Friday, May 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan »

DBear wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:30 pm runs: Toys & Games,
DDs: :D :D :oops: (Avogadro). Not getting Fibonacci is just embarassing.
trash: muckrake, Spain
FJ: Misread the clue as 1900 & guessed Greece, thinking of Ottomans, Austria-Hungary, etc. :(
I read the clue wrong the first time too and re-read the year. got it from there. Surprised nobody knew Malaga.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was impressed by Sam's "Gauss" pull and wonder which part of the clue--the face, the unit, the Latin name, or its English translation--led him to the correct response. (I didn't like the unit part of the clue--"magnetism"?--but I feel like we've had enough of the SI this week.)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Turned on the tube to watch, and was greeted by Nets V. Celtics. :( Hopefully, KGO will actually show J! at the time they have on the DirecTV schedule.

Meanwhile, I'm 0 for 9 so far in TOC FJ's, hoping to avoid the Double Box Of Shame....
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 pm Also, how common is Petersen House for the location of Lincoln's death? I got it because I was there two weeks ago.
I've been there and I didn't recall it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 pm Also, how common is Petersen House for the location of Lincoln's death? I got it because I was there two weeks ago.
Almost universal. However, it isn't asked about very often. I was stumped, and I'm usually good with Lincoln.

I'm less good with sciency stuff, but I knew Gauss goes with magnetism.

Buzzy may have lulled the competitiveness out of Jennifer by continually addressing the three as "champions". But well done by Sam, and congrats. I could have lived with any of them winning. Of course, I've survived every ToC so far.

Tonight's FJ was top quality.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 pm
It was the subject of some discussion the last time it came up, a year ago. I didn't get it last time or this time.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5682&p=332014&hilit ... en#p332014
viewtopic.php?p=332050#p332050
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:03 pm I was impressed by Sam's "Gauss" pull and wonder which part of the clue--the face, the unit, the Latin name, or its English translation--led him to the correct response. (I didn't like the unit part of the clue--"magnetism"?--but I feel like we've had enough of the SI this week.)
Maybe we've had enough of the SI pedantics, but just look at this treasure trove of cool names 8-) . I guessed Henrys (which is a unit of inductance, close, but not in the same ecosystem). If I'd paid attention to the category (Math), I think I would get there but no way that quickly.
I'm a huge fan of all three players, but it's never a bad thing for a teacher to win a pile of money. Buzzy has set a high bar.

I'll see your Johnny Gilberts and raise you one Weber.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Congratulations to Sam.

I remember him having an account here from my initial run.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

T-o-C Gaffs of all time

Post by Category 13 »

It was as if Jennifer forgot this was Game 2, and not Game 1 of the Finals.
I'm usually not one to analyze or critique DD wagers but I almost stroked out when Jennifer made 'The Wager'.
What a let down. I put it on the same scale as 'The Fumble' in the 1987 AFC Championship game. One of the grand failures bemoaned by Cleveland Browns fans.

I wonder if Jennifer's FJ wager (being less than half her DJ score) was an indication that she realized too late that she blew her chance with the over conservative DD bet.

I'm pretty sure Veronica based her FJ wager on Jennifer going all in in a desperate attempt to catch Sam (even though it was a lock-tournament). If Jennifer dropped to zero, Veronica would have squeezed into 2nd place for the tourny.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:03 pm I was impressed by Sam's "Gauss" pull and wonder which part of the clue--the face, the unit, the Latin name, or its English translation--led him to the correct response. (I didn't like the unit part of the clue--"magnetism"?--but I feel like we've had enough of the SI this week.)
I cannot speak for Mr. Kavanaugh, but I got it from a combination of German mathematician + magnetism.

I also got Petersen House because of the mentioned clue from last year. I also remember a clue being presented from there in this game: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3990
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

econgator wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 pm
+1
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

To put it in perspective, Jennifer's two wrong answers in this game totaled more than her peasley DD wager.

'Joan Jett' was a good example of the careless guesses that she let slip during this tourny. At least by that point it was all over for her anyway.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

34R. 3/4 on big clues. Couldn't think of the right answer for FJ and scribbled down Greece at the last second just to have something.

Plenty of new stuff for me to learn this game.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Nova Scotia & New Brunswick (Bay of Fundy), Beethoven (Emperor Concerto), Stretch Armstrong, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Joan Rivers.

I've seen Mank but I guessed Mae West instead of Marion Davies. Oops.

Managed to get Gauss just from the picture before seeing the rest of the clue. Probably would have gotten it without the picture. Not sure why I know what Gauss looks like. It's the same picture as the one on his Wikipedia page.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 pm Judges, I said "action painting" instead of "abstract expressionism". I feel it's good, what say you?
All three of the artists are listed on the action painting wiki so I think you're good.

Not sure what to write about Jennifer's wager but here is a Joan Baez song about memories and what could have been:
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Big congrats to Sam! (Notably, I don't usually root for Kavanaughs.) Jennifer's wager was unfortunate, alas.

I was in Malaga two years ago, so I wasn't missing that. Leaving there was the first time I've had a takeoff aborted. I've have landings aborted, but that was a first. Gauss came pretty quickly (German + magnetism as already cited). And Poland came immediately to mind with the dissolution of the USSR. I can't believe Sam chickened out on saying Cote d'Ivoire.

I'm curious as to what pace Buzzy would use in a regular game. I found it to be too fast for my liking during the tournament. It was more of a Quiz Bowl speed than an Alex speed.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

It sounds like Jennifer was already in the mindset of preserving 2nd place by the time she hit the DD.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Very frustrating how flawed her logic was. After that DD she should have had a $14200 lead with 24 clues and a DD left. At that point she just has to maintain, (which she was doing so far that game) answer FJ correctly, and take home $250k.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

threearruda wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 pm Rusty on my world map, I got stuck in the Balkans. Underwhelming tournament as far as my scoresheet is concerned.
I didn't so much get stuck there, but I started there and it took me too long to move north
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 am Very frustrating how flawed her logic was. After that DD she should have had a $14200 lead with 24 clues and a DD left. At that point she just has to maintain, (which she was doing so far that game) answer FJ correctly, and take home $250k.
Sure is easy to shoulda woulda when you know how easy the clue is once it's revealed!
In another universe she could've been trailing by 6000 with a DD still on the board. By that point there's already been 5 triple stumpers including the clue right before DD2.

I mean, if $50,000 means nothing to you, go right ahead...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf

Post by Golf »

Volante wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:14 am
Golf wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 am Very frustrating how flawed her logic was. After that DD she should have had a $14200 lead with 24 clues and a DD left. At that point she just has to maintain, (which she was doing so far that game) answer FJ correctly, and take home $250k.
Sure is easy to shoulda woulda when you know how easy the clue is once it's revealed!
In another universe she could've been trailing by 6000 with a DD still on the board. By that point there's already been 5 triple stumpers including the clue right before DD2.

I mean, if $50,000 means nothing to you, go right ahead...
My point was that she played to win she could have done so even if Sam answered FJ correctly. She still had the ball in her hands when finding DD2.

If one wants to play for an extra $50k instead of an extra $150k go ahead, but at that point it had nothing to do with Sam making a mistake.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It’s disappointing to see someone settling for second place. FJ was easy since I researched Poland before traveling there in 2018. Lovely place!