Capital One College Bowl

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Capital One College Bowl

Post by Linear Gnome »

This would have completely slipped under my radar except that I caught a glimpse of an advertisement while fast forwarding through commercials and went "wait...what?". It premieres on NBC on June 22. Teams of three, Peyton Manning hosting, other information available through your favorite search engine.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Re: Capital One College Bowl

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I participated in a pilot run-through before the show was announced officially. A very talented group of people are working on this show. Definitely worth the watch!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just saw an ad for its Tuesday debut. I’ll check it out.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

If I'd realized at the time that being an NFL quarterback opened so many doors, I might have done things differently.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not bad for a first effort. Cooper didn’t really add much and I think he slowed things down with his side comments.

Bama won, made the next round and beat Auburn.

Nice touch with the alums appearing to provide moral support. Joe Namath is looking old. Funny having Brady on for Michigan with Peyton hosting. I’d make it a true Daily Double Archie is Ole Miss’ guest next week.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Those questions were too easy.
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 am Those questions were too easy.
My thoughts exactly. Also, I wish there were a rule against phrasing the response in the form of "We're going with..."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:43 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 am Those questions were too easy.
My thoughts exactly. Also, I wish there were a rule against phrasing the response in the form of "We're going with..."
Agree on both. But they seem to be trying to reach a broader audience than Jeopardy or the old College Bowl. More of a sports show with the rivalries aspect, although I guess Ohio State didn’t want to play so we got Minnesota.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Solid show.

The questions may have been of moderate difficulty at best, but I have no problem with that. The captain of the Michigan team was insanely good during the 2-minute drill.

Given Minnesota’s performance in that same round, perhaps “History” wasn’t the topic they should have gone to. I don’t know exactly what strategy Michigan used in going with Pre-Med but if part of their thinking was “That doesn’t seem to be as broad as some of the other categories on the board,” kudos to them.

One has to assume Duke and North Carolina decided against participation. No doubt that the producers would have wanted that matchup.
davey

Post by davey »

Why do the teams have spokespersons for the answers? Shouldn't the team members have their own buzzers? The guy who knew how to spell Schwarzenegger could have answered himself...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, the material is on the easier side for J! folks, but it's not as if the students knew everything. Home viewers like to play along and answer stuff making the difficulty level seem fine to me.

Namath is always on TV hawking something to negate the surprise factor of him no longer looking like he is visiting the Bradys.

Whether the asides are written or ad lib, I laughed at some of them and had a good time watching the show. No specific rooting interest or anti-rooting interest for me and I can enjoy all the teams.

To me this is not a 10:00 show although I do understand the utilizing the lead-in of AGT.

NBC will rerun it this Saturday at 8.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Joe just turned 78 and is definitely showing it. He pops up on TV around here during football season sometimes. Sir Charles is always good for a few laughs.

I wasn’t a fan of Cooper’s asides, but they weren’t nearly as painful to watch as the guy in the box or the girl with the hair on AGT. Ouch!!!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:43 am
Also wish all four categories were picked in each round. Didn't get to see European nor Central American Geography. :evil:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Some of the bonuses were decent but the tossups were pretty lame, especially since (I assume) you can't buzz until the end so basically they were just 5 or 6-way buzzer races every time. As it turns out, the number of points that can be scored in the two-minute drill dwarfs the tossup/bonus portion of the game, making it pretty pointless. If I could make one tweak it might be to forgo the tossups altogether and just alternate asking bonus sets to each team which they pick from the category board. It would be weird to have team trivia like this with no buzzer component but the way it's currently configured, the buzzer aspect plays very little role anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t quite grasp how the tossup round worked. I wish the two minute drill let anyone buzz in instead of making the captain answer.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm This would have completely slipped under my radar except that I caught a glimpse of an advertisement while fast forwarding through commercials and went "wait...what?". It premieres on NBC on June 22. Teams of three, Peyton Manning hosting, other information available through your favorite search engine.
"favorite search engine"?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Mario500 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:15 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm This would have completely slipped under my radar except that I caught a glimpse of an advertisement while fast forwarding through commercials and went "wait...what?". It premieres on NBC on June 22. Teams of three, Peyton Manning hosting, other information available through your favorite search engine.
"favorite search engine"?
Bing, obviously
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Why is Cooper There? we dont really need funny in this. I know they are trying to reach a bigger audience, but honestly he wasnt all that funny. i think i only laughed like 3 Times.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

He adds nothing. It is interesting that the teams have one of two players who know nearly all the info while one just sits there. Maybe they need a format change.