How Did Mayim Bialik Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Mayim Bialik on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

1%
1%
2%
5%
6%
7%
10%
27%
25%
16%

Total votes: 88

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: How Did Mayim Bialik Do as Host?

Post by nserven »

She’s been my favorite so far. Her enunciations are clear. I like that she, like Alex, presents as someone who has a command of the material in front of her. (Not recognizing Gorsuch’s name was one exception, but that might have had to do with the contestant’s handwriting.) Her interjections haven’t been fluid, but that strikes me as the kind of a thing a person will learn to self-edit the more they do the job.

And, like others have said, I think she has a great shot of providing a bridge to a new generation of younger viewers (as do Ken & Buzzy, possibly Aaron), and at a time when there’s been a conscientious effort to encourage girls to pursue careers in STEAM fields, she seems like she’d be a natural and eager role model and champion of learning.

And we’ve both been to a Violent Femmes show!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Mayim was an absolute delight! Every day I found myself looking forward to watching her host. Truly a breath of fresh air. Her joyful attitude was infectious, and her enunciation was excellent. Her handling of the contestant interviews improved with every game, especially where there were opportunities to improvise.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:28 pm
Performance-wise Mayim was in the top 3, I thought. Maybe not top 1.
I agree - I still put Buzzy at the top, followed closely by Mayim and Ken...but I could live with Aaron.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

gamawire wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:13 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:28 pm
Performance-wise Mayim was in the top 3, I thought. Maybe not top 1.
I agree - I still put Buzzy at the top, followed closely by Mayim and Ken...but I could live with Aaron.
Me too - Ken and Mayim are so close for different reasons I can't separate them, and Buzzy was about as close to perfection as you could get. I have a middle grouping (Rodgers, Cooper, Couric, more or less in that order), and then the bottom of the barrel are Richards, Whittaker and Oz. If I left anyone out, they must have been ultra-forgettable!
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Don't know about the future--that's anybody's guess--but she's been my favorite host so far! She just feels so perfect for the role. Some others have been good, but I'm feeling something with Mayim's hosting.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

She did okay, but her energy level was a bit much and I thought that she went too far with the additional comments after clues. But I think that she has a good voice for reading clues and I liked her enunciation. I think that her flaws are correctable, so I rank her 4th behind Buzzy, Anderson Cooper, and Aaron Rodgers. They are the four so far who I would support getting the job full time.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

She is the best reader of the clues that we've had so far in this UTGH (Ultimate Tournament of Guest Hosts). However I give Ken a higher grade for his overall savviness.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:33 pm She is the best reader of the clues that we've had so far in this UTGH (Ultimate Tournament of Guest Hosts).
Recency bias? She was halting as compared to, say, Anderson Cooper. Don't get me wrong--I think she did well. But no way was Mayim the best reader.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Mayim is one of my favorites, in a dead heat with Buzzy. None of the others are anywhere close in my rankings.

I keep going back to my belief that J! is first a TV show, and second a game. The host needs to present well on camera, and be comfortable talking to the camera. On that measure, those with significant experience stand out very clearly. The only exception to that is Buzzy. I don’t know where he got his stage presence, but he has it in spades.

(The exception in the other direction is Bill Whitaker, who - along with Mike Richards and Aaron Rogers - has the TV presence of a wet dishrag.)
--Peter