How Did Mayim Bialik Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Mayim Bialik on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

1%
1%
2%
5%
6%
7%
10%
27%
25%
16%

Total votes: 88

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: How Did Mayim Bialik Do as Host?

Post by Rackme32 »

I gave her a 10, same as for Buzzy. If I could, though, I'd have given her an 11. Or more. She is my top choice, and by a LOT.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:22 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 am Pretty bad. Constant off screen giggling was weird & she is not attractive. Plus she has some big pharma ads running which adds to the overkill. She was okay on BBT but enough is enough.
Please tell me more about how the host gets to choose what ads run during the show on each and every station across the country.
While there are some local ads during Jeopardy, many of the ads definitely come packaged with the show, as evidenced by the fact that we are all seeing the same ones. So your first point is valid, Mayim presumably didn't choose to air these ads during Jeopardy! but the "each and ever station" part is not, as we're only talking about during one show.

I don't usually watch the commercials, as I watch on DVR, so maybe others can answer this. Were these Miyam ads airing during Jeopardy! before her hosting run? My suspicion would be it wasn't an accident that they were contracted to air during games she was hosting.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 am Pretty bad. Constant off screen giggling was weird & she is not attractive. Plus she has some big pharma ads running which adds to the overkill. She was okay on BBT but enough is enough.
I'll bet she's more attractive than you. Nonetheless, I have decided to let you keep your job.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I'd put her number three on my list, behind Ken and Buzzy. I didn't find her quirkiness and perkiness off-putting, and did enjoy her enthusiasm and obvious delight at the opportunity to guest host. I do agree with those who have theorized that a female host may be an option TPTB would like.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Personally I'd put her near the bottom of the list. Maybe above Katie Couric as Mayim had a better flow hosting the game.

I found it a bit irritating that she gave a light scolding to the contestants for not knowing a couple clues that she knew, then not knowing who Nell Gorscuh is. I also found it a bit odd how she reacted to Judaism-related moments (saying Ayn Rand's birth name, saying Mike's full name during FJ yesterday but not the other two contestants'). I thought she had a few too many self-inserts into the games.

She had a better energy than many of the hosts so far. And apparently she got through the games on time. Still she wouldn't be one of my picks for permanent host.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I have a pretty tight cluster of Jennings, Cohen, Bialik, then a large gap to Richards, Rodgers et al. Unlike some of the more experienced quiz/Jeopardy! folks, Bialik's insertions sometimes felt like they interrupted the flow without adding new information (frequently adding in a person's first name, for instance, when it was already pretty obvious, almost like she expects full names as answers). Still, she never inserted incorrect information/corrections as far as I saw (cough, cough, Rodgers!).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:12 pm Still, she never inserted incorrect information/corrections as far as I saw (cough, cough, Rodgers!).
When did Rodgers do that?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bluejaylink wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:00 pm then not knowing who Nell Gorscuh is.
Who? ;)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She didn’t seem to realize who Olivia deHavilland was either. Plus she insulted one of the older contestants with a comment about how surprising it was that she’d know the answer. She was actually okay on some days but then the next couple of days there would be that odd giggle as she announced answers. Nerves, maybe.

Point taken about AT’s Colonial Penn ads. Also tacky.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:33 am I thought she did an excellent job. . . The only thing that was at all offputting was her reminding us repeatedly that she’s a PhD neuroscientist.
They may have advised her to do that since many viewers might only remember her dancing the Running Man in floppy hats back in the day:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I would rank her first. I gave her "only" a 9 because the asides seemed to be getting more frequent. Despite her solid pacing, I think those should be limited to one per game. They could, if limited, be fun in the campy sense of "fun with flags." As far as appearance, she seemed fine until the bubble-gum ensemble Friday. I commented on others' appearances (felt Buzzy was too cartoonish - and I have him ranked second now); it's not an attractiveness issue. Just professionalism. Alex was so ill, but he maintained his appearance and that must have been quite difficult in addition to everything else he had to endure. Women have a far greater range of attire they can select. If Buzzy came out with a bubble-gum pink jacket, pants and bow tie, I'd say the same thing.

I would react enthusiastically if she were named the permanent host. I'll probably skip the rest, other than Burton. I still maintain (given appearances) that he should wear the TNG visor when reading clues.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm
mahatma wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:12 pm Still, she never inserted incorrect information/corrections as far as I saw (cough, cough, Rodgers!).
When did Rodgers do that?
I'm sorry I don't recall the details. It was after a contestant had given a name for an answer. He repeated the answer with a different pronunciation as if he was correcting them, even though the contestant's pronunciation was correct.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Solid 8 for me. Maybe should have given her a 9. I probably would only rank Buzzy and Ken ahead of her - perhaps on even ground with Aaron. A bit above Anderson.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:18 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:00 pm then not knowing who Nell Gorscuh is.
Who? ;)
Haha I guess I'm one to talk.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Please tell me more about how the host gets to choose what ads run during the show on each and every station across the country.
While there are some local ads during Jeopardy, many of the ads definitely come packaged with the show, as evidenced by the fact that we are all seeing the same ones. So your first point is valid, Mayim presumably didn't choose to air these ads during Jeopardy! but the "each and ever station" part is not, as we're only talking about during one show.

I don't usually watch the commercials, as I watch on DVR, so maybe others can answer this. Were these Miyam ads airing during Jeopardy! before her hosting run? My suspicion would be it wasn't an accident that they were contracted to air during games she was hosting.
Commercial time is often sold months in advance, it's unlikely anyone knew who the host would be when the commercials were bought.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Commercial time is often sold months in advance, it's unlikely anyone knew who the host would be when the commercials were bought.
It was known publicly by January 6 that Miyam would be hosting, so while the dates may not have been announced until later, the show presumably knew when they had her penciled in, so I would say it's entirely possible these ads were scheduled knowing she'd be the host. We'll see if they continue next week...
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 pm

I don't remember seeing those commercial on J! before the last 2 weeks. The campaign started in April.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 47710.html
Golf

Post by Golf »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 am & she is not attractive.
I don’t do FB or Twitter, so how the hell did this post sneak into my feed?

After all, that’s why we all watch Jeopardy, for the hot babes. Perhaps we need a swimsuit week? Wear a bikini and receive an extra clue to the FJ answer. And don’t forget how cold it is in studio, this could draw in all sorts of new demographics.

I don’t give a damn about gender or attractiveness or previous work or commercials, pick the best person for the job.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 am & she is not attractive.
I don’t do FB or Twitter, so how the hell did this post sneak into my feed?

After all, that’s why we all watch Jeopardy, for the hot babes. Perhaps we need a swimsuit week? Wear a bikini and receive an extra clue to the FJ answer. And don’t forget how cold it is in studio, this could draw in all sorts of new demographics.

I don’t give a damn about gender or attractiveness or previous work or commercials, pick the best person for the job.
Hear, hear.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 pm I don’t give a damn about ... commercials, pick the best person for the job.
I "give a damn" a little about commercials. As Richards said, a top criteria for the job is credibility. If someone touts a Ph.D. only to hawk snake oil, that's a credibility hit.

Performance-wise Mayim was in the top 3, I thought. Maybe not top 1.