Wednesday, May 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MIDDLE EASTERN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 6 countries that border the Red Sea, it’s last alphabetically

Jennifer Quail: 17900+2750=20650 (Semi-Finalist)
Paul Trifiletti: 5800-5700=100
Ryan Hemmel: 10200+1400=11600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Yemen (Paul – Yemen Saudi Arabia)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 3800+1500
Ryan: 4800+4800
Ryan: 9600-3000

Coryats
Jennifer: 17000
Paul: 5800
Ryan: 10000

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jennifer: 5100
Paul: 2200
Ryan: 3600
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I knew this was going to be 0/3 when I saw the category. Apparently, I have no idea where the Red Sea is. Now I do, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Buzzy opened with a mention of $250K being matched to Hope of the Valley Trebek Center.

Jennifer's chat centered around watching J! while in the hospital for a pulmonary embolism. Great to see she's recovered well and able to compete.

Paul had some good gets while 5800 left him needing to bet big on the FJ! clue. It may or may not matter that his possible 11500 ($100 bucks shy of Ryan's total) was lost due to crossing out the correct response.

Ryan at 11600 is in a shaky spot for a wildcard with two players above him and two games to go with FJ! clues leaning so far on the easier side. Ryan had a possible 20400 which would have been below Jennifer's winning total though would have placed him currently at WC1 where Jason looks good to make the semis.

The FJ! category had me using the break to try to recall as many countries as I could and after that to start working on capital cities. I knew over half while I was definitely shy of 3/4s.

The FJ! clue had me write the correct place with no crossing out although I had lots of doubt until Ryan was correct. What helped me get it was a silly memory thing that has stuck with me of "YO" for the big boy's countries to the south.

If the clue had wanted the last two alphabetically I have no doubt I would have missed it. The first two alphabetically? Perhaps.

Jennifer woulda/coulda/shoulda had a runaway, but missed the lock due to some incorrect responses and leaving money on the table at DD1.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7026

Misses, media clues, and Buzzy speaks added up to slow going.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Buzzy's voice doesn't sit right with me. He always sounds like he's shouting.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I had Yemen than Changed to to saudi Arabia thinking it was a Trap. Oops.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:33 pm I knew this was going to be 0/3 when I saw the category. Apparently, I have no idea where the Red Sea is. Now I do, though.
I wasn’t really sure where it was other than a general idea but got it on a lucky guess.

Jennifer was in a good spot where she could go for the kill without killing her chances if she doesn’t win the game. Turns out she wins no matter what. Ryan didn’t help himself much.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:33 pm I knew this was going to be 0/3 when I saw the category. Apparently, I have no idea where the Red Sea is. Now I do, though.
I've been in the Red Sea, so I know exactly where it is. Sadly, I could only name the bordering countries I've been to, which are Egypt and SA.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought Paul's answer of Darwin Award might be reversed, as the clue was asking for the scientist, not the award itself.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Bad CC again: "What is geranium?" instead of uranium for Jennifer's response in the water category.

I also felt that Yemen was too obvious, but stuck with it anyways.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At first I thought Buzzy was in error in announcing second-place player Ryan, rather than third-place player Paul, had a score that left him "still in this" pre-FJ!

After FJ!, Buzzy was right, and only Ryan was "still in this" after all.
Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:56 pm I thought Paul's answer of Darwin Award might be reversed, as the clue was asking for the scientist, not the award itself.
Yeah, they're picky about a lot of things, but never the addition of information that is not incorrect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Water, Hell & High,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Ricin (rebound), helplessness, The Name of the Rose DD, Handmaid's Tale (3200)
FJ: What is Yemen? :mrgreen: (Z countries further south)
Shoulda got Cuervos. Could not pull Wallenberg or Savonarola. :(
Despite Buzzy's words, I don't think 11600 will make the cut for the wildcard. Don't understand Ryan's bet there). :?
I thought Buzzy's New York mannerisms would be too much, but he has kept a lid on those while still being Buzzy. He has Ken's knowledge and unlike Ken, a voice for hosting. AFAIC, Buzzy has the job if he wants it. 8-)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another well-played game. Jennifer certainly impressed. In terms of difficulty, I’d put this between day 1 and day 2. Another fairly simple FJ, though.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:21 pm
I wasn’t really sure where it was other than a general idea but got it on a lucky guess.

Jennifer was in a good spot where she could go for the kill without killing her chances if she doesn’t win the game. Turns out she wins no matter what. Ryan didn’t help himself much.
Adding an extra $149 is really a curious choice here, this is one time where it makes absolutely zero sense to ever wager more than a cent above the MSB.

Similary curious is Ryan's bet to only get up to $11600 on a get. It has seemed in recent TOCs that with the wide array of information availabke, (J-Archive, Jeopardy! Fan, The Final Wager, the cutoffs thread here), most of the players had the right general idea in knowing they needed to target the $14,000 range to feel safe for a wildcard, but Ryan undershot it considerably and it seems quite likely to cost him.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easiest FJ of the week for me. Good game overall.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'll brag and say I got all 6.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:38 pm Buzzy's voice doesn't sit right with me. He always sounds like he's shouting.
He is nebbishy. I don't think he is a candidate to be the permanent host because of his infernal need to explain everything, like Eeyore being Winnie the Pooh's friend. That will not play with viewers and they would switch off Jeopardy instead of listening to that every night.

Go, Jennifer. You rock. I just might be cheering for you in the semi-finals.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:38 pm Buzzy's voice doesn't sit right with me. He always sounds like he's shouting.
He is nebbishy. I don't think he is a candidate to be the permanent host because of his infernal need to explain everything, like Eeyore being Winnie the Pooh's friend. That will not play with viewers and they would switch off Jeopardy instead of listening to that every night.

Go, Jennifer. You rock. I just might be cheering for you in the semi-finals.
I just assumed they added the explanations to bring the program to an appropriate length because of the fast pace of these games.