Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 pm I knew sinister was related to being left handed and I’ve seen the etymology of ambidextrous somewhere before but I didn’t think of that connection. Went from Spanish derecha to Derek. Kicking myself for missing Dexter and Venice.
I got you beat ... I had droite (French), destra (Italian), and derecho (Spanish), and STILL couldn't get to Dexter. I, too, went with Derek, but knew there was no way that was Latin.

Went with jet for the engine, couldn't get out of Germany to get to Venice, and had no clue on cricket. Worst day this season for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:28 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 pm I knew sinister was related to being left handed and I’ve seen the etymology of ambidextrous somewhere before but I didn’t think of that connection. Went from Spanish derecha to Derek. Kicking myself for missing Dexter and Venice.
I got you beat ... I had droite (French), destra (Italian), and derecho (Spanish), and STILL couldn't get to Dexter. I, too, went with Derek, but knew there was no way that was Latin.
Apparently derecha is a cognate of "direct," not "dextrous." The Spanish equivalent of "dexter" is the less-used diestra. (There's also a Spanish word siniestra, but their more common word for "left" is izquierda, a Basque borrowing. I was under the impression at one point that they went Basque to ditch the negative connotations the Latin had acquired, but I'm not sure that's the case.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had no clue on Venice/diesel but thought dexter was common knowledge.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I had "wickets" for about 21 hours, but then I remembered they were in croquet, and why would be in both games? They aren't very similar.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Isn’t Othello generally portrayed by black actors? That’s how I got it.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

I found the Society for Ethical Culture question to be an interesting one yesterday -- it didn't ring a bell for me, but a large majority of my rundle knew it. Would love to hear where people know it from!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ilcap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 am I found the Society for Ethical Culture question to be an interesting one yesterday -- it didn't ring a bell for me, but a large majority of my rundle knew it. Would love to hear where people know it from!
It sounded familiar- took me a minute- then I remembered walking past the building on Central Park West in NYC. Wouldn’t have known it otherwise.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?

Me too...not everyday I get a Shakespeare question right! Didn't matter, I got crushed by @cmp146. If it weren't for 2 buckner wins this season, I'd be deep in the relegation zone. I'm barely above the red with 4 days to go, hoping to stay up in B but I am having my worst season by TCA in quite a while. A lot of times, my Koin misses haven't mattered in the match result but its pretty sad to see that only 3 players in B Magnolia have less than 80 TCA, and I'm at 66. Not good.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am

Depends on what era you look at. Othello is supposed to be played by black actors, but then white actors in blackface took a stretch. (Orson Welles, Olivier) More recently there was that negative image Othello with Patrick Stewart and a black cast.

That said...Othello is the only POC lead in the major Shakespeare canon so it doesn't take all that background in the first place
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had 2 correct yesterday and am back down to the relegation zone to E. I made a dumb mistake and picked Tantalus over Midas. I wasn't sure if Tantalus had ever been a king, but I remembered that Sisyphus, who was also famously punished in Greek mythology was a king, so I thought that Tantalus may have been. But my opponent did give me a 0 for that one.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:20 am
ilcap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 am I found the Society for Ethical Culture question to be an interesting one yesterday -- it didn't ring a bell for me, but a large majority of my rundle knew it. Would love to hear where people know it from!
It sounded familiar- took me a minute- then I remembered walking past the building on Central Park West in NYC. Wouldn’t have known it otherwise.
Yeah, this one seemed like a big advantage to New Yorkers, since Ethical Culture has multiple schools in the city, 'meeting houses' in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and advertises on the subway.
Volante wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:44 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am Is there a TOM I am missing here that 64% knew it was Othello, or is this just common knowledge to people other than me?
Depends on what era you look at. Othello is supposed to be played by black actors, but then white actors in blackface took a stretch. (Orson Welles, Olivier) More recently there was that negative image Othello with Patrick Stewart and a black cast.
I saw a production with a Latin Othello (John Ruiz), white Iago (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and the rest of the cast decidedly multi-ethnic. Without making any effort to establish a basis for the prejudices against Othello, and thus his paranoia, it was a mess. Maybe the worst play I've seen outside of workshop and high school productions.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 am I had "wickets" for about 21 hours, but then I remembered they were in croquet, and why would be in both games? They aren't very similar.
I was glad to see a clue about Ian Botham. My first visit to UK was 1986 and it was still in mid-century form. The sportswriting was like 1920's Ring Lardner prose. My favorite sports story line ever was: 'Ian Botham got caught slogging in mid-silly and was bowled for a duck". I learned enough about cricket to get this one, but it is still a trainwreck to sort out the innings, runs, and overs. A team may have a 200 run lead and be at a disadvantage to win.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 am
Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 am I had "wickets" for about 21 hours, but then I remembered they were in croquet, and why would be in both games? They aren't very similar.
I was glad to see a clue about Ian Botham. My first visit to UK was 1986 and it was still in mid-century form. The sportswriting was like 1920's Ring Lardner prose. My favorite sports story line ever was: 'Ian Botham got caught slogging in mid-silly and was bowled for a duck". I learned enough about cricket to get this one, but it is still a trainwreck to sort out the innings, runs, and overs. A team may have a 200 run lead and be at a disadvantage to win.
I just wish cricket would get out of beta already. How many more tests do they need to run?!

*waits for a rugby question to try and make the same exact joke again...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm pretty well ensconced in the middle of my rundle (sitting at 15th currently). With three days left it's going to be a very average season for me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

It looks like as usual, I'm likely to be sitting in the top 10 but with no promotion to C. At least I'm consistent.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I’m on track to set a personal record for TCA and yet still not safe from relegation in B Taiga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sitting in the final promotion spot to C.

Yesterday was odd. My Science score is .277 and I was assigned zero for quark, which I missed. My Game/Sport is .573 (much better on Sport than Game) and I bagged three on North Carolina. Granted, women’s soccer isn’t a mainstream sport, but still. Got one point in my best category of American History.

I know if I get promoted I won’t last long but it will be fun to try.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:05 pm I’m on track to set a personal record for TCA and yet still not safe from relegation in B Taiga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It would take an epic collapse and comeback for the bubble player to make up 24 MPD in a 3 game sweep.

But, if it happened, we could play each other in LL90 :lol: . Somehow I'm in 3rd (4 advance) in Taiga D with 3 days to go and might wind up visiting C for a season. My DE is above 0.700, about twice my usual. I guess if I get a cup of coffee in C, it won't hurt anymore than the beatdowns in D the three times I flunked out.

eta: I just saw Bamaman's simulpost. C rundle here we come (I hope). But do we stay? :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Very likely I will get relegated to C. Anything that could go wrong has.