Thursday, June 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Thursday, June 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 pm French history... Definitely not a strength of mine, no matter which century. Figuring I was dead meat, I spent the whole commercials' time trying to come up with some 17th Century Frenchman... Came up empty.
Something possibly to help you for next time: When they ask for 17th Century Frenchmen, think of scientists. I quickly precalled Rene Descartes and Blaise Pascal and was super confident the clue would be about 1 of those 2. I added Pierre de Fermat at the very end of the break, just to have a 3rd, but figured it might too big a stretch for a regular season FJ.

Luckily, the correct response did come to me, though I previously thought he was 16th Century, but there was no one else I could think of.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Was Julia the most awful contestant! Has she never seen the show before? Where did she get the idea that we she was supposed to interject after every answer and comment on her own Answers by saying "nice" or something equally banal? We viewers need to demand that they screen out people like that. And now we have to put up with her Antics again tomorrow.

That DC streets clue made no sense at all. Independence and Constitution are parallel East-West streets. Pennsylvania, like all of the state streets, is a diagonal. I guessed it correctly because it was the obvious answer, not because it made coherent sense.

I can't believe Being There and Gibraltar were back-to-back triple stumpers.
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:46 pm
Didn't know the word dispatch as a noun could mean speed.
You must be a government employee.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My first thought was Cardinal Richilieu but I didn't like the term "minister". I also was pretty clueless about his century of existence. I went with Louis 14 in case kings are called ministers in another context.

The 400 dollar DD incident had terrible optics. Both the player and Mayim seemed oblivious of the rules. Grace would have won more playing the clue at clue value ($600). I'd think a neuroscientist would have seen through that disconnect (and maybe she did, and it was just Grace's fully informed decision).

I understand why Julia passed her in-person (or zoom) audition. Her shtick seems authentic and is fun to watch. She backstopped the airhead persona with some good answers and game play.

I don't think I've seen the name Grace on anyone under 70. Will we have an Agnes or an Edna on soon?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:57 am Was Julia the most awful contestant! Has she never seen the show before? Where did she get the idea that we she was supposed to interject after every answer and comment on her own Answers by saying "nice" or something equally banal? We viewers need to demand that they screen out people like that. And now we have to put up with her Antics again tomorrow.
Don't you hate that Jeopardy is (at least somewhat) a meritocracy?

Bring that take back to Twitter where it belongs. (Actually it doesn't belong there either, but at least it fits in better.)

edit: Every time you see someone you consider obnoxious on the show, you should see that as an indication that you still have a chance to make it on, and be thankful.

edit again: I love that you've edited that post three times and it still says "we she was".
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Julia won the game handily but I think Mayim cut her off early during the interview segment. She was just getting into the story about her cat and it seemed like there was a lot left. Maybe tomorrow we'll find out more.
If anything, she cut her off too late.

I think I'm taking Mayim down one rating point. The giddiness is distracting from the game itself.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

It wasn't my precall (Moliere), but felt this was a WECIB FJ, and I'm glad the reveal wasn't a surprise. Julia was a bit hammy for my taste, but she knew her stuff, played well on the buzzer, and nailed the Big Bang reference. She deserved the victory.

Thought the Gandhi miss was surprising, and so was the wager.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:57 am Was Julia the most awful contestant! Has she never seen the show before? Where did she get the idea that we she was supposed to interject after every answer and comment on her own Answers by saying "nice" or something equally banal? We viewers need to demand that they screen out people like that.

Another audition phase needed, perhaps?

I salute those contestants who can make a bunch of money, enjoy the game, finish with an 18K+ coryat score, and be themselves, whatever version thereof might emerge under the lights. Well done, Julia.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:39 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:57 am Was Julia the most awful contestant! Has she never seen the show before? Where did she get the idea that we she was supposed to interject after every answer and comment on her own Answers by saying "nice" or something equally banal? We viewers need to demand that they screen out people like that.

Another audition phase needed, perhaps?

I salute those contestants who can make a bunch of money, enjoy the game, finish with an 18K+ coryat score, and be themselves, whatever version thereof might emerge under the lights. Well done, Julia.
Hear, hear!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 pm That DC avenues question was just plain awful. Even if you deduced they were looking for south to north (which wasn't clear; what does 'next' mean?), Virginia, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, and Maryland are legitimate responses. Ugh.
[Looks at map] I don't think New York really works because there are intervening vehicular-traffic streets, so it can't be "next in line". Virginia, Massachusetts, North Carolina, etc. are each as good a response as Pennsylvania, but they're all bad, because while Constitution and Independence are substantially east-west running streets, the states run diagonal. C Street is probably a better response than any of these. I think "south to north" is clear in context. The category was next in line. But agreed, this was a lousy clue that should never have gotten past the researchers. What were they thinking?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:57 am Was Julia the most awful contestant! Has she never seen the show before? Where did she get the idea that we she was supposed to interject after every answer and comment on her own Answers by saying "nice" or something equally banal? We viewers need to demand that they screen out people like that. And now we have to put up with her Antics again tomorrow.

That DC streets clue made no sense at all. Independence and Constitution are parallel East-West streets. Pennsylvania, like all of the state streets, is a diagonal. I guessed it correctly because it was the obvious answer, not because it made coherent sense.

I can't believe Being There and Gibraltar were back-to-back triple stumpers.
Didn't know the word dispatch as a noun could mean speed.
You must be a government employee.

Your entire post is spot on! It’ll be tough to watch tonight’s episode between the overly giddy Bialick and the nonstop chatter, it’ll be a struggle. And there were way too many TSs tonight. Sax has surely been on the show several times before.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

We're so welcoming...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:32 am We're so welcoming...
Remember the last JBoard field trip?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 pm That DC avenues question was just plain awful. Even if you deduced they were looking for south to north (which wasn't clear; what does 'next' mean?), Virginia, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, and Maryland are legitimate responses. Ugh.
[Looks at map] I don't think New York really works because there are intervening vehicular-traffic streets, so it can't be "next in line". Virginia, Massachusetts, North Carolina, etc. are each as good a response as Pennsylvania, but they're all bad, because while Constitution and Independence are substantially east-west running streets, the states run diagonal. C Street is probably a better response than any of these. I think "south to north" is clear in context. The category was next in line. But agreed, this was a lousy clue that should never have gotten past the researchers. What were they thinking?
If any of those are bad, then Pennsylvania is bad as well. But the clue specifically said 'avenue', and the lettered streets are all called streets (i.e., it's C Street, not C Avenue).

I just had another thought ... one could take it as meaning the next avenue alphabetically (even though there are avenues in between Constitution and Independence alphabetically). That would be Indiana Ave. The clue just didn't make sense.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

"Only" $9800 in Lach Trash tonight, after two nights in a row of $10K+. What's up this week that there are so darned many stand-and-stares on really gettable clues?
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I don't see what the big deal about the Pennsylvania Avenue clue is all about. A top of the column clue in a regular season J! game asking about a street in DC. What else could it be?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Not too many 17th Century Frenchmen come to mind, expect most to get this.

Not a fan of Julia as I felt, she was stalling for a lock game (2x total).
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

jpr281 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:28 pm I don't see what the big deal about the Pennsylvania Avenue clue is all about. A top of the column clue in a regular season J! game asking about a street in DC. What else could it be?
I thought the clue was, Independence, Constitution, and name the next avenue. I guessed Pennsylvania but recall those two are parallel while Pennsylvania is diagonal. That one could use some work.

Should've opted for something like: Lexington, Park, next.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:30 pm While watching tonight, I realized that John was a remind alike of David Byrne.
Maybe if John's suit was a bit larger...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I don't think the Penn Ave clue is 'bad', it's just looser than what we're used to. Yes, Virginia would work, and if some showoff said "Virginia" they'd accept it. It really just boiled down to "Name an avenue in WDC", though there are two sections where all three run parallel. The 'obvious' one is north/south on the White House longitude, though Penn is maybe pedestrian(?) only right there? Then there's a section right past that to the east starting at 15th and going a bit past 14th.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:54 pm
Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Grace reminded me of Survivor winner Sarah Lacina and Julia was like an SNL player parodying Jennifer Love Hewitt.
While watching tonight, I realized that John was a remind alike of David Byrne.

That’s interesting. For my part, I thought he looked like John Turturro.
David Hedison.