Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK PHRASES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1951 TIME article said, "Since the war," this 2-word term for a period of time "has been written into union contracts"

Verlinda Johnson Henning: 4500+4500=9000
Molly Feibel: 9000-7000=2000
Tim Lopez: 17200-2800=14400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
coffee break (Molly – lunch break) (Tim – happy hour lunch b)

Daily Doubles
Verlinda: 3400+500
Tim: 11200+4800
Verlinda: 3100+1000

Coryats
Verlinda: 5000
Molly: 9000
Tim: 13200

Combined: 27,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Verlinda: 3900
Molly: 1000
Tim: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MUSICAL GENRES gave Mayim more than one opportunity to say the word.

Better late than never for it taking three tries to get the right title for the CBS show.

I'll admit to getting a kick out of Verlinda telling a Twilight series movie story for chat time. Good for her.

The FJ! category had me thinking pessimistically that my streak of clues correct would end and I could not even come up with a good precall.

The FJ! clue had me without detours like the challengers took and I only wrote the correct response. It can't be fun for those that have multiple options to shuffle through and have to guess what would have been in a 1951 article.

Verlinda left 2900 and 2100 on the table with her two DD hits. She could have used those possible score bumps to make her sole solve really pay off instead of only gaining the 2nd place prize.

Tim needed to get to 18001 on a get to make sure Molly could not pass him. He instead tried to get to a pretty 20 on the nose. If Tim had bet and lost 801 he would have had 16399. Tim instead fell to 14400. Molly attempted to get all the way up to 16K. Molly could have solved the FJ! clue and won even though she would have been shy of Tim's expected fall-to point.

Naturally, Verlinda picked the FJ! round to then bet big.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I noodled this one for a good give minutes and couldn't think of anything that fit. I've literally never heard it called a "coffee break" in my life.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

+1 lunch break. Even if I had thought of coffee break, I probably would have discounted it as I didn't think it would be something in a union contract.

Also, never heard of buffalo plaid.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

Verlinda has terrible Daily Double wagers to blame for not repeating.

Had lunch hour.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 pm +1 lunch break. Even if I had thought of coffee break, I probably would have discounted it as I didn't think it would be something in a union contract.

Also, never heard of buffalo plaid.
I’ve heard of buffalo plaid, but never connected it with Christmas particularly, so I was lost on this one.

I thought of coffee break, but had the same doubts about it being a union thing. However, I couldn’t think of anything better and went with it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

DDs: :D :D :( (shoulda but could not get seal)
trash: Tyler, Dixiecrats, Confucianism, Bahai, Black Sea, wine (8600)
FJ: Had what is lunch break, able to switch to coffee break near the end. :mrgreen:

Judges: son for lad? :?:

Bad misses for me were Shelley for Keats, Belgium for Netherlands. :x
Leander

Post by Leander »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:30 pm

I think the category was the actual answers to the first crossword puzzle, so I don’t think alternatives would be acceptable.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Dixiecrats a TS?? Oy redux. For the last DJ clue, I said viticulture rather than wine since they are growing grapes in the photo. Judges? For FJ, like Mark I never had a second thought and was lucky that my thought was correct. I knew that coffee drinking had gone way up in the war so that made sense to me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm ...For the last DJ clue, I said viticulture rather than wine since they are growing grapes in the photo. Judges?...
I'd allow it. I forgot the exact wording and just started spouting related words. "Grapes! Vineyards! Oenology!"

$_lunch_break++;
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:17 pm For the last DJ clue, I said viticulture rather than wine since they are growing grapes in the photo. Judges?
I messed that up. I figured since the seller is called a vintner, it must be vinticulture. Oops.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had "happy hour" at first, but the "union contracts" bit steered me in the right direction.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Leander wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:30 pm

I think the category was the actual answers to the first crossword puzzle, so I don’t think alternatives would be acceptable.
So this is a "Guess the random word we're thinking of" category? Very bad form if so. :x
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:48 pm I had "happy hour" at first, but the "union contracts" bit steered me in the right direction.
I'd happily join a union with that sort of leverage.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. I missed FJ and wrote down "tea time" without being able to think of anything that made sense. I was trying to think of a business specific term like wildcat strike or force majeure that involved a period of time and a type of food but couldn't think of anything. I was closer than I expected.

Fashion is a category I'm afraid of but I didn't do that badly today. I tried to look up pancake beret and it looks like it's literally just hats fashioned to look like pancakes. Am I missing something? Is that fashionable? What about waffle hats?

I'm a bit curious what a storytelling coach is.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Young MC (Bust A Move), reverie, blight, Palomino, and Baha'i.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was a little surprised that Baha'i was missed (Zoroastrianism predates Christianity and certainly did not arise in the 19th century), but given that religion is a wheelhouse category, I don't have the best gauge on what *should* be common knowledge. Perhaps one way of remembering that it's more modern is remembering how ecumenical it is; it seems like the sort of religion that would be more likely to have emerged more recently.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Spum wrote: Verlinda has terrible Daily Double wagers to blame for not repeating.
MarkBarrett" wrote: Naturally, Verlinda picked the FJ! round to then bet big.
If the previous game was any indication, I'm not so sure that Verlinda would have wagered enough to beat Molly doubling up, with pre-FJ scores at 9500-9000-17200. She may have felt comfortable only betting 6000 in that scenario.
Of course, Molly may have also helped her out so that she didn't need a singleton anyway.