Friday, June 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Latin for "key", this word for a type of isolated country applies to Vatican City, which has keys on its flag

Ankit Gupta: 1800+0=1800
Mike Goldstein: 12800-10000=2800
Katie Sekelsky: 11200-3201=7999 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
enclave (Mike – principality) (Katie – see)

Daily Doubles
Mike: 3400+3400
Mike: 8600-5000
Ankit: 5600-5000

Coryats
Ankit: 6800
Mike: 15400
Katie: 11200

Combined: 33,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ankit: 2800
Mike: 7000
Katie: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One thing that seemed to disappear during the the Mayim weeks was, "We were looking for..."

One thing that went up during the Mayim weeks was extra information. It's tough to find the right balance and I would say giving the full name of the Boston area place of higher learning is not necessary.

I laughed the combination of Mayim's reaction to the fictional bull being a stumper followed by the category call of WOMEN.

Another good 1-2 combo was the (human) boxer clue responded to correctly by the proper contestant.

Katie had a bunch of errors, spent time in the red and misidentified the photo of a baseball great. None of that matters as she will be the one playing on Monday.

Ankit bet big on DD3 and he got burned. He probably still loses on a smaller wager depending on what Katie does in a different scenario while a solve and he gets the repeat. As is the sole solve by Ankit was wasted as he did not even get the 2nd place consolation money.

Mike wagered 5 large on DD2 and while I can understand someone missing DD3, a contestant who wants to play a second game can't let that kind of lit clue get away and cost a lock.

The FJ! category had me thinking vocab with perhaps unusual letter combos such as fjord or isthmus. I assured myself I knew which Tropic of was above and below the equator and which Horn was S.A. and which one was Africa.

The FJ! clue had me using the Latin with a dash of French to figure it out more than flat out knowing what to call the Vatican. Whatever works and when it comes time to voting for Mayim I may need to go up a notch for the personal reason of acing all 10 of the FJ! clues she read.

Next week it's Savannah Guthrie. I'm not a TODAY watcher, but am familiar with her from talk show appearances and coverage of her eye accident.

Mayim's total for her charity: $194,851
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 pm Savannah Guthrie ... coverage of her eye accident
Being stabbed in the eye with a toy truck by one's 4-year-old is def something I can identify with these days
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ALSO A DOG BREED $400 made me think of Merrie Melodies "Dog Daze" with the dog hocking a loogie.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm pre-empted tonight, so I'll just play FJ off the board. Instaget.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “small.” —Bob
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Great Dane!

I would have flubbed Diamond Head, Doris Kearns Goodwin and Ferdinand with close-but-no-cigar responses

I thought for sure Katie was a goner. What a shock when she won! Good on her for making the correct final wager :)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm
I thought for sure Katie was a goner. What a shock when she won! Good on her for making the correct final wager :)
I noticed she began writing immediately and was surprised she answered incorrectly.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Dog Breeds,
DDs: :D :D :D (now's the time for adroit ;) )
trash: Great Dane, Lost Horizon DD, adroit DD, Ferdinand
FJ: What is enclave? :mrgreen: WAG. :o

Could not pull Josh Gibson. Had plutonium for antimatter. :|
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:30 pm
I got Josh Gibson but blanked on Pete Rose. I won't let myself live that down for quite awhile.

Lou Brock?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:28 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm
I noticed she began writing immediately and was surprised she answered incorrectly.
They cut to her right at the end of the think music and you can tell she doesn't have it. I thought for sure the leader had it right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:41 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:30 pm
I got Josh Gibson but blanked on Pete Rose. I won't let myself live that down for quite awhile.

Lou Brock?
Lou was one of the last guys you wanted to give a free pass, as the leader in stolen bases at that time.
I actually got to see Lou Brock play in person. 8-) Made a few pilgrimages to Busch Stadium with my dad back in the day.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

J! writers inviting controversy over the real hit king :lol:
Spoiler
Ichiro Suzuki has 4367 between NPB and MLB, Rose only 4256. Rose does have more at bats (500 more exactly) though so that did pin the clue
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Between LL and here, I am shocked at how many people didn’t recognize Lost Horizon as the source of Shang-ri-la. It took me a moment to put FJ together, as I thought that the Latin for key was caius because of the college.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Crushed DJ tonight with 26 R. Never heard of the Ghost Dance movement, so I'll have to look that one up. Missed DD3 as my French is no bueno, and blanked on seasoned. Also said dark matter instead of antimatter :oops:

I really, really, really wanted Mayim to head my list of hopefuls, but Ken is still firmly on top.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 4/4 on big clues. Finally getting Lost Horizon without any problem. Had it mixed up with The Lost World.

I got as far as "Danish" and then ran out of time and missed Great Dane. Missed with schnauzer instead of pug.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Josh Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Doris Kearns Goodwin, beaver, and the Ghost Dance movement.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 pm Missed DD3 as my French is no bueno,
Or 'maladroit'.

I wonder if they pulled out the stylebook after Mike's "Could I get...?" clue request. Anyway, I hope it doesn't start a trend. Funny that just two of those baseball clues came with pictures.

Barry Bonds became a lifetime .300 hitter only after turning 40. Alas (for him) he didn't retire in time to remain one.

E. Cobham Brewer's 1898 Dictionary of Phrase & Fable explains Tiberius Claudius Nero's nickname in more detail than Suetonius, for the non-Latin speakers in his audience. "Biberius [Tiberius], drink-loving, Caldius Mero [Claudius Nero], by metathesis for calidus mero, hot with wine."

I wonder why Ankit guessed Lithuanian for the dog breed when Estonian and Latvian were still available?
I'm smart and I want respect.