FJs for the 6/7/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/7/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

In 2013 the Victoria & Albert Museum acquired her archives, including letters from Laurence Olivier & Tennessee Williams
45%
A 1951 Time article said, "Since the war," this 2-word term for a period of time "has been written into union contracts"
35%
In 2002 Macon, Georgia, where he grew up, unveiled a statue of this man who sits overlooking the water, a nod to his posthumous No. 1 hit
90%
The 1st justice directly succeeded by his former clerk was Rehnquist by Roberts; the 2nd time was this other alliterative pair
35%
From the Latin for "key", this word for a type of isolated country applies to Vatican City, which has keys on its flag  
73%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
TOP BRITISH BABY NAMES $1000: This boy's name popular in Wales belonged to Welsh national hero Glendower
28%
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY $1200 box DD: A common measure of walking was coined when a Japanese company called its pedometer the Manpo-kei, or this many steps "meter"
31%
BOOK-BORNE WORDS & PHRASES $1600: The first use of "ingenue" in English described this not-quite-ingenue in Thackeray's "Vanity Fair"
41%
Elizabeth Taylor was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
11%
CLUES FROM THE FIRST CROSSWORD PUZZLE $200: A Boy (3 letters) - I was correct with "lad".
83%
CLUES FROM THE FIRST CROSSWORD PUZZLE $200: A Boy (3 letters) - I was incorrect with a different 3-letter word.
4%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with something about lunch.
35%
PEOPLE FROM THAT STATE $1600 box Daily Double: 2 of the 3 states whose final "S" becomes an "N" to describe their residents - I had Texas.
34%
PEOPLE FROM THAT STATE $1600 box Daily Double: 2 of the 3 states whose final "S" becomes an "N" to describe their residents - I had Kansas.
61%
PEOPLE FROM THAT STATE $1600 box Daily Double: 2 of the 3 states whose final "S" becomes an "N" to describe their residents - I had Arkansas.
54%
PEOPLE FROM THAT STATE $1600 box Daily Double: 2 of the 3 states whose final "S" becomes an "N" to describe their residents - I incorrectly had  Illinois.
13%
Ray Charles was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
3%
Iola Morton perished from a car bomb? I had no idea until the Thursday clue that mentioned it.
59%
Sonia Sotomayor was part of my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
18%
I had the letter "K" for the surnames of the Thursday FJ! clue and still missed it.
5%

Total votes: 80

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/7/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GOLDEN AGE ACTRESSES

6/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2013 the Victoria & Albert Museum acquired her archives, including letters from Laurence Olivier & Tennessee Williams

6/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK PHRASES

6/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1951 Time article said, "Since the war," this 2-word term for a period of time "has been written into union contracts"

6/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s SINGERS

6/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2002 Macon, Georgia, where he grew up, unveiled a statue of this man who sits overlooking the water, a nod to his posthumous No. 1 hit

6/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SUPREME COURT

6/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1st justice directly succeeded by his former clerk was Rehnquist by Roberts; the 2nd time was this other alliterative pair

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY WORDS

6/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Latin for "key", this word for a type of isolated country applies to Vatican City, which has keys on its flag

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Vivien Leigh
coffee break
Otis Redding
(Anthony) Kennedy & (Brett) Kavanaugh
an enclave
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 1-1-1-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have triple stumpers sandwiching a requested missed Daily Double.

TOP BRITISH BABY NAMES $1000: This boy's name popular in Wales belonged to Welsh national hero Glendower

SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY $1200 box DD: A common measure of walking was coined when a Japanese company called its pedometer the Manpo-kei, or this many steps "meter"

BOOK-BORNE WORDS & PHRASES $1600: The first use of "ingenue" in English described this not-quite-ingenue in Thackeray's "Vanity Fair"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Owen
Becky Sharp

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/7/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I knew 10,000 steps from talk show people mentioning the number and in association with press about Fitbits.

Had lad
TX and KS
Iola’s demise was news to me.

For the poll I did not want to get into Learned League things, but I got the Roman à clef question correct prior to getting the FJ! clue right. I very likely would have solved the FJ! correctly anyway, but it didn’t hurt playing the LL Q prior to J!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :| :mrgreen:

Mon - only as far as Blanche DuBois
Tue - Lunch Break

Llwellyn (doesn't even crack the top 100)
...wait, 10,000 was a DD? I treated that as a regular clue I think

Texas and... nada

Well, I had no idea Iola Morton perished. Heck, I had no idea who that was in the first place
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Lunch hour on Tues.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I didn't know Vivien Leigh was married to Olivier. Worse, I thought she was American. I also thought she was Psycho's Janet Leigh's mother. She was 14 when Janet Leigh was born.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm Well, I had no idea Iola Morton perished. Heck, I had no idea who that was in the first place
Ditto, so I didn't check the box. I remember the Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson TV adaption from the '70s, but that's as far as my Hardy Boys knowledge extends.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :|
Had Hardy Boys books in the '70s. Iola's death was news.
Had Sotomayor for the alliteration.
KS & AR.
Started the kerfuffle by having son for lad
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Had lad
No answer for the S N clue
A very long time since I read the Hardy Boys, way before Iola died
Got as far as Kavanaugh, but was trying to think of a right wing justice he replaced and Kennedy never came to mind.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Hour" sounded more like a time period. The number 10,000 is not especially significant in the culture I was raised in.

Sotomayor<--Souter was my first thought, but I thought some more.

It was annoying to see "key" come up in FJ, but I doubt I'd have defended Roman à clef with more than a 1 anyway.

I copy/pasted Mark's accent grave in the paragraph just above.

I never knew Iola, but that makes her death all the more upsetting.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Sotomayor replaced Souter, and that was my guess (although I didn't know that fact for sure). If I had thought of Kavanaugh, I would have come up with Kennedy and known it was right.

Less than 24 hours after the Owen clue aired (locally), my nephew Owen was born. I got it right thanks to an Owain Glyndwr FJ in Nick Yozamp's College Championship in 2010.

I've known for a long time that "man" is Japanese for 10,000. (It's a borrowing from the Chinese, apparently.)

Arkansas and Kansas for me; I figured out Texas as well within solving time. No problem getting "lad."
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Lunch hour Tuesday.
Lucky week otherwise - Vivien Leigh was a desperation guess, I'm not even sure where I picked up "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" = Otis Redding, couldn't name Sotomayor's predecessor leaving me with Kennedy / Kavanaugh as the only answer I had. I'll take going 3/4 on those clues.

"What are Texas and... Arkansas? (Kansas is the third.)" (I'm from Texas. That one was easy.)

I'd read about Iola before.

Lad didn't some to mind. I forget what I guessed.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :(

Thursday came down to Calia-Kavanaugh or Scalia-Skavanaugh and I picked the wrong one... ;)
On Fri I should have been able to get from clef to (en)clave...
Owen Glendower is in Henry IV, Pt. 1.
I muffed the states-ending-in-s clue...
I'm almost inspired to go back and find out how that happened to poor Iola... :cry:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I've taken the liberty of posting that "first crossword puzzle". In the words of Rufus, they do get better.

first.jpg
first.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

Worst week in ages. I blame Mayim. :twisted:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
Vivien Leigh, coffee break, Otis Redding all came pretty quickly. Had some second-guessing with Kavanaugh/Kennedy when I started wondering if Kavanaugh actually started with a C. Then got sidetracked into wondering if it mattered for alliteration.

Went with "cloister" out of desperation on Friday. Could have landed on enclave if I'd simply remembered that the keys gave the clavichord its name.

Worked my way through the Henriad on Britbox a few weeks ago, so Owen Glendower was semi-fresh. Too bad Iola Martin didn't appear in any of the plays. At least then I would have heard of the name.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Those are some rough get rates, but about what I expected.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Sotomayor and Souter on Thursday.

Had lad and all three s-to-n states.
I would prefer not to.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Where’s the box for: I started humming the song before the clue reading finished, but couldn’t come up with the name to save my life.
--Peter