Monday, June 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GOLDEN AGE ACTRESSES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2013 the Victoria & Albert Museum acquired her archives, including letters from Laurence Olivier & Tennessee Williams

Julia Markham Cameron: 17400-12601=4799
Derek Allen: 11000-11000=0
Verlinda Johnson Henning: 15000+2500=17500 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vivien Leigh (Julia – Jessica Tandy) (Derek – Oliva De Haviland)

Daily Doubles
Derek: 1600+1600
Julia: 9800+4000
Julia: 17400-2000

Coryats
Julia: 17000
Derek: 10200
Verlinda: 15000

Combined: 42,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Julia: 6600
Derek: 5000
Verlinda: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nobody knew the British game show host? :(

Julia finished 1/3 on wagering clues when she needed a solve on the FJ! clue to remain champ. Nice work by Verlinda to get 15,000 without the aid of DDs in dispatching a 2-time champ.

The FJ! category had me wondering how far back to go and I went with Crawford & Davis for a short precall list.

The FJ! clue had my pen down before the music as it's easy when I knew exactly who to go to with Olivier & Williams in the wording. If a potential solver is up against only taking a guess the clue becomes much harder and more wide open as Derek & Julia demonstrated.

It was an edge to Verlinda on that clue for being the senior member of the panel looking at those names and she took full advantage. Was Mayim unsure about reading Derek's response or was the actresses's name unfamiliar to her? Ken or Buzzy would not have had any problem handling that one.

It's not 100%, but it seems like it is higher than 50% for a J! contestant posting their contestant photo on Reddit in the week prior to airing and then going on to win a game.

This was there last week: https://www.reddit.com/user/Smart-Pain-5211/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:43 pm Nobody knew the British game show host? :(
The first Weakest Link run in America was 20 years ago (wow). Only die-hard game show fans in America would get Anne Robinson, so it's no surprise it was a TS.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

bigblue999 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:54 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:43 pm Nobody knew the British game show host? :(
The first Weakest Link run in America was 20 years ago (wow). Only die-hard game show fans in America would get Anne Robinson, so it's no surprise it was a TS.
Not a die-hard game show fan by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I got it because her episodes were on back when I used to occasionally watch TV.

Poll request on manpo-kei.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The book is Bridge OVER, the movie is Bridge ON. Why that wasn't negged, I have no clue.

Never thought of Vivien Leigh. Instead I went with another Williams favorite: Vanessa Redgrave.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:34 pm
bigblue999 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:54 pm
Not a die-hard game show fan by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I got it because her episodes were on back when I used to occasionally watch TV.

Poll request on manpo-kei.
I watched it and can't recall her name.

Manpo-kei; walking this many steps was the gist of the question. I'm a Cantonese speaker so that was a gimme.

I had no clue whether Marlon Brando played Stanley or Blanche. Sorry. Just know he's not English. Submitted Hepburn.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Heir Guitar, "On", Landmarks, Arrivals & Departures, -isms, History
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Nathan Hale, Bismarck, Matthew Henson, Charles II, 10K DD (4600)
FJ: Cringe category, but given the clue was easy to get Vivian Leigh. :mrgreen:

Had to play from the archive due to tornado warnings for Weld County SW of Greeley.
J! 26/2, having Dylan for Owen, elephant for hippopotamus.
DJ!: 21/2, confusing Runnymede for the river & father-in-law for brother-in-law. :oops:

Manpo-kei was a WAG, but I seemed to recall hearing about 10K steps being a measure of walking.
What is so significant about 1738 in the History category? :?
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I could make my usual comment that this FJ category favored the generations older than mine, but I should have known this one. Oh well, one to add to the memory banks.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew that the whole "10,000 steps a day" thing stems from the fact the character for 10,000 in Japanese (万) supposedly resembles a man walking.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I didn't need Mayim to tell me De Haviland wasn't correct, since she was very much alive in 2013.

I had to root for Derek from Cass county Mich, the second contestant from that part of the state since ToC runner-up Jennifer Quail. Cassopolis is only about 10 miles from Dowagiac.
Too bad Derek couldn't get Vivien Leigh, to become a champion. He was in a position to blow the doors off of a careful wager by Verlinda and that almost happened. I had a hunch she wouldn't wager to cover being passed from third.

Lach Trash: Nathan Hale, Anne Robinson
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Made it as far as Blanche DuBois... blah.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:29 pm The book is Bridge OVER, the movie is Bridge ON. Why that wasn't negged, I have no clue.
Sure it was published that way, but the French title is Le Pont de la rivière Kwaï, which could be translated either way...
P.S. Apparently there were some editions, in the U.K. at least, published with David Lean's title.

I imagine the players just forgot the name of one of the most unpleasant TV personalities ever...Jane Lynch showed how that show - which I still hate - could be hosted with edge but charm.
I'm getting the sense that people don't know Olivier was married to Vivien Leigh...
Last edited by davey on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

well, they're not going to ask about Joan Plowright, so...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:23 pm
What is so significant about 1738 in the History category? :?
I do know there was a hit rap song a few years ago that prominently featured the name of that year because that was the year they started making Remy Martin. (Resultingly, the Kansas City Royals used "1738" as a running gag during their World Series run that year, with the players fining one another for failing to say "1738" in press conferences.)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:06 pm
I'm getting the sense that people don't know Olivier was married to Vivien Leigh...
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn :lol: .

I suppose "Golden Age" is well defined, but it seems a little ambiguous to me. I couldn't decide whether to go Kate Hepburn or Audrey Hepburn deep. I picked Liz Taylor, just because she was so ubiquitous during her heyday.

I could watch Julia play every day. I'd even walk ten steps to pick up the remote. It didn't wind up costing her the game thanks to her prudent wagering strategy.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:33 pm I suppose "Golden Age" is well defined, but it seems a little ambiguous to me. I couldn't decide whether to go Kate Hepburn or Audrey Hepburn deep. I picked Liz Taylor, just because she was so ubiquitous during her heyday.
I picked Liz, too, because she's English and I thought she played Blanche in "A Streetcar Named Desire." Turns out that was Vivien Leigh...

Apparently Jessica Tandy played Blanche on Broadway, so that was a pretty good guess by Julia.

I also missed Anne Robinson. I watched the show and remember her, but couldn't pull her name. That was a long time ago.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had a weird brain fart on FJ!. I got as far as "the actress who played Scarlett O'Hara" because I remembered that she was British and was pretty sure she had played Blanche, but I absolutely could not remember her name. I got Anne Robinson immediately, so I'm not sure what that says about me, if anything.

I liked Verlinda.