Wednesday, June 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

Sam Cooke would be another candidate for posthumous 1960s hits.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

A number of years ago I saw The Rolling Stones in concert at Atlanta & they did a tribute to Redding. Mick’s pronunciation of Macon was tortured. Instead of rhyming with bacon it was rhymed with pecan. But that did keep it in my mind. One of my favorite songs ever.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

nothing came for me in the FJ except Sam.... can't remember Cook.

Answered, In Search of Lost Time. Don't know much about Shakespeare quotes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm The FJ! clue had me done before Mayim finished reading.
That FJ clue had ME done before Mayim finished reading and we (should?) all know my pop music score around here! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

37R. 3/4 on big clues. Tough categories for me today. Did not get the Texas/Kansas/Arkansas clue. Got Texas and then tried to think of other states that ended with "S". Got stuck on Massachusetts. Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay is a really enjoyable song. I thought about Ray Charles briefly since he is linked to Georgia and music but moved on from that pretty quickly.

Disappointed that The Wire wasn't about The Wire. There is a police sting operation in the news recently where the FBI provided an app to criminals and it reminded me of the plot of The Wire so that's been on my mind. If you haven't seen The Wire you should go watch it.

I have mixed feelings about Mayim Bialik. Her laughing distracted me today and there was a bit too much extra information. Other than some noticeable drawbacks her hosting has been excellent.

I was waiting for Edelweiss to show up in the flower category and ended up missing almost all those clues. In the comedic character category I kept trying to name the show instead of the character.

Got confused on George R. R. Martin's first book and thought they were asking for the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire which didn't fit the Dylan Thomas poem. Also what happened to George R. R. Martin. Is he alright? Somebody should check on him.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Tony Shalhoub/The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel/Midge, carnation, orchid, jasmine, and suspension.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

When I heard Macon GA, I immediately thought Little Richard, but the "overlooking water" didn't jive. Then I clicked on "posthumous" and quickly knew it must be Redding. I wasn't conciously aware that he was also from Macon.
MarkBarrett wrote:
mungar wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I"ronhorse" wrote: "Posthumous hit" would have been enough given the category.
If it is 1970s is there a better choice than Jim Croce?
Janis Joplin
Good one.
Jim Morrison and Ronnie Van Zant, although theirs did not reach number 1.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TIL that Otis Redding is dead. :(
The water and Georgia got me to the song and artist. I've always kind of wondered why he didn't have more hit songs. Death is a good career move for a musician or artist, but is tough on your discography.
I'm not fond of this clue with it's strong bias toward Boomers.

Arkansas and Kansas.
I pronounce the terminal 's' on both states (as well as Illinois), much to the annoyance of twelvefootgirl. I'm close to both states and I've never heard "Arkansan" said aloud. It sounds like hell, and is confusing so I think even broadcasters just say "from Arkansaw". Mostly we just joke about the family that moved from Missouri to Arkansas and raised the IQ in both states :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 pm
mungar wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:38 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 pm "Posthumous hit" would have been enough given the category.
If it is 1970s is there a better choice than Jim Croce?
Janis Joplin
Good one.
And for the '80s (barely) you've got "(Just Like) Starting Over" by John Lennon.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:17 pm On the one hand, I wouldn't call Northern Ireland a "country". On the other, I'm glad "Ireland" was (I gather?) outright negged, as I can remember it being BMSed in the past.
England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are called "constituent countries" or "home nations" in the UK.
Yes, that is what they call them.

I had the posthumous Billboard #1's down through John Lennon but I had not kept up. There have been a few since, but a couple are problematic for trivia because the posthumous one is "featured" but not top-billed. Notorious B.I.G., though, had two posthumous #1s ("Hypnotize" and "Mo Money Mo Problems") in 1997, so it might be useful to remember him. Also, he is a bit better known than the others to the average schmo.

I thought of Kansas and Arkansas more or less together.
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm The FJ! category had my precalls all over the place from Lulu, Little Eva, and Lesley Gore to Elvis, Motown and Cher. When my thoughts went to Barry Sadler and "The Ballad of the Green Berets" followed by William Shatner I figured it was time to stop early thinking. The way I was going I'm surprised I did not think of Richard Harris and "MacArthur Park" until after the show.
I got it instantly from the clue. You could have left Elvis Motown Cher Shatner & Harris out of your pre-call. The category clearly called for someone who came and went in the 60s rather than someone who either broke out in that decade or was popular in that decade. And Shatner doesn't fit the category as a non singer. They are not going to ask about somebody with a side deal making one record.

For 1970s posthumous would lead me straight to Jim Croce, although I know all of his hits cold and wouldn't need such a Tom. Jeopardy in the early days of Trebek once asked in a clue for the singer who had three top 40 hits before and three after his death in a plane crash in 1973.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
earendel

Post by earendel »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 pm TIL that Otis Redding is dead. :(
The water and Georgia got me to the song and artist. I've always kind of wondered why he didn't have more hit songs. Death is a good career move for a musician or artist, but is tough on your discography.
I'm not fond of this clue with it's strong bias toward Boomers.

Arkansas and Kansas.
I pronounce the terminal 's' on both states (as well as Illinois), much to the annoyance of twelvefootgirl. I'm close to both states and I've never heard "Arkansan" said aloud. It sounds like hell, and is confusing so I think even broadcasters just say "from Arkansaw". Mostly we just joke about the family that moved from Missouri to Arkansas and raised the IQ in both states :lol: .
I'm from Oklahoma - we called people from Kansas "Kansans" but people from Arkansas were "Arkansawyers".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 pm Arkansas and Kansas.
Was that Missour-ee, or Missour-uh?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mahatma wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:48 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 pm Arkansas and Kansas.
Was that Missour-ee, or Missour-uh?
Depends on whether or not they moved across the creek or 'cross the crick.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:20 pm I'd be interested in a poll on which 2 of the 3 states everyone said for DD2. I feel like Texas is the most obvious, but when you start with Kansas (like I did), it's more natural to jump to Arkansas after that.
For me, Arkansas was immediate with Kansas about a second behind. Texas took another 10 seconds of thought.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:17 pm On the one hand, I wouldn't call Northern Ireland a "country". On the other, I'm glad "Ireland" was (I gather?) outright negged, as I can remember it being BMSed in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries ... ed_Kingdom
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Arkansas and Kansas. Not sure which was first, but they came in quick succession. I guess if Texas came first it is harder to get the other.

Agree it was a bad DD bet. Either bet little to keep the lead on a miss or big enough to guarantee a lead going into FJ.

Instaget FJ. I assume Hendrix was just a “something is better than nothing” guess as he is pretty famously associated with Seattle.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:18 pm I assume Hendrix was just a “something is better than nothing” guess as he is pretty famously associated with Seattle.
I have a feeling you're vastly overestimating how many people know Jimi grew up in Seattle.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:48 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:18 pm I assume Hendrix was just a “something is better than nothing” guess as he is pretty famously associated with Seattle.
I have a feeling you're vastly overestimating how many people know Jimi grew up in Seattle.
I asked my wife and she had no idea where he was from. (I do personally associate him with Seattle, but don't think of him as being associated as such in the public consciousness like, say, Nirvana.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He also has a statue in his hometown.

https://quirkytravelguy.com/jimi-hendri ... e-seattle/

Didn’t know Redding was from Macon.

I just looked it up and Little Richard was also from Macon. Redding once played in his band.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm He also has a statue in his hometown.

https://quirkytravelguy.com/jimi-hendri ... e-seattle/
Also a park: https://www.seattle.gov/parks/find/park ... ndrix-park