Thursday, June 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Thursday, June 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 4/4 on big clues. I learned about Godspell by watching The Chase earlier this week, hadn't heard of it before that. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out what FJ was asking and then managed to write down the correct responses. It was in the news somewhat frequently that Kavanaugh was a clerk for Kennedy. Also that Kennedy's son worked for Deutsche Bank which was involved in Russian money laundering before Kennedy's surprising and abrupt retirement.

Judges and Kings are the two occupational books of the bible that they ask about and not Job. I might have made that mistake once too.

13,200 in Lach trash gives me a fourth podium win. Rare occurrence for me.

I missed cyberspace and guessed World Wide Web. Should I be reading William Gibson? How revered is he on this forum and what should I start with?

It took a bit of a search to find out how Charing Cross related to the monument for Queen Eleanor. From Wikipedia: Charing derives from French chère reine (dear queen). British railway stations come up occasionally but they're a difficult category for people like me living near Los Angeles. Except for a brief stop at an airport I have not visited London. Also I don't think that one came up in Harry Potter.

I got Childe Harold's Pilgrimage mixed up with Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came again. Added to my list of things I get confused.

Was expecting Mom and Pop to show up in the palindrome category but they didn't.

The archive has "corresponding" which is what the contestant said but the correct response is "correspondence" and it should probably be listed in parentheses.

Some things that I missed that I want to get next time are Henry Ford II (The Deuce), adzuki beans, adagio, pup tent, and parlor games.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oy^3. This was a 3-car pileup of Subarus, to steal from AP. FJ was an exercise for me of recalling who the most recent hires and retirements/deaths were. Would I have had time to write my answer down before Think time expired? Uncertain at best.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Picked up tons of expensive trash in DJ, only clamming on Charing Cross. If they would have mentioned the Helene Hanff book, I would have snuffed it out.

I am big on the Bialik bandwagon, but I agree that these little quips and comments after responses have to stop, especially at the end of the game. It's distracting at home, and I can't imagine how off-putting it could be on stage with the game on the line.

For FJ, I got as far as guessing it was either Kavanaugh or Gorsuch as the replacer, but couldn't muster a replacee.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pm
I missed cyberspace and guessed World Wide Web. Should I be reading William Gibson? How revered is he on this forum and what should I start with?
All I knew about him was that he wrote sci-fi and apparently coined "cyberspace", but that has kept me in pretty good stead so far. Wikipedia tells me he's the "noir prophet of cyberpunk", which isn't a bad title.

Tim Berners-Lee is the name that goes with World Wide Web. That comes up pretty often.

There were a surprising number of possible pairs to fit the FJ clue, but party considerations made most of them unlikely. Still, it's easy to stop thinking once you have something.

Iola Morton, Apollonia Corleone...can we make a whole category?
I'm smart and I want respect.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

MattKnowles wrote: "I missed cyberspace and guessed World Wide Web. Should I be reading William Gibson? How revered is he on this forum and what should I start with?"

gibson's first and best novel was "neuromancer," which won the hugo, nebula, and philip k dick awards. it is widely considered to be the beginning of cyberpunk. i haven't been much impressed with the rest of his work.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Becky was not sharp by the end after winning the J! round with 5800.

Hmm...where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah...Rami Fakhouri's situation.

Had $7,000 going into Double Jeopardy!, but wound up with $4,200 going into FJ!

Rami ran into trouble with 4 negs (3 $1,600 and 1 $2,000) on the big clues...same with Becky, 3 separate negs on different big clues ($1,200, $1,600 and $2,000).

I'm not even sure why Becky said the same thing on the $1,600 Biblical Broadway clue when the champ got it wrong. She's probably lucky to have been able to participate in FJ! after being outbuzzed for most of DJ!

Man...not the prettiest finish we've seen in a game after the 2021 ToC, but, there's probably worse ones.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 am I'm not even sure why Becky said the same thing on the $1,600 Biblical Broadway clue when the champ got it wrong.
Becky got it wrong first, then Mara repeated her with a pronunciation correction.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

DBear wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 pm runs: Set,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Garanimals, Oral Roberts, Judges, debunk, cyberspace, Helsinki DD, Heinlein, malachite (10600)
FJ: Stevens & Sotomayor, matching jpr281.

Had Adelaide for Adalie.
Shades of Green had the easiest clues on the bottom.
I think Ankit should've bet exactly 4800. It's just enough to beat a cover & miss by Mara, while still preserving 2nd place if Ankit misses.
I agree, $4,800 is the optimum wager here. That, or at least $6,201 as others have said so that the leader has to answer correctly.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I was shocked (and deeply saddened) to learn that the revisionist Hardy Boys writers had killed off Iola Morton. This would have been inconceivable in my time with the lads (last one I read was probably in 1962). I was even more surprised they hadn't changed Iola's name since it pretty much places her in the 1920s, which I figured would be the last thing the revisionists would aim for.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:15 am I was shocked (and deeply saddened) to learn that the revisionist Hardy Boys writers had killed off Iola Morton. This would have been inconceivable in my time with the lads (last one I read was probably in 1962). I was even more surprised they hadn't changed Iola's name since it pretty much places her in the 1920s, which I figured would be the last thing the revisionists would aim for.
I remember getting the first book of the relaunch for Christmas (after enjoying my brother's copies of the original series) and being turned off by how dark it was going to be, as portended by Iola's unnecessary death.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

merica wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:42 am
DBear wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 pm runs: Set,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Garanimals, Oral Roberts, Judges, debunk, cyberspace, Helsinki DD, Heinlein, malachite (10600)
FJ: Stevens & Sotomayor, matching jpr281.

Had Adelaide for Adalie.
Shades of Green had the easiest clues on the bottom.
I think Ankit should've bet exactly 4800. It's just enough to beat a cover & miss by Mara, while still preserving 2nd place if Ankit misses.
I agree, $4,800 is the optimum wager here. That, or at least $6,201 as others have said so that the leader has to answer correctly.
I don't understand all the hand wringing about Ankit's wager amount. He missed the freaking question. He also said (lifted from MB's hard work):

(Ankit: Don't love the category, so just a thousand, please.)
(Mayim: All right, I won't take it personally.)
[Laughter]
(Ankit: What is Reykjavik?)
(Mayim: No, what is [*]? That's where he studied architecture.)

Doesn't this give him immunity from the peanut gallery? He chose not to die on that hill. Maybe he'd have $995.00 more if he bet 5 bucks but his endgame depended on what happened, to happen. Which it did :).

Writing this after attempting to watch a double ep on Friday and found French Open tennis on my DVR. I won't spoil the outcome of the semi-final match because well, I can't :lol:

I prefer all the extra info from Mayim. I also like the plain vanilla 'no' for a wrong answer. I put her in front of Katie for the non-male guest hosts. Buzzy was the schizzle, but we already had a white man for 35+ years. Reverse sexism? probably (shrug).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:17 pm
Buzzy was the schizzle, but we already had a white man for 35+ years.
Pretty sure you mean "shiznit". Shizzle means "sure", as in "fo' shizzle."
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't understand all the hand wringing about Ankit's wager amount. He missed the freaking question. He also said (lifted from MB's hard work):

[Laughter]

Doesn't this give him immunity from the peanut gallery? He chose not to die on that hill. Maybe he'd have $995.00 more if he bet 5 bucks but his endgame depended on what happened, to happen. Which it did :).
They're talking about his FJ wager (enough to be overtaken by Becky if he was wrong, not enough to catch Mara if he was right and she bet $0).
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pm
I've only read Neuromancer. It's pretty good and influential. But I found it very difficult to read. Nothing is spelled out too clearly for the reader. You sort of have to pick up hints of the setting and terminology of the world as you go.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:06 am

[Laughter]

They're talking about his FJ wager (enough to be overtaken by Becky if he was wrong, not enough to catch Mara if he was right and she bet $0).
Ooh, Sorry. My bad schizzle, for shnizzle (@Lefty: I will stop, I promise ;)). Probably no category alibi for that bet.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 pm Finally done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7042

Not the kind of game I could archive quickly. My hands are tired of typing Mayim today.
Obviously this is a little late in the game but I wonder for the guest host era could Robert have programmed the Archive to fill-in the name of the host and you would simply have to write "Host:" every time they add something? Could still be something to consider before the fall should the job go to say, Mahershala Ali. (Hopefuly not using his birth name of Mahershalalhashbaz)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Stevens/Sotomayor here.

I didn’t think his bet was that bad. It got him above the leader’s MSBIW on a get and stays above third place on a miss. Granted, it doesn’t work if the leader bets zero, but that doesn’t happen often.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It was big news that Roberts, who was originally nominated to replace O'Connor, would be serving on the Supreme Court with the Justice he clerked for, Rehnquist. This would be the first time a Justice would serve with one of his Clerks. Then Rehnquist died and Roberts's nomination to replace O'Connor was withdrawn and he was nominated to replace Rehnquist. Then it was big news that it was the first time a former clerk would replace a Justice.

So I knew it had to be more recently than 2005. The only alliterative pairs in that period Were Sotomayor and Souter and Kavanaugh and Kennedy. I knew Kavanaugh had clerked for Kennedy so done. I was wondering if somebody was going to get the time frame messed up and go with Blackmun and Breyer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Geranimals is new to me.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
Douglas Squasoni