Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

Yeah I’ve never heard of story telling coach either. I was a Union member but I guessed lunch hour myself. That probably came about half a century or more before WWII. Nice game by the coach. I get the feeling that MB doesn’t look forward to the anecdote section.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Strangely my wife and I both thought of the contract negotiation angle and both said "cooling off." I didn't like it at all, but that I was all I could think of.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

R Lee Ermey, storytelling coach... "Work on that dialogue, you maggot! Jesus H Christ, monkeys with scrabble tiles could foreshadow better than you! What is this cliche trope doing in your footlocker?!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 pm Yeah I’ve never heard of story telling coach either.
Nor I, but I guess that's why some people get rich and some don't.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Lots of requests from the judges so far this thread. I have an alternate response of gi instead of kimono in FASHIONABLY for $200 and I'm counting it unless someone else can prove otherwise.

I should have snagged up all the DJ $2000 trash, but I switched from my first instinct of Baha'i and said Sikhism. Bleh.

+1 tea time, flat out did not like this clue.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 am Lots of request from the judges so far this thread. I have an alternate response of gi instead of kimono in FASHIONABLY for $200 and I'm counting it unless someone else can prove otherwise.
Seems good to me.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:11 pm
Spum wrote: Verlinda has terrible Daily Double wagers to blame for not repeating.
MarkBarrett" wrote: Naturally, Verlinda picked the FJ! round to then bet big.
If the previous game was any indication, I'm not so sure that Verlinda would have wagered enough to beat Molly doubling up, with pre-FJ scores at 9500-9000-17200. She may have felt comfortable only betting 6000 in that scenario.
Of course, Molly may have also helped her out so that she didn't need a singleton anyway.
Yes, there is lot to say about tonight's wagering.

Verlinda did throw the game away with her DD wagers, but I would also note that Tim needed only $801 more to lock the game and he left much more than that.

But, to me, Molly's wager is almost the most puzzling of all. Did she just randomly pick $7,000 out of the air? I can't see any logic at all. Tim did bet enough more than the MSB that she had a chance on a get. But, a standard round-up $1,000 wager, probably the most likely leader wager other than $801 with these scores, would not have helped her any.

In fact, it would have almost been easier to make sense of Molly betting $0. That would have guaranteed her second place. And, she could always pretend not to know FJ, even if she actually did, so no one would have to know if she threw a win away.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had lunch hour due to the “period of time” bit. I have heard of coffee break but it has always just been called a “15 minute break” at my jobs. Never been a member of a union.

Bad wagering today. Verlinda bets small on DDs but big on FJ, when she really had no chance of winning.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:32 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm ...For the last DJ clue, I said viticulture rather than wine since they are growing grapes in the photo. Judges?...
I'd allow it. I forgot the exact wording and just started spouting related words. "Grapes! Vineyards! Oenology!"
I had viticulture as well and have a beef with the response of "wine". Since when is wine a type of agriculture? Do people grow wine? Are there wine farms I don't know about? It's like showing a picture of an apple orchard and saying "Look - they're growing cider!".

"Lunch break" for FJ. The "After the war" bit threw me and I started wondering if there was some military jargon in play.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The correction of "metal" to "heavy metal" was bizarre. The latter term is rarely used anymore.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 am The correction of "metal" to "heavy metal" was bizarre. The latter term is rarely used anymore.
How to start a fight in a room full of music nerds:
'Metal and Heavy Metal [or Rock/Rock and Roll; Country/Country & Western; Punk/Punk Rock; Alternative/Alternative Rock/Alt Rock...] are different names for the same thing!'
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

mahatma wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 am The correction of "metal" to "heavy metal" was bizarre. The latter term is rarely used anymore.
How to start a fight in a room full of music nerds:
'Metal and Heavy Metal [or Rock/Rock and Roll; Country/Country & Western; Punk/Punk Rock; Alternative/Alternative Rock/Alt Rock...] are different names for the same thing!'
yclept

Post by yclept »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:49 pm
Leander wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Judges: son for lad? :?:

I think the category was the actual answers to the first crossword puzzle, so I don’t think alternatives would be acceptable.
So this is a "Guess the random word we're thinking of" category? Very bad form if so. :x
Yeah, I was surprised they didn’t at least give the first letter on that clue. Who is going to know exactly what the first ever crossword puzzle looked like? Every clue should have included additional info that could only lead to one plausible answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

yclept wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am

I think the category was the actual answers to the first crossword puzzle, so I don’t think alternatives would be acceptable.
So this is a "Guess the random word we're thinking of" category? Very bad form if so. :x
Yeah, I was surprised they didn’t at least give the first letter on that clue. Who is going to know exactly what the first ever crossword puzzle looked like? Every clue should have included additional info that could only lead to one plausible answer.
I smell a poll request!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 pm Strangely my wife and I both thought of the contract negotiation angle and both said "cooling off." I didn't like it at all, but that I was all I could think of.
I was on the same track, until at the last second I saw that the category was "food & drink" phrases. Blurted out coffee break as a guess.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

YouTube certainly hasn't been helpful :x. The replies have been on the order of "Hurr Durr, it's wrong", as if those pinheads know what's in a century-old crossword puzzle
earendel

Post by earendel »

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this statement, but "lad" seems more appropriate for a century-old crossword puzzle. After all, how often do you hear a young boy referred to as a "lad"?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

"Lad" is more of an exact match; I have no problem with it as a $200 clue. At least it wasn't the Daily Double.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 pm Strangely my wife and I both thought of the contract negotiation angle and both said "cooling off." I didn't like it at all, but that I was all I could think of.
I was on the same track, until at the last second I saw that the category was "food & drink" phrases. Blurted out coffee break as a guess.
I felt like cooling off was a stretch for a food & drink phrase, but it could be.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am YouTube certainly hasn't been helpful :x. The replies have been on the order of "Hurr Durr, it's wrong", as if those pinheads know what's in a century-old crossword puzzle
Here's the actual first crossword: https://www.crosswordtournament.com/mor ... rk%20World.
And the solution: https://www.crosswordtournament.com/more/wynne2.html

(see 13 down on the right)