Thursday, May 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

I said paper pusher. Judges?

I got Love right away and thought it was incredibly easy mostly due to a 1963 event. "This Dallas airport?" WECIB?

I said Calvert and Penn. Is that good enough? I did my best to ignore that the Mason-Dixon Line turned South and forms the border between Maryland and Delaware.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:49 pm Full credit roll.
The FJ! clue had me correctly place the line by the right two states. From there it was guess the names. Buzzy only gave one variant for the Lord and I went a different way with a family name instead of a city.

The J! Fan has George or Cecil to match the last name. Should I go with that for the archive or only stick with what Buzzy said.

For the poll I'm counting myself correct even though I did not specify a last name.
I'm very confused by this, what did you say if you didn't give a last name? Did you mistype and mean you didn't specify a first name?

For the record I said Penn and Calvert and I believe it to be clearly correct. It said CREST OF THESE TWO MEN, so you just had to identify the men, not the crest. So you don't need the noble title, simply identify the men and therefore Calvert should be fine. I would even call it an error on the part of the show not pointing out that either Baltimore or Calvert is sufficient, possibly frustrating many viewers who believed they were correct but were seemingly told otherwise.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Also said "paper pusher", and "Calvert and Penn".

Side note - Buzzy is doing a great job!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:56 pm I said paper pusher. Judges?
I, too, said "paper pusher." After a brief search, I think the judges would have to accept it.

Being fuzzy on the details surrounding the Mason-Dixon line, I WAG'd Lord Baltimore and William Penn and was pretty stoked to get the ToJ triple-stumper!
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I said Calvert and then wrote Baltimore really fast to have a second name.

What makes it kinda dumb is that I live in Pennsylvania, and didn't even think of Penn. What makes it a lot dumber is that they are the same person. When you only have thirty second and you have to come up with two names. You do get rushed. It probably took me 15 seconds to come up with Calvert.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:49 pm Full credit roll.
The FJ! clue had me correctly place the line by the right two states. From there it was guess the names. Buzzy only gave one variant for the Lord and I went a different way with a family name instead of a city.

The J! Fan has George or Cecil to match the last name. Should I go with that for the archive or only stick with what Buzzy said.

For the poll I'm counting myself correct even though I did not specify a last name.
I'm very confused by this, what did you say if you didn't give a last name? Did you mistype and mean you didn't specify a first name?

For the record I said Penn and Calvert and I believe it to be clearly correct. It said CREST OF THESE TWO MEN, so you just had to identify the men, not the crest. So you don't need the noble title, simply identify the men and therefore Calvert should be fine. I would even call it an error on the part of the show not pointing out that either Baltimore or Calvert is sufficient, possibly frustrating many viewers who believed they were correct but were seemingly told otherwise.
Not my best work there in trying to share what I did without blatantly spoiling it for someone who accidentally stumbles into the the thread early and not wanting to use spoiler tags since the thread is already marked spoilers.

I wrote Penn & Calvert and later added a "Wm." to "Penn".

I agree it would have been nice and also helpful if Buzzy had worked in something about Calvert.

Definitely count a response of Penn & Calvert for the poll.
davey

Post by davey »

Sherm wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:41 pm I said Calvert and then wrote Baltimore really fast to have a second name.

What makes it kinda dumb is that I live in Pennsylvania, and didn't even think of Penn. What makes it a lot dumber is that they are the same person. When you only have thirty second and you have to come up with two names. You do get rushed. It probably took me 15 seconds to come up with Calvert.
I did the same, and I'm originally from PA, but I had more of a rationale. I thought, since it was a "crest," both names should be nobility. I also forgot that the M-D Line formed borders between states, rather than just a North/South demarcation. AND since Maryland was a non-seceding border state, legitimately not fully North or South, I thought maybe the line ran through the state...Of course, my response also means that I forgot Calvert and Baltimore were the same person... :oops:
My only consolation is that I did much better through the game than I have since Monday. Though I was disappointed that I could only remember the Porter musical as "Red, Something, and Blue." But I was pleased that Mackenzie allowed me to fill in the blank on "The Glass Bead Game."
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:36 pm I was surprised that Buzzy said who the three previous winners were at the beginning. I felt that could potentially provide some information, notably, that Jason had not won his game, and that potentially the wild card cutoff could be a little higher.
Haven't COVID-era tapings had the contestants socially distanced in the audience section (i.e., where they'd be able to see the games which are taped before theirs) instead of locked away in the green room? Or is it different for the TOC & they're strictly not allowed to know anything about the previously-taped games ahead of their own taping?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

brucejoel199 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:25 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:36 pm I was surprised that Buzzy said who the three previous winners were at the beginning. I felt that could potentially provide some information, notably, that Jason had not won his game, and that potentially the wild card cutoff could be a little higher.
Haven't COVID-era tapings had the contestants socially distanced in the audience section (i.e., where they'd be able to see the games which are taped before theirs) instead of locked away in the green room? Or is it different for the TOC & they're strictly not allowed to know anything about the previously-taped games ahead of their own taping?
Not sure exactly how they sequester them but there's no way they'd let those who had yet to play see what the previous scores were.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Even though I had my first FJ miss of the tournament I found this to be by far the easiest board so far. And aside from Havel at the bottom of the board it seemed to be an appropriate difficulty overall. Interestingly my only miss in Battles was the Korean War, in the top row.

I guessed Lewis and Clark for FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:31 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:25 pm
Not sure exactly how they sequester them but there's no way they'd let those who had yet to play see what the previous scores were.
Players yet to play in the QF round were sequestered in the WoF studio. No, they did not get to spin the wheel.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm impressed by anyone who got that FJ and hasn't lived in the Mid-Atlantic region or at least spent a lot of time there.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:50 pm I'm impressed by anyone who got that FJ and hasn't lived in the Mid-Atlantic region or at least spent a lot of time there.
Thanks! :D

I've spent maybe a week total in the area over my (mumble, mumble) years.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:01 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:50 pm I'm impressed by anyone who got that FJ and hasn't lived in the Mid-Atlantic region or at least spent a lot of time there.
Thanks! :D

I've spent maybe a week total in the area over my (mumble, mumble) years.
I second Kirk's comment. All this chatter about Calvert and what he ate for breakfast and I never heard of the dude. It seems like a true TOC worthy clue.

I'll take "Go Big or Go Home" over "blank blank kill". Too bad he's going home :( . Hobby, Love, and Midway are probably the only secondary airports I can name. I don't consider the LA regional ones or Dulles/BWI/Voldemort ones to be secondary in the same way. Newark is almost in the category. Otherwise, I know what airport I'm landing in for every other US city.

If a white male has to get the hosting gig, I want Buzzy. If the crybaby Quarterback gets it, I'll play from the archive.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

before i retired, i used to joke that i didn't bill by the hour; i billed by the pound.
"paper pusher" is surely acceptable.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

36R. 4/4 on big clues. Said Penn and Calvert for FJ. If I could remember the first names I would have tried to use them.

Missed nobility and said royalty. Missed Dodgers and said Astros. I'm surrounded by Dodgers people so that would have been a really bad one to miss on the show.

Wildcard spots are close and up for grabs. Excited to see what happens tomorrow. I thought Ben made the right choice to go all-in for his DD wager but it didn't work out this time.

I got Coriolanus and Cymbeline mixed up. Wouldn't have tried to ring in. There are a handful of Shakespeare plays that I haven't read and both of those are on that list.

Some clues I missed that I want to get next time are Sepia, Henderson, Cymbeline, Moynihan, and Shiloh.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

NHO Lewis Hamilton. The only race car drivers with that last name I could think of were Pete Hamilton and Bobby Hamilton. Both too obscure for J!

California AFB where the space shuttle lands is bottom row... Huh?
Bamaman wrote:Gutsy move standing pat by McKenzie but it paid off with her miss.
Is that supposed to be an oxi-moron? There have been some bad choices for wildcard seekers in this tournament so far but McKenzie's is the worst.
She would have been toast if she had wagerd big (she should have), but she is most likely toast anyway.
Imagine how she would have felt after seeing Kevin's wager, if an easy peasy clue had come up.

Speaking of Kevin. It's interesting that he felt comfortable standing pat at 16000, but didn't dare take the chance of falling to 13999 for a shot at locking in the win.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

"Eastern end" of the Mason-Dixon line took me to the Twelve Mile Circle, so I was trying to think of someone for Delaware to go along with Penn. I figured it was too early for the DuPonts, and that took me back to Maryland, My Maryland (which, as of this week, is no longer the state song so we longer have to sing about Northern Scum) which landed me on the desired question.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:56 am . . . and that took me back to Maryland, My Maryland (which, as of this week, is no longer the state song so we longer have to sing about Northern Scum.)
Aw, man. :cry: I miss my Georgia-born father-in-law busting out some of those extreme lyrics at the drop of a hat.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Given that MacKenzie was going with the “stand pat” strategy, she is likely kicking herself for missing a $2,000 clue in DJ. That’s how it goes sometimes but I was rooting for MacKenzie and now she needs a miracle.

If you have a middling score midway through DJ, I fully support the all-in on a DD. It just didn’t work out.