempt with Mayo.

Ramadan came easy once I counted the "complete list"

mad at myself for not coming up with calf, but I focused on gastro and soleus (thinking of solar plexus) and tried to stay in the midsection. I tried thinking of any body part named for an animal, but didn't come up with calf.

I thought the Vatican might not qualify for the definition of microstate since other trivia questions call it a country, and with the "not without controversy) decided to go for it while also thinking Israel was pretty early, but I didn't remember any controversies.

embezzlement just wasn't going to happen
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:01 pm I thought the Vatican might not qualify for the definition of microstate since other trivia questions call it a country, and with the "not without controversy) decided to go for it while also thinking Israel was pretty early, but I didn't remember any controversies.
The controversy is/was that despite leading the world in vaccination, Palestinians living in the West Bank were not getting vaxxed (at least that's the one I recall).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got calf and embezzlement to pull out the ever popular 4(2)-3(1) victory. My opponent got Ramadan. If I had thought to count the list I might have gotten it but that was my zero question anyway.