Monday, May 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

davey wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:14 pm
brick wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:37 pm I thought she was fine. I am in a different group where people are very unhappy and some of them are swearing off the show for two weeks. It takes all kinds.

I got caught flipping a coin between Encore and Bravo. The date given should have landed me on Bravo but didn’t. Alas.
Encore is a French word... :geek:
There was a cookout and daytime drinking. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:13 pm My only issue is one we've been dealing with for a while now: not explaining what the quotes mean in the category.
Well, that predates even the guest hosts so it's likely the new normal

Anyone else spot the adage in the DJ round? Take your time...
Spoiler
They put the horse before Descartes.
Wagged 'Opera' as the station, I might have gotten it with more time
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Without being sure it was even a cable channel, I was stuck on Encore for a little bit, but I was able to keep thinking and come up with what my brain really wanted me to pull out.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 2/4 on big clues. Wrote down Encore. I don't watch a lot of Bravo. French sounded close enough to Italian at the time. I got confused reading the DRC/Zaire clue and didn't understand what it was asking until it was revealed.

I thought Mayim did well. Seems like the show went smoothly.

I didn't see an "I" in 76ers but I still got it. I think they intended that the "I" came from the 6 part of the name but it might have come from the Philadelphia part.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Plato's Cave, Transjordan, Claus von Bulow, Edward VII, and Lipizzaners. Almost got those this time so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get them next time.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:58 pm 45R. 2/4 on big clues. Wrote down Encore. I don't watch a lot of Bravo. French sounded close enough to Italian at the time. I got confused reading the DRC/Zaire clue and didn't understand what it was asking until it was revealed.

I thought Mayim did well. Seems like the show went smoothly.

I didn't see an "I" in 76ers but I still got it. I think they intended that the "I" came from the 6 part of the name but it might have come from the Philadelphia part.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Plato's Cave, Transjordan, Claus von Bulow, Edward VII, and Lipizzaners. Almost got those this time so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get them next time.
English monarchs are something you need to know to do well on Jeopardy. They are probably second to US presidents for most common group. I suggest watching the Horrible Histories monarch video to learn their names and order.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Mayim is a natural. I had already given Buzzy my only 10, so Mayim is a 12. Or more. Hire. Her. Now.

She's smooth and easy, never rushed, never seems to have any difficulty with words, foreign or not, and appears to be having a whale of a time doing it.

She does have jussssssst a few irons in the fire, tho, so luring her away from all that on a full-time basis might be tricky.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ for me. Bravo is mostly garbage now. I knew Zaire for that DD and I’m not sure who was surprised when the contestant got it, her or me. As people always tell that hammer guy, always guess something. Alas, she didn’t do so in FJ.

Bialick does ads for Neuriva and she mentions again that she’s a neuroscientist. She’s better than most of the other hosts on their first day. Honestly, I find her a bit cloying but at least she can enunciate.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Nietzsche is pietzsche, but Sartre is smartre.

"Fifth Avenue outpost" put me off the Met. I know the Cloisters is great, but Fifth Avenue is the main building, certainly the most visited. It's weird to call it an "outpost".

It shouldn't have been too hard to come up with a clearer "i" team than the 76ers.

I've heard of Bravo, but I didn't think of it. I don't know I've ever heard of Encore. I guessed 'Opera', which Google takes as an attempt to spell 'Oprah'. At least I was in the right building.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I noticed that all the teams in THERE IS AN "I" IN TEAM have an i (if not orthographic for the 76ers) in both their city and nickname.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 pm I didn’t know what Bravo shows today so I didn’t have any problems there.
Yeah, I just thought of any cable channels that would be an Italian word and Bravo was the first one that came to mind. It seemed to make sense.

Mayim Bialik did fine. I need to see a little more of her to really make an informed opinion.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:46 am I noticed that all the teams in THERE IS AN "I" IN TEAM have an i (if not orthographic for the 76ers) in both their city and nickname.
The response on J!6 was "Boston Celtics".

The "newest" American-made Rambler when Mayim turned 16 would have been 22 yo by then.
OCSam
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I was blown away last week by Buzzy as guest host...but Mayim might have been a tad better. Either one of these two wouldn't be a bad choice for permanent host.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Mayim did well. I can see her as moving into my personal top tier of potential replacements.

At this rate, the next TOC will be flooded with 3x champs. It is quite a slump going on. Eventually, someone will break through and perhaps start a string of longer-term champions. There was a bit of a lag after Julia’s run (she was the last TOC qualifier from her season, though there was a 4x non-qualifier). Catherine Hardee broke the lag in Season 31, before another long lag until we got back-to-back-to-back qualifiers in Vaughn Winchell, Elliot Yates, and John Schultz. Hopefully, a similar run is coming though there is plenty of time between now and whenever the next TOC is.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Mayim was very solid. Impressive debut.

Got to Bravo quickly, but without any confidence. I had no idea how old it was or what it used to show. But I couldn't think of another possibility.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Woof wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:16 pm Perhaps because of the juxtaposition of episodes, but Mayim reminded me of a female Buzzy: witty, energetic and in control of the facts. I’m still kicking myself for missing FJ. I went through all the cable channels I could think of looking for one with an Italian word for a name. The best I could come up with was Ovation for its Latin etymology. Bah!
I had the same thought re your first sentence. I bet they could mimic each other quite well.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Mayim and Buzzy are difficult to directly compare because a ToC is that different from regular play. Buzzy's fast pace was appropriate but wouldn't play as well otherwise; I imagine he would have adapted for regular play but we don't have a way of knowing for sure. Mayim's first game pace seemed just about perfect; she needs to work on the interview rapport but that can be done.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Could not get Claus von Bulow.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni