Wednesday, May 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL COMPOSERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Monsieur Crescendo & Signor Vaccarmini ("Mr. Racket") were derisive nicknames for this composer whose last opera dates from 1829

Jennifer Quail: 15000+14999=29999 (Finalist)
Jason Zuffranieri: 13400+7000=20400
Nibir Sarma: 2800-2799=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rossini (Nibir – Verdi)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: minus 200+1000
Nibir: 3000-3000
Jason: 16800-5000

Coryats
Jennifer: 14400
Jason: 18400
Nibir: 5800

Combined: 38,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jennifer: 4200
Jason: 4800
Nibir: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason missed DD3 when a get or a lower wager could have had him leading instead of trailing for a FJ! clue he solved. Hmmm, when did I last see this scenario? Oh, yeah, yesterday. This ToC could just as easily had Sam playing Ryan Bilger and/or Jason in the finals.

The FJ! clue had me miss important clues with the nickname origin and genre as I interpreted "Crescendo" & "Racket" as a surprise. After crossing out Schubert (he's the "Unfinished" guy) I switch to the right guy as far as my line of thinking and wrote Haydn.

I'm glad this was not my first miss of the tourney as I cheated myself in having a decent try at solving the clue with better processing.

Jason makes the exact 19x champs 0/2 in the semis at making the finals.

Veronica & Jennifer make two women in the ToC finals for the first time since 1993 and the first time ever with two regular play women champs in the finals? I quickly checked and did not find another double outchange.

8x vs. 5x vs. 4x. I know for sure without having to check how a superchamp vs. a 5x vs. a 4x turned out in 2010. :)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

2nd half of Jeopardy and all of Double jeopardy preempted in houston due to coverage of the Mass Shooting in San Jose.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $27,400

33 R (2 DDs), 1 W (Missed Newcastle, that was a toughie)

FJ: :mrgreen: Pretty getable once you narrow it down to Italian composers, then you can eliminate Verdi (Aida came later) and Puccini (Madame Butterfly also was later).

LT: Speak, marble (DD)

I'm incredibly excited for the final games. I don't think I was excited as much when it was the James vs Emma rematch, or when it was Buzzy vs Alan vs Austin.
Last edited by Shaquebanisa on Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

'"Matador", Robin! 'Toreador is a term of convenience invented by Georges Bizet for his opera "Carmen"'.

Still, Is "the man wielding the red cape" a literal translation of "matador"? That is what the quotation marks imply.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Focused too hard on Monsieur and went Berlioz.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Guessed the wrong Italian composer: Verdi.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

I guess an extra "n" in "Rossinni" doesn't change the pronunciation
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

On what planet is "matador" Spanish for "the man wielding the red cape"?????
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I would like to see some analysis of Jason's last DD wager. My intuition, without looking at the numbers, was that a wager that big at that point in the game had way more potential downside than potential upside.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board felt easier than the last two.

Buzzy has been my favorite host so far, but I have to say that it sounded like he cut off Jennifer before she had completed her response for the clue on the dog breed that was at the bottom of the board.

I joined the contestants with the negs of "fencing" and "Shetland." Shetland was a 50 50 90 guess for me with Hebrides though, so I would have known which one to guess if I had had a chance for the rebound in that position. Maybe someday I will learn the distinguishing facts about the Shetland, Hebrides, and Orkney Islands.

I was disappointed on not being able to pull The Running Man. I had come across it recently in trying to learn more about movies.

Tough break for Jason on that last DD. I honestly had no idea on it, and in that position I would have been tempted to wager all but a few dollars and try to win the game there in the hopes that the DD will be more favorable to me than FJ.

I had Rossini under consideration for FJ but didn't see how he fit the clue and wasn't sure if the time period was right for him. I knew that the time period wasn't right for Verdi or Puccini and probably not Mozart either, but I still went with Mozart.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:00 pm I would like to see some analysis of Jason's last DD wager. My intuition, without looking at the numbers, was that a wager that big at that point in the game had way more potential downside than potential upside.
I actually liked the wager. On a correct response (the more likely scenario), he essentially locks up first place going into FJ. On an incorrect response, he is not that far out of first and has a decent chance to make it up.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

StevenH wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:07 pm This board felt easier than the last two.

Buzzy has been my favorite host so far, but I have to say that it sounded like he cut off Jennifer before she had completed her response for the clue on the dog breed that was at the bottom of the board.

I joined the contestants with the negs of "fencing" and "Shetland." Shetland was a 50 50 90 guess for me with Hebrides though, so I would have known which one to guess if I had had a chance for the rebound in that position. Maybe someday I will learn the distinguishing facts about the Shetland, Hebrides, and Orkney Islands.

I was disappointed on not being able to pull The Running Man. I had come across it recently in trying to learn more about movies.

Tough break for Jason on that last DD. I honestly had no idea on it, and in that position I would have been tempted to wager all but a few dollars and try to win the game there in the hopes that the DD will be more favorable to me than FJ.

I had Rossini under consideration for FJ but didn't see how he fit the clue and wasn't sure if the time period was right for him. I knew that the time period wasn't right for Verdi or Puccini and probably not Mozart either, but I still went with Mozart.
"Outer" is your clue for it being the Hebrides: there are the Inner and Outer Hebrides, whereas the Shetland and the Orkney Islands have no such division.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:15 pm I actually liked the wager. On a correct response (the more likely scenario), he essentially locks up first place going into FJ. On an incorrect response, he is not that far out of first and has a decent chance to make it up.
He would have had to have gotten more than half the money left on the board, with no mistakes, to get to the lead back, and that's assuming Jennifer didn't get any more clues right. I don't know exactly what the probability of a lead recovery after that DD loss would have been, but I think it's less than 50%.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:21 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:15 pm I actually liked the wager. On a correct response (the more likely scenario), he essentially locks up first place going into FJ. On an incorrect response, he is not that far out of first and has a decent chance to make it up.
He would have had to have gotten more than half the money left on the board, with no mistakes, to get to the lead back, and that's assuming Jennifer didn't get any more clues right. I don't know exactly what the probability of a lead recovery after that DD loss would have been, but I think it's less than 50%.
True, but for someone with an 80% DD get rate, that's a chance I'd take. (Granted, TOC DDs are harder, but still.)