Monday, May 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BUSINESS OF TELEVISION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The day it debuted in 1980, this network with an Italian name aired a Carnegie Hall celebration of Aaron Copland’s 80th birthday

Amanda Ganske: 12600+12600=25200
Eliza Cope: 11100-1501=9599
Kevin Hirsh: 16400+8801=25201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bravo (Eliza – What is)

Daily Doubles
Eliza: 2800+1300
Kevin: 7200+2000
Eliza: 8300+2000

Coryats
Amanda: 12600
Eliza: 9800
Kevin: 15200

Combined: 37,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amanda: 5000
Eliza: 5100
Kevin: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mayim looked and sounded like she was in the right place and her previous hosting gigs of various sorts had to help. Some that post on J! forums like extra stuff from the host and some do not.

To me there is nothing wrong with quickly adding a remark about wanting a TS car or that someone was a favorite of Alex's.

It's done so smoothly that the majority of viewers would never notice but for those of us used to the difference we can sometimes hear that it sounds like a clue was reread afterwards.

That was a fairly high score of 5000 to pick first for the DJ! round.

Amanda was looking to make the TOC. Getting that other papal city correct instead of negging and setting up the rebound could have been enough right there to turn the game into a 4xer at the end.

My precall game was off for the FJ! category as I had late night hosts on the mind after watching the fifth of six episodes of the CNN series The Story of Late Night earlier this morning. My other thought was main network parent companies past & present or something about Nielsen.

The FJ! clue had me slide right into a correct response although I was not as sure about it as I should have been. I spent part of think music mentally running down my channel guide as I pictured the channel lineup.

Kevin bet only the pretty 2000 on his DD2 so at the end I was not sure if he had Amanda covered until his wager was revealed. Eliza needed a harder clue to prevail as high wagers by her opponents had her set if they both missed.

It was nice, though not surprising at all, to know soon into the game that the next two weeks will be pleasant from dealing with another guest host. Viewing was a good experience and online posts should not get overly negative.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Can we get "I guessed Encore for Monday's FJ" on the weekly poll? Thanks. Shoulda thought just a little bit longer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

The 3 to 4x "Curse" Continues.
Leander

Post by Leander »

If the FJ clue had begun with “Ironically”, I might have gotten this. Otherwise I was flailing trying to come up with an arts oriented network and had nothing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:41 pm If the FJ clue had begun with “Ironically”, I might have gotten this. Otherwise I was flailing trying to come up with an arts oriented network and had nothing.
Same here. Even if I had thought of Bravo, I might has dismissed it. Like Mayim said, it's all reality, all the time now. My response matched Eliza.
Speaking of Mayim, she was as good as I thought she'd be. Looking forward to the remainder of her run.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:50 pm Can we get "I guessed Encore for Monday's FJ" on the weekly poll? Thanks. Shoulda thought just a little bit longer.
French, not Italian. Not that I had anything in any language.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t know what Bravo shows today so I didn’t have any problems there. I did know it was an arts channel at one point so I went with it.

I liked the host. My only issue was she didn’t explain (or even acknowledge) the “I” in team category.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

The host I was most hyped about did not disappoint in her debut.

My only issue is one we've been dealing with for a while now: not explaining what the quotes mean in the category. For THERE IS AN "I" IN TEAM, I mentally ran through as many team nicknames that began with "I" during the the first break, only quickly coming up with Islanders and Indians. Then the $200 came and it asked for an NFL team clearly connected with Miami, but I stayed clam. Since the obvious response was correct, I rightfully decided to ignore the "I" highlighted in the category and successfully ran the rest of the category. It became clear afterwards that each team simple had the letter I within it. Gotta be more clear on that, future hosts.

I have flashcards on both Lipizanner and Reversal of Fortune/Claus von Bulow, so it felt good to nail both of those $2k clues.

I also remembered Transjordan because of this epic FJ: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3386

Precalled HSN/QVC for FJ, but was able to come up with the first Italian named TV channel I could think of.

Keep it up, Mayim!
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Mon May 31, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mayim is exceptionally strong on her first episode.

No guess on FJ! "Bravo" is stored in my head under so many different folders that I've never processed it as an Italian word.
davey

Post by davey »

I remember one night, staying at a friend's house who had more cable channels than I knew existed, settling in to watch a François Truffaut movie on Bravo...I'm still irritated by what became of the network. Simple if you are of un certain age...Seems guessable from the Italian language angle, too. Is there another network that fits??
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Hats in Books, Not Quite a Constellation, All in the Past,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: oblate, Detroit Red Rings, Rambler (parents had one), Edward VII, Transjordan, Sartre (7600)
FJ: What is Bravo! :mrgreen: (took about 25 seconds)
Was hoping for a Danzig clue in Mother! :twisted:
Hoffman didn't get a BMS? :geek:
Lost the coin flip on the Oxbridge clue :x
Nice break from the TOC.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

When Mayim was announcing the scores at the end of DJ, she didn't needlessly say "dollars" at the end of every score, and I thought, "Man, this is a nice change of pace from past weeks!" Then came FJ, and I guess the producers asked her to hit those "dollar"s hard, because they were everywhere. Alas. That's definitely my biggest peeve of this guest host era.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Perhaps because of the juxtaposition of episodes, but Mayim reminded me of a female Buzzy: witty, energetic and in control of the facts. I’m still kicking myself for missing FJ. I went through all the cable channels I could think of looking for one with an Italian word for a name. The best I could come up with was Ovation for its Latin etymology. Bah!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

teapot37 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:54 pm When Mayim was announcing the scores at the end of DJ, she didn't needlessly say "dollars" at the end of every score, and I thought, "Man, this is a nice change of pace from past weeks!" Then came FJ, and I guess the producers asked her to hit those "dollar"s hard, because they were everywhere. Alas. That's definitely my biggest peeve of this guest host era.
As may have become clear recently, I'm a fan of units :D
brick

Post by brick »

I thought she was fine. I am in a different group where people are very unhappy and some of them are swearing off the show for two weeks. It takes all kinds.

I got caught flipping a coin between Encore and Bravo. The date given should have landed me on Bravo but didn’t. Alas.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Kevin goes DD hunting immediately in DJ, quickly hits one in the 2nd row, and wagers $2k of a possible $7.2k? Ugh. The other two DD wagers were the same. But then all three wager well in FJ.

Huge fan of BBT and Mayim did not disappoint today. Not really sure why or that it matters, but thought her choice of eyeglass frame was quite appropriate.
davey

Post by davey »

brick wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:37 pm I thought she was fine. I am in a different group where people are very unhappy and some of them are swearing off the show for two weeks. It takes all kinds.

I got caught flipping a coin between Encore and Bravo. The date given should have landed me on Bravo but didn’t. Alas.
Encore is a French word... :geek: