Tuesday, May 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOBEL-WINNING NOVELISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Falsely accused of murder, a character in his 1948 novel becomes "tyrant over the whole county’s white conscience"

Ryan Bilger: 13600+2402=16002
Veronica Vichit-Vadakan: 16000+15400=31400 (Finalist)
Kevin Walsh: 3000-3000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
William Faulkner (Kevin – Baldwin)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 2000+2000
Veronica: 4200+4200
Ryan: 11000-5000

Coryats
Ryan: 17600
Veronica: 13000
Kevin: 3000

Combined: 33,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 7400
Veronica: 2600
Kevin: minus 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Veronica was negged and Ryan rebounded to then find DD1 on the next pick. It was a game shifter as the J! round was plodding along and suddenly Ryan built a little lead by the end of the round.

MEDICAL MILESTONES, ROCK BANDS, THE FINEST OF FINE ARTS, VEGETABLES, THE "TOC", A PALACE IN HISTORY

Yes, the DD "could" be in any of those categories, but to me I "knew" which categories had them as soon as Buzzy indicated the palaces would be Clue Crew. Yes, Andy's question in another thread and my somewhat snarky response set me up to face a full category today from Jimmy & Sarah.

Veronica found DD2 and doubled up. Ryan found DD3 and with a small gap from Veronica's 11600 to his 11000 he bet 5 large. Ryan knew one S guy and could not pull the other. Ryan through the rest of the round closed the gap a bit though not nearly enough to have the lead on a double-solved FJ! clue.

It's a haunting moment for Ryan and he won't be able to escape it as the 2nd DD3 guy a name that comes up every so often through many areas and not just watching J!

Ryan was using praying hands after going to 16002 with his correct response for the FJ! clue. Buzzy handled the moment well (in not giving anything away) as viewers waited to see Veronica's response. The solve and win brought tears to Veronica and the camera zoomed in for a shot of her face. That's the way to show rankers what to do with their bronze status. Well done indeed by Veronica.

The FJ! category had me precall Buck and Morrison in thinking the winning author might be a woman.

The FJ! clue had me write Warren in thinking of the title that would not come to me (All the King's Men) and the author did not win a Nobel anyway. Not my category and I was not going to solve that clue correctly.

The finals have a 5x and a 4x. Tomorrow we add a 19, 8 or C to the mix.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I got Faulkner on a stone cold guess. "County" is the TOM, though it isn't obvious.

It looks like the book in the clue is Intruder in the Dust, which isn't on my flashcards, even though just about everything else by Faulkner is.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SF2 is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7030

What a nightmare of a game to archive.

The CCer did not even try on the Holidays $800. I used Google to take my best guess at what I heard, though not sure at all.

The CCer had Muppet and I went with "moppet" on another clue.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm I got Faulkner on a stone cold guess. "County" is the TOM, though it isn't obvious.

It looks like the book in the clue is Intruder in the Dust, which isn't on my flashcards, even though just about everything else by Faulkner is.
Wow, that is one stealthily hidden TOM. I went with Richard Wright, thinking 1940s author + race relations.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Unlike yesterday's instaget, I wouldn't have gotten this with 100 guesses. I said Huxley just to say something.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Should have had this FJ, read some Faulkner in high school. Ended on Sinclair Lewis. Way to go Veronica!

Ryan, congrats on your success and, most importantly, thanks for representing us twenty-somethings well. We are a knowledgeable, passionate and sometimes irritating bunch. :lol: It's been a lot of fun watching you, Nibir, Brayden and others recently.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm I got Faulkner on a stone cold guess. "County" is the TOM, though it isn't obvious.

Yes, Buzzy said it was Intruder in his wrap-up. "County" is a strong pointer, but I'd say "white conscience" should also have helped for a race-conscious Nobelist in the 1940s. Unfortunately Faulkner did not come to mind during the break, and I found myself stuck overseas, getting hung up on the word "tyrant" and taking "White" to be a reference to White Russians... :roll: But it couldn't be Pasternak cause he was used in the game. That left me with Solzhenitsyn, but '48 seemed awfully early. (Not entirely, but he didn't start publishing till the 60s...) I ended up with Arthur Koestler, who wrote the anti-Soviet novel Darkness at Noon. He didn't win the Nobel... :roll: All along, the obvious response was closer to home...
I was sure that the beverage company was Coors...Turns out the patriarch of that family was Adolph, not Adolphus.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

I was pretty sure it wasn't Steinbeck, but I knew it was at least the right time frame and he probably had a Nobel, so it was the best I was able to come up with in 30 seconds. I was happy to be as close as I was.

I feel for Ryan though. Sometimes the stars align for you and you beat a 19-time champ, but sometimes you end up facing a librarian with the category NOBEL-WINNING NOVELISTS and you just know the Jeopardy! Gods are saying "not today".
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I found the J! round to be very difficult, except for the DD. I guessed Swan Lake for Sleeping Beauty on the first DJ round DD. Salk and Sabin were both instant gets; I thought for sure Ryan would know both.

I got Lach Trash on Stone Temple Pilots. I saw them perform at a music festival way back in 2000. And then I couldn't think of a band with "Elephant" in its name, but Kevin's incorrect guess made me think of Cage the Elephant.

My first thought on FJ was Camus, then Alan Paton, and then the light bulb came on after about 10 seconds and I locked in on Faulkner. "County" + Faulkner being a southern author was enough to make me confident, plus Faulkner's acceptance speech for winning the Nobel Prize is pretty famous, so I knew at the very least that he had won it.

I did enjoy watching Ryan and seeing how much he got into the game--not to take anything away from Veronica, who has also been a joy to watch and deserves a ton of credit for prevailing in a close match! And congrats to Kevin as well on being a ToC semifinalist!
alamble

Post by alamble »

mas3cf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm

Wow, that is one stealthily hidden TOM. I went with Richard Wright, thinking 1940s author + race relations.
I did as well.

Ryan’s facial expression when Buzzy confirmed the correct answer was priceless. This has been an incredibly entertaining TOC so far.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Boy, it took five years off Veronica's life to wager all 4200 on that DD. I don't look for her to be making any Roger Craig plays in the Finals.
Glad she won because Ryan was ticking me off by (repeatedly) going back to the PALACE category, when that might cause some clues to be left uncovered. Namely the ROCK BANDS cat. He was so rattled by missing the last DD that the top row clues seemed to intimidate him.

Not sure why Veronica overbet by 4199 on her Final wager. Ryan could have put more pressure on her without worrying about Kevin, and maybe he should have, as Veronica could have underwagered as easily as she overwagered.

Lach Trash: Moon Roof, Volkswagon, Dead Stock.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:50 pm That's the way to show rankers what to do with their bronze status. Well done indeed by Veronica.
As someone who agreed with your bronzing choice for her, I seriously reconsidered after her QF. I had sort of turned her into Melizza Zygmunt in my mind by virtue of her being the lowest earning 4xer of her ToC, but Veronica's earnings were more than four times Melizza's.

The clue felt to me like it was describing an American novel, and "white conscience" made me think of the South. The only Southern Nobel literature laureate I could think of (maybe the only one altogether) was Faulkner. And then I saw "county" and I knew it had to be him.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

23R. 2/4 on big clues. Wow bad day for me. Couldn't pull Sabin. Didn't know where the James River was. Got Faulkner.

American authors with Nobel Prizes in Literature: Sinclair Lewis, Eugene O'Neill, Pearl Buck, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Saul Bellow, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Czeslaw Milosz, Joseph Brodsky, Toni Morrison, Bob Dylan, Louise Gluck.

I'm surprised that Veronica got negged for the palatine clue. The archive has her saying "palantine" but I can't hear an extra "n". I heard it pronounced with "teen" instead of "tine" which I would have thought was acceptable. I think she said "Levi" instead of "Levi's" which I would have thought was more likely to be marked wrong.

It seemed like there was a big problem with the audio before the first commercial break. There was some feedback or something for both Johnny Gilbert and Buzzy. Seems like they got it fixed but that bugged me. The contestants sounded ok so I don't think it was anything on my end.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Volkswagen, Crazy Horse, putti, Franz Joseph, and The Midnight Library.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm not sure I've actually heard of the book, but I managed to make the right leap. Spent 15 seconds thinking about murders like American Tragedy and In Cold Blood but then refocused on Nobel and thought welp, I don't think it's Hemingway, don't think it's Steinbeck, maybe Faulkner...OOOHHH county, that sounds good.

Intruder in the Dust is definitely a very deep Faulkner cut as the wikipedia page for the book is tiny and it only comes up 3 times previously in the Archive, once as an incorrect guess for a Faulkner title, once as a "complete the title" in the 1998 TOC, and once asking for Faulkner with two deep cut works, a triple stumper.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm

Not sure I'd agree that "county" was the TOM. Everything about the wording pointed to Faulkner for me.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:53 pm 23R. 2/4 on big clues. Wow bad day for me. Couldn't pull Sabin. Didn't know where the James River was. Got Faulkner.

American authors with Nobel Prizes in Literature: Sinclair Lewis, Eugene O'Neill, Pearl Buck, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Saul Bellow, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Czeslaw Milosz, Joseph Brodsky, Toni Morrison, Bob Dylan, Louise Gluck.

I'm surprised that Veronica got negged for the palatine clue. The archive has her saying "palantine" but I can't hear an extra "n". I heard it pronounced with "teen" instead of "tine" which I would have thought was acceptable. I think she said "Levi" instead of "Levi's" which I would have thought was more likely to be marked wrong.
She did say palan-teen with the n, and Levi with no s.