Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT GREEKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Plutarch quotes this man who sentenced many to death: "Small ones deserve that, and I have no higher for the greater crimes"

Jason Zuffranieri: 9400+9400=18800
Ryan Bilger: 32400+5=32405 (Semifinalist)
Sarah Jett Rayburn: 9800-9800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Draco (Sarah – Crito)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 3800+3800
Ryan: 16000+6000
Sarah: 5800+4000

Coryats
Jason: 9400
Ryan: 24000
Sarah: 7000

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 4200
Ryan: 9200
Sarah: 5000
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon May 17, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Buzzy was Buzzy and the host energy level sure went up after the Whitaker weeks with a more low-key style. This is California and my ears do not like "TORE-nuh-muhnt. My preference is Johnny's way of saying the word.

It reminds of Kelly Ripa saying "horror" the Jersey East Coast way while I prefer the "whore" way.

The DD hunting seemed little off as the players did not have AMERICAN HISTORY as the top spot in the J! round while that would have been my #1 choice. In the DJ! round TIME was called after DD2 and before DD3.

Well done by Sarah to give herself a shot at the semis in staying within range of Jason and capitalizing on DD3 to be a little better than him on the scoreboard after 60 clues.

Ryan already had to sit through one TOC without playing so today he was more than ready to set himself up for four games and the remainder of the day relaxing. We can't know who Ryan will face in the semis though it will now not be a 19x winner.

Jason looked to be in trouble through some of the match, but in the QF round enough of a score and a double up on the FJ! clue can get you to the final 9. If the two non-winners both double up to higher scores tomorrow than 18800 then an upset is still in play.

This is not 2003 so I have no expectation of Sarah making it through with a 9800-9800=0 though I won't mark her as a quarterfinalist with $5000 yet in the archive.

The FJ! category had me precall lots of letters alphabet names that has been in a FJ! clue before and I was not thinking people.

The FJ! clue had me write Solon. In still thinking during the music and on the lawmaker track I knew it was not Hammurabi. Fortunately, that gave me the inspiration to make a switch and match the gentlemen for the solve. [Wipes brow]

It was a fast match and I felt exhausted watching and playing along from home as Buzzy added to the amped up vibe. If Buzzy can tone it down half a notch tomorrow then I think he has a chance to be up there with Ken, Anderson and Aaron for best guest hosts.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I stayed on Solon, so I don't have to worry about the perfecto for the tourney. Nice to have that pressure off, right from the start.

The correct response made sense once it was revealed. I'm going to check Asimov's Words from History later today, and I expect I'll find this one in there, at which point I will curse myself, again, for putting off taking a deep dive into that series.

ETA: It sure was, with basically the same anecdote presented. Shoot.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Wow, lol. I feel very vindicated predicting Ryan to make the finals now. Would love to see him rematch with both Sam and Jason for the finals, though I'm still rooting for Jennifer to get a spot and win it all. Or Mackenzie.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:55 pm
It reminds of Kelly Ripa saying "horror" the Jersey East Coast way while I prefer the "whore" way.
Not something I expected to ever see you write. :lol:

I also thought Buzzy did a fine job.

A good game and Ryan made excellent use of the DDs to make the next round. Both trailers made good FJ bets, hate it for Sarah it didn’t work out.

Draco was an LL question a few seasons ago and I got it then but drew a blank tonight.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

+1 Solon
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm Draco was an LL question a few seasons ago and I got it then but drew a blank tonight.
You have an interesting definition of "a few" ... it was 23 seasons ago.

(and a much easier clue).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Nice win by Ryan! I also really enjoyed Buzzy's hosting.

The World Geography and Classical Music category were easy runs, but the rest of this board got the better of me.

Instant get FJ. I wasn't sure, but I was pretty confident and had no other guess.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

I'M GOING FOR THE KILL
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Fowl Language, American History, Mondays, Classical Music,
DDs: :D :( :D
trash: hen's teeth, chicken feed (1200),
FJ: Who is Draco? :mrgreen: WECIB for me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wow! I'm just now decompressing after what seemed like an astonishingly fast-paced game. When they came to the finish I thought they would have to stand around and stare at the clock because they had gotten to the finish way before the scheduled end time.

All of which made for an excellent game, IMO. I had wondered which guest host would get the distinction of having his/her very first trial at the guest host position in the biggest games of the season, and likened it to a guy who has never officiated an NFL game until he's asked to referee the Super Bowl. Buzzy of course acquitted himself wonderfully and may have just vaulted past the producer (again IMO) my favorite to become the full-time host some day. We shall see.

Meanwhile, who lit a rocket under Ryan??? Jeez, Louise, that was an impressive start to the ToC. These three set a pretty high bar for the rest of the contestants, so I'm really looking forward to the rest of the games.

As excellent as these three were, I was surprised to see no one able to come up with "hen's teeth." I guess that's a phrase only we codgers use.

Double Meanwhile, I almost trashed my shot at a ToC FJ perfecto when I read the (too-complicated) clue, thought about a severe Greek lawmaker, and wrote down Galen. Stared at that for about 5 seconds until I said, "No, that ain't right," and struggled to remember "what the heck is that adjective for a harsh lawmaker?" and came up with Draco with time to spare.

See you guys tomorrow.

Stay safe.
davey

Post by davey »

I loved the fast pace which inspired me to my highest score in weeks...But the quick wits evaporated a little early. I knew the FJ formed an adjective, but I couldn't come up with it in time... :evil: ... :oops:
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I didn't hate Bill as guest host, but he seemed too formal and stiff. By comparison, Buzzy was a breath of fresh air, all energetic and loose. Loved the fast, frantic pace, even though it was kind of hard to keep up at home.

Excellent game to start the tournament. Very impressive performance by Ryan, and kudos to Jason for managing to salvage a possible wild card. Sarah did well too against two tough competitors.

Nice of Jason to mention my hometown, even if it did cost him $1200.

I was preparing for a miss with the FJ category, but to my surprise and relief, it was an instaget. Nice to see I retained something from that boring classics course I took my first year of university.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Schliemann wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm I'M GOING FOR THE KILL
Yeah, the kid lost me right there.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Heck of an impressive performance by Ryan. Jason did just enough to give himself a chance. It’s always a nice feeling to get Lach trash in the TOC. I also thought that Buzzy was good in the host’s role. If I’m TPTB, he’s in the mix for Alex’s successor.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Solon, only because my brain refused to finish the equation, "Five letter name, adjective for incredibly strict and harsh."
I'm sure if I hit pause I could've gotten to it but that doesn't count.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues.

Really great game. I was apprehensive about Buzzy but that game was excellent and that speaks to his performance. Not sure how much credit goes to the excellent contestants. Hard to make a comparison to the other guest hosts because of how the contestants raised the bar.

Ryan played really well. He must have enjoyed all the US History clues in this game. From the first category at the start of the game he looked like he had a big buzzer advantage. I'm curious what strategy he was using, if he was timing it by ear or playing off the lights. If he wants to post here about his buzzer strategy and preparation then I'll eagerly read it. Ryan and Jason both held the buzzer the way recommended by Holznagel.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Skopje, Charlotte Amalie, Richard Strauss/Thus Spake Zarathustra, McKinley/Czolgosz, and Sigmund Freud. I've been getting Guiteau and Czolgosz mixed up and I'll add that to my list of things I get confused.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I didn't have a problem with the way Ryan handled himself. I think "I'm going for the kill" would have been inappropriate in regular play, but the Tournament of Champions is a different beast altogether.