Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:10 pm
Schliemann wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm I'M GOING FOR THE KILL
Yeah, the kid lost me right there.
He lost his opponents right there too!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I wanted to see Sarah bet at least 5000 on her DD. She seemed woefully unprepared for that situation.
Was expecting her to leave some on the table for FJ, but the extra time to think about it must have been enough to come to the right conclusion.
Ironhorse wrote: I didn't have a problem with the way Ryan handled himself. I think "I'm going for the kill" would have been inappropriate in regular play, but the Tournament of Champions is a different beast altogether.
*This*

Got the Lach Trash on Hen's Teeth and Chicken Scratch
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

John Boy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 pmAs excellent as these three were, I was surprised to see no one able to come up with "hen's teeth." I guess that's a phrase only we codgers use.
I think "scarce as" is what made this a TS. It's far more commonly phrased "rare as hen's teeth" (56.9k G-hits vs. 22.4k for scarce).

Gotta wonder if that goose stepping clue is gonna start another flame war. Seems like really poor timing to use a clue like that so close on the heels of Donohue's three-finger gesture and the resultant controversy, but maybe this tournament was taped before that aired.

Damned impressive work by Ryan.
In and out of the pool four times
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:12 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:10 pm
Schliemann wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm I'M GOING FOR THE KILL
Yeah, the kid lost me right there.
He lost his opponents right there too!
I'M GOING FOR THE KILL! (no I'm not, I'm leaving 10,000 on the table early in DJ just in case)
Sorry, kid. You were going for the clinch. Not too classy. [clucks tongue]

I meant to post my prediction that Buzzy would tear it up, and he did. Not a single glitch until the delayed acceptance of 'Burns' on the last clue. I hope he can mellow a little. He's always using his outside voice and that might get old over a long season. Think baseball, not WWE. Well, maybe football, so we stay awake.

I have always meant to look up Draconian as I just learned the meaning by osmosis. I didn't know it was a dude, and would have thought it was a place name.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $21,200

35 R (3 DDs), 5 W. Also fell for the Boardwalk negbait.

FJ-- :mrgreen:

LT: Galilee
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:51 pm I've been getting Guiteau and Czolgosz mixed up and I'll add that to my list of things I get confused.
I finally got these straight by noting that Guiteau and Garfield both start with a G, then Czolgosz and McKinley is the other one.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Fantastic game all around. Great job by Buzzy, espeafter the dreariness of the last 2 weeks. I didn’t remember Ryan or Sarah so I was rooting for Jason who I’ve met at that Vegas trivia thing. Ryan was a bit aggressive at times but he had the knowledge to win easily. I’m much weaker than I’d like to be in Greek bs. I went with Solon but realized Draco was correct as soon as I saw it.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:14 am
MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:51 pm I've been getting Guiteau and Czolgosz mixed up and I'll add that to my list of things I get confused.
I finally got these straight by noting that Guiteau and Garfield both start with a G, then Czolgosz and McKinley is the other one.
That's very helpful! Thanks for the tip.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I feel like...this is one of those situations where the "rest versus rust" method comes into the picture.

Jason hasn't played a game since September 26, 2019. That's more than a year taken off from him.

Boy...I gotta tell you, Ryan definitely dominated the game, straight up.

I kind of felt bad for Jason and Sarah, who spent the majority of the game playing catch-up after Ryan got both of his DDs right. Not to mention, did better than both Jason and Sarah combined in terms of answers right in this game (Jason, 16; Sarah, 11 < Ryan, 28).

Considering the positioning in which Sarah and Jason were in heading into FJ!, I figured gambling everything was the right call, considering that it was more so if they got FJ! right while vying for a wildcard spot.

Only thing I can say is...that I hope Jason's $18,800 can hold on after this week because I have a feeling we're going to be in for some really tough tournament quarterfinal matches. Expect them to be hot.

Can't say this was unexpected, but...what a great (and wild) start to the ToC.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

One newspaper wrote:

The name of the assassin Czolgosz is pronounced Tcholgosh or Cholgosh, almost unpronounceable in the American tongue, and so let it be. Mention not his name, but consign it to Everlasting forgetfulness, shame, and dishonor.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"Marvin (sic) Gardens" sounded right, though perhaps only because I remembered the movie title "King of Marvin (sic) Gardens", which came out the same year as the essay, with which it has nothing to do.

The "hen's teeth" clue wanted some pinning. I was not surprised to note just now thousands of matches for "rare as a dodo".

I am a bit surprised to see that both Guiteau and Czolgosz actually had middle names. I wonder if Ryan does too?
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Lefty wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:27 am
I am a bit surprised to see that both Guiteau and Czolgosz actually had middle names. I wonder if Ryan does too?
David
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ryan was most impressive. I don’t mind demonstrative contestants, though I can see why some could find him off putting in this particular game.

Jason and Sarah made the right FJ bets in what is always a tough call. You either go very big in this spot or very small. Glad neither one went for $4,000 or something similar. Maybe Sarah could have simply bet enough to get a $1 over Jason just to have a few hundred left behind in case the rest of the week goes haywire, but the odds of that are slim.

You would think Jason’s score will hold, but you never know.....
Last edited by yclept on Tue May 18, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed TV on PBS $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

It will be interesting to see if Jason did enough for a wild card. He certainly made the most of the last few moments to give himself a shot. Did not care for Ryan's exuberance, but he surely backed it up.

Nice to start the TOC with a FJ solve, although on this toss-up I always worry about Solon.

Thought Buzzy was good.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:03 pm I didn't have a problem with the way Ryan handled himself. I think "I'm going for the kill" would have been inappropriate in regular play, but the Tournament of Champions is a different beast altogether.
Yes. The "kill" comment came off as a light-hearted, collegial moment to me.

Buzzy did a phenomenal job. This was a non-professional broadcaster on day one? Go, Buzzy, go!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

squarekara wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am Buzzy did a phenomenal job. This was a non-professional broadcaster on day one? Go, Buzzy, go!
Ditto. Just a super job. I never once thought about the hosting during the reading, which is a mark of a good host.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 am
squarekara wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am Buzzy did a phenomenal job. This was a non-professional broadcaster on day one? Go, Buzzy, go!
Ditto. Just a super job. I never once thought about the hosting during the reading, which is a mark of a good host.
+1 - I have a few coaching notes for him but great job!

Jason’s bottoms-up strategy was DOA - let’s see how he does in the semis (banking on him getting through)

I’m sure Ryan’s a good guy but he came off as slightly unhinged last night. Impressive debut nevertheless

Got caught up in a tailspin on the wording and delivery of the FJ clue. Of course it clicked on the reveal but I was never ever getting there. I’ve thought about stopping the tape whenever I get stumped by a tricky final and taking time to figure it out but I’ve always thrown in the towel after a couple of minutes.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Ryan's comment was consistent with anybody who is a fierce competitor actually trying to win the game unlike so many contestants we see during regular game play. If you have an issue with it, perhaps being on the show isn't for you.

Of course Sarah should have gone TDD late in the game, a miss wagering either $4k or $5800 means you're done, so might as well risk it all. And since you've already played multiple games, who cares if you aren't around for FJ if you have zero chance. In this case, $11600 makes a lot more semifinals than $9800. As played, I believe she was correct in wagering everything in FJ. With $11600 I think it could go either way, perhaps category dependent. Definitely either an all or nothing wager.

As already mentioned, she had not even thought about this possibility, which is really sad based on how long she had to prepare.

Thought Buzzy did a very good job, liked the energy and pacing.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:42 am Jason hasn't played a game since September 26, 2019. That's more than a year taken off from him.
Jason said on his FB page, where he's posting a day-by-day recap of the tournament, that he's spent quite a bit of time preparing, including playing mock games against some of the best quizzers out there.