Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

This FJ may poll at 60-80% here, but imho is about the hardest question in a month. I only know 'Leviathan' as an adjective usually used in aquatic setting, but not limited to it (this may be my misconception). So there's a book of some kind? Fair enough, but I sure get the Triple stumper.

I think the study of xylophones is an underappreciated field. I think the Cyrus get makes up for the comic relief, and it wasn't even the worst guess of the night.

Julia cut down on her soliloquy today, I wonder if they spaketh to her about it.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'd never heard of Bessie Coleman, but she has a few archive hits, and in reading about her, she absolutely should be more well known.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 pm I think the study of xylophones is an underappreciated field.
I agree. There is some disagreement whether glockenspiels and marimbas should be officially included within the sphere of xylology. As a purist I believe they should not. :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The xylo root was known to me from my years working for a plant physiologist, but I get that it could play hard. I thought the FJ clue was pretty straightforward: giant underwater leads me directly to Leviathan. I didn’t realize that it was a 17th C work, but I knew it was a work of The Enlightenment, so it fit the time frame.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:40 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:37 pm Is this the first game in which all four people on stage were women?
looks like it is, since according to the archive, it didn't happen during Katie Couric's guest hosting.
The outchange is complete.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:43 am The xylo root was known to me from my years working for a plant physiologist, but I get that it could play hard.
I got as far as plants because of xylem, but didn't get any further.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Funny how different people have different sets of facts in their brains.

To me, I would have thought this was a kids-week-level FJ clue, and my draw literally hit the floor when it went 0/3.

Apparently, I was WILDLY AND COMPLETELY off-base with my thoughts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

polaris wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm Funny how different people have different sets of facts in their brains.

To me, I would have thought this was a kids-week-level FJ clue, and my draw literally hit the floor when it went 0/3.

I think you're overestimating kids' familiarity with the works of Hobbes (non tiger division)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:18 pm I said The Compleat Angler.
bluejaylink wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:09 pm I got stuck on "giants" and guessed Gargantua and Pantagruel.
I think both of those make very reasonable guesses. If either Rabelais or Walton had occurred to me, I might have landed on one of them instead of matching Susie with Gulliver.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:14 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 pm I think the study of xylophones is an underappreciated field.
I agree. There is some disagreement whether glockenspiels and marimbas should be officially included within the sphere of xylology. As a purist I believe they should not. :lol:
But where do you fall on the debate about vibraphones?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Underwater big thing led me to Leviathan, though without much confidence.

I accidentally deleted last night's J! off my DVR; apparently, Julia was much more sedate in today's game.
davey

Post by davey »

Instead of locking onto the giants underwater, I spent too much time trying to penetrate the murkiness of the quote. I wanted to know who the "they who dwell with them" are. (I was thinking Gulliver might be one?) It looks like in most translations, they are "the dead" who groan beneath the waters. Hobbes was apparently using the Douay-Rheims translation, even though he was not Catholic (and maybe not Protestant either). Judging by biblehub.com, vey few translations refer to underwater giants at all...
Golf

Post by Golf »

Well, looks as though I was wrong about how this FJ would poll here. Currently at roughly 50%. I just don't get it, a work that's been asked about many times in the archive in a very narrow category where they only ask about a very few different books.

I could believe 50% by itself, but what boggles my mind is that Monday's FJ clue is polling at roughly 67%. And that's a clue that absolutely nobody is going to be 100% confident in. It's nothing more than guess a cable network with an Italian name. I don't think any of the three GOAT contestants would miss Friday's FJ in a million years but could certainly see any of them missing Monday's because of the uncertainty of the clue.

Humans confuse me most of the time. Dogs like me though. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:54 pm Well, looks as though I was wrong about how this FJ would poll here. Currently at roughly 50%. I just don't get it, a work that's been asked about many times in the archive in a very narrow category where they only ask about a very few different books.

I could believe 50% by itself, but what boggles my mind is that Monday's FJ clue is polling at roughly 67%. And that's a clue that absolutely nobody is going to be 100% confident in. It's nothing more than guess a cable network with an Italian name. I don't think any of the three GOAT contestants would miss Friday's FJ in a million years but could certainly see any of them missing Monday's because of the uncertainty of the clue.
"Absolutely nobody..."? How about anybody who watched Bravo when it was an arts network? (Or maybe anybody who looked at a TV Guide in the early 1980s...) Is there another network with an Italian name that anybody would have to consider?
I'm sure others got caught up in the meaninglessness of Friday's quotation and didn't quite grasp the importance of whales...which seems to have been the result of a mistranslation anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was definitely rooting for the woman who is from Alabama and seemed to be in my age range but unfortunately she fell short. I did match her FJ response.

Glad I wasn’t the only one amused by the study of xylophones. I was also charmed by Susie trying to politely give the meaning of gerontology.
davey

Post by davey »

BTW, Hobbes is not even referring to Leviathan here, the sea serpent cited elsewhere in Job by name, that serves Hobbes as a symbol for civil society. The passage is discussing beliefs about the afterlife, and is apparently meant to refer to the earthly Giants of early Hebrew scripture (the Nephilim).

Again, because those mighty men of the Earth, that lived in the time of Noah, before the floud, (which the Greeks called Heroes, and the Scripture Giants, and both say, were begotten, by copulation of the children of God, with the children of men,) were for their wicked life destroyed by the generall deluge; the place of the Damned, is therefore also sometimes marked out, by the company of those deceased Giants; as Proverbs 21.16. “The man that wandreth out of the way of understanding, shall remain in the congregation of the Giants,” and Job 26.5. “Behold the Giants groan under water, and they that dwell with them.” Here the place of the Damned, is under the water.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3207/32 ... he%20water

The clue is based on a false premise.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:58 pm BTW, Hobbes is not even referring to Leviathan here, the sea serpent cited elsewhere in Job by name, that serves Hobbes as a symbol for civil society. The passage is discussing beliefs about the afterlife, and is apparently meant to refer to the earthly Giants of early Hebrew scripture (the Nephilim).

Again, because those mighty men of the Earth, that lived in the time of Noah, before the floud, (which the Greeks called Heroes, and the Scripture Giants, and both say, were begotten, by copulation of the children of God, with the children of men,) were for their wicked life destroyed by the generall deluge; the place of the Damned, is therefore also sometimes marked out, by the company of those deceased Giants; as Proverbs 21.16. “The man that wandreth out of the way of understanding, shall remain in the congregation of the Giants,” and Job 26.5. “Behold the Giants groan under water, and they that dwell with them.” Here the place of the Damned, is under the water.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3207/32 ... he%20water

The clue is based on a false premise.
The clue didn't say that the title alludes to the same giants that the Job quote does. It merely attempted to trigger an association. Like the 2009 FJ in MOVIE DIRECTORS: "Since 1971 he has directed only 6 films, but those 6 have averaged more than $283 million each at the box office" I'm sure that was intentionally worded to make people think of a (then) six-film series, even though the director only helmed four films in that series.

I got the FJ in the very next show right because although I thought of the wrong novel, it was by the same author. Plenty of TOMs have nothing to do with the thing they're asking for; let's not say they impugn clues' integrity.
davey

Post by davey »

Here's a possible clue: This 17th C. author wrote of "that sea-beast...which God of all his works Created hugest that swim th' ocean-stream." That triggers an association nicely. The wrong one,
Maybe the 59% (and rising) of boardies who didn't make the connection with Leviathan that wasn't a connection to Leviathan shouldn't feel so bad... :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:20 pm
polaris wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm Funny how different people have different sets of facts in their brains.

I think you're overestimating kids' familiarity with the works of Hobbes (non tiger division)
Would kids know about the tiger? Players in the next college tournament have never seen him in a newspaper comics section. It ended in 1995.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:28 am
Volante wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:20 pm

Would kids know about the tiger? Players in the next college tournament have never seen him in a newspaper comics section. It ended in 1995.
Good question, but I'll bet a lot more kids could identify Hobbes the tiger than either Thomas Hobbes or Leviathian.