Tuesday, June 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AROUND THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1860s a zoologist proposed that this island was once part of a lost continent he dubbed Lemuria

Kevin Hirsh: 6300+6300=12600
Robin Lozano: 8600+4001=12601 (New Champ)
Dominic Rios: 5600-3500=2100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Madagascar (Dominic – Galapagos)

Daily Doubles
Robin: 4400-2000
Kevin: 4400+1500
Robin: 11600-3000

Coryats
Kevin: 6400
Robin: 13600
Dominic: 5600

Combined: 25,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kevin: 2000
Robin: 6000
Dominic: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robin opened with the first five clues correct spanning two categories on the way to being the only person in the black after the first segment.

The gentlemen did a little better to close the J! round.

Kevin left 2900 on the table at DD2 and that could have been enough for him to lead for the FJ! round if (a big if) Robin still loses 3000 on DD3.

The FJ! category had figure South America was out due to the earlier PERU category. After that it was wide open.

The FJ! clue had my pen down just before the music began. After seeing how the players did with the previous 60 clues I was not as confident as I normally would have been that it would go 3/3. Sure enough, there was a miss in the mix. The way Mayim went through the progressions in the FJ! round I began to wonder if there was going to be wonkiness with the wagers.

Nope, Robin covered Kevin to win by a buck and for the second day a row a one-dollar win prevailed after The Jeopardy! Fan noted yesterday that a $1 win in regular play had not happened prior since Feb. 2020.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

A lot of triple stumpers tonight. Nobody on that stage is TOC Worthy.

If Mayim is going to refer to herself as a neuroscientist on every episode, her hosting gig is going to get old very fast. I think it already is.

I knew about the Lemurs in Madagascar and the continent Theory, so I am done.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm A lot of triple stumpers tonight. Nobody on that stage is TOC Worthy.

ToC?!?!?!

It's been a long time since I've seen three J! contestants leave this much gettable stuff unanswered. I scooped up an even dozen of them myself (possibly more: they came in such rapid order in DJ that it was hard for me to jot all of them down) for an easy win from the imaginary fourth podium. Including for goodness sake the Battle of Gettysburg? Sorry, contestants, but not J!'s finest hour.

I got the Toni Morrison DD only because I encountered it in a J! contestant quiz a while back. But I'll take it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Peru
DDs: :D :D :( (Susan B. Anthony)
trash: golden apples, Geiger, Copernicus DD, Amazon, Nez Perce, the Wind, Gettysburg Address, shrewd, sapient (7400)
FJ: What is Madagascar? :mrgreen: Lemurs led me there.
NHO the frog hair expression. :?
could not pull Ampere, having to swat away Galvani. :|
Had adroit for acumen. 6 letters, at least. :(
Last edited by DBear on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'd like to thank the existence of King Julien for helping me get this one right.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

34R. 3/4 on big clues. Couldn't get Toni Morrison. DJ was pretty tough for me.

Missed US Senate and said US Congress. Missed Venetian Lagoon and said Blue Lagoon. Was thinking of the Blue Grotto and got mixed up. Missed polio and said smallpox. Missed tomatoes and said grapes.

I think Serta was overvalued in the bottom row. Because of the abundance of mattress commercials in my area I've probably heard Serta follow after Sealy tens of thousands of times. So many mattress commercials.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Cuzco, Rashida Jones, Savoir (Vivre), inherit the wind, and swallow.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Often seen before "faire"...
REN!

I regret nothing about that neg. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

For "This 7-letter word can mean wise or pertaining to the species of man," shouldn't sapient be the preferred response? That's the English word. MB said sapiens...
When Dr. Oz hosted, I don't remember him hawking his patent medicines during the show. Tonight we saw a commercial for MB's source of pocket change, Neuriva. Forgive me if this product has some medical credibility, I'm a natural skeptic...
I've never seen the movie Madagascar, so I don't think that's how I know lemurs are associated with the island, but I learned it somewhere...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm If Mayim is going to refer to herself as a neuroscientist on every episode, her hosting gig is going to get old very fast. I think it already is.
Did she do that tonight? It wasn't in her intro.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nothing to do with today's game, but a correction came in today, so I'll put it here to get the right eyeballs on it since the game predates the board.

From the 4/4/11 game AYE, "PAD" $600:

Princess Amidala, to her friends

Erratum: Padme Amidala was a queen in "The Phantom Menace" and a senator in "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith", never a princess.

This is way beyond anything I know or care about. Opinions for accepting/rejecting the suggestion, please.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:10 am Nothing to do with today's game, but a correction came in today, so I'll put it here to get the right eyeballs on it since the game predates the board.

From the 4/4/11 game AYE, "PAD" $600:

Princess Amidala, to her friends

Erratum: Padme Amidala was a queen in "The Phantom Menace" and a senator in "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith", never a princess.

This is way beyond anything I know or care about. Opinions for accepting/rejecting the suggestion, please.
Yeah, that correction is correct, she was a Queen from the beginning.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Way too many clues in the final clue.

Pretty much one or the other. Couldn't see any contestant having a third choice.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Never heard “frog hair” in that context. Only prior usage I’ve ever heard is for the fringe surrounding a golf course green - as in “I didn’t quite make the green, but at least I’m in the frog hair and not the rough.”

Gettysburg Address - one of the most inspiring and moving bits of American prose ever - a stand-and-stare. Sigh…
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

It's always refreshing to hear a contestant start their chit chat time without using the word 'So' at the begining of the first sentence. For that, I was rooting for Robin.
With only $400 remaining on the board, she needn't wager more than 1801 on her last DD to try and secure the lock. If she had only risked $399 or less, she would have kept Dominic out of the equation for FJ and still maintained a solid crush on Kevin. She survived by virtue of getting the correct island, but next time she might not be so lucky.

LT: Ron Howard, The Gospel of Luke
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Kevin left 2900 on the table at DD2 and that could have been enough for him to lead for the FJ! round if (a big if) Robin still loses 3000 on DD3.
I honestly think he pulled 'St. Louis' out of his ass. Strange that he would hold back so much on the DD, yet go all in from second on FJ. Yeah, he couldn't cover Dominic without falling behind Robin on a TS but that demonstrates he is somewhat savvy on wagering.

Robin lost a whopping $4000 on her only two non-DD negs. Another big if: If she stayed clam on those two clues, we would have had a potential for a tie-breaker. It would have been interesting to see how Robin would have handled 12600 - 6300, but I'm guessing she probably would have wagered to win.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:53 am It's always refreshing to hear a contestant start their chit chat time without using the word 'So' at the begining of the first sentence. For that, I was rooting for Robin.
So sorry to crush your dreams, but you should listen again. She begins with the same 2 words as Dominic before her, only she elides them into the next word: Yeah, so while... The closed captioner leaves so out, but it's there. Kevin waits till the 4th word (not counting uh): Yes, I did, so...
You intrigued me, and I listened to yesterday's interviews. Neither Eliza nor Amanda started with so, but Kevin did.
Veronica was the only player on Friday who started with so.
I hope you haven't turned this into an obsession for me... :)
Last edited by davey on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.