Monday, June 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, June 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mjhunt »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:40 pm
morbeedo wrote: Katie did it again! She's got the Final wagering down...
A small wager worked out for her tonight because she got it wrong but there was not much reason to hold back over $8000.

Caitlin should have bet exactly 9300, not a dollar more.
I question that. That would make sense pre-tiebreaker. But, I think that, as I and others have said before, it would be psychologically difficult to risk losing to the player behind you, even if you're right.

After all, that's why people generally wager to cover rather than small in hopes of a triple stumper, even if they are less than confident with the FJ category, right?

Though, what could be said about Caitlin's wagering is that if she had bet $6,901 or more on the DD, she would have had a crush, which would have been enough to win today.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Well, unless she peaked in Game 1, Savannah is going to jump to the top of the lady contenders for the gig in my opinion. Polished, friendly demeanor. She kept the game moving. It is hard to put it into words, but she has a presence about her that makes you feel comfortable. This coming from someone who knows who she is and what she does but never really paid much attention to her.
I have noticed that the guest hosts SEEM to clear boards more frequently than Alex? That isn’t a knock on Alex. Heck, I may even be wrong. Or it is possible that Michael Richards is trying to make it a point to get through all the material.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:29 pm Nice job by SG. What a relief after last week! I’ve never watched her before but she’s very good here.
In other words, you find her attractive.
Leander

Post by Leander »

As a regular watcher of the Today show, I was pleasantly surprised by Savannah’s hosting yesterday. IMO she comes across less polished on her daytime gig, but live TV is more difficult than hosting a game show that you have time to prepare for, and where you can reshoot things that go wrong.

However, I sincerely doubt she is angling for a permanent host job.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

(remembers having had sensed unobjective language in a certain clue for what I had believed to had been the subject (or "Game") of this discussion (specifically one involving text of, "KILLJOYS"))
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was beaten to the Ruby Yacht.

Savannah Guthrie's already tall. A few years ago, she was on a flight I was on. I thought it was an impressive debut.

Count me as another who didn't like the wording of the FJ clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:53 pm How did Plymouth Rock become a symbol of freedom after it split in two?
The smaller part declared its independence from the bigger part. Or maybe vice-versa. Who's to say, really?

With regards to Guthrie, I'm not sure how many more overenthusiastic "You got it!"s I can take, but I feel like criticism of the hosting these next two weeks is pointless, since she is among those not auditioning for the job.

davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:53 pm How did Plymouth Rock become a symbol of freedom after it split in two?
The smaller part declared its independence from the bigger part. Or maybe vice-versa. Who's to say, really?
There were those who feared and those who hoped that the break in the rock portended an irreversible rupture between England and the American colonies,” writes [John] McPhee. Actually, the upper half was transported to the town square where it was used to rile up New Englanders to want to gain independence from the Mother Country.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... ck-639690/
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm Savannah looks strong right outta the gate!

+1 Laissez-Faire, felt great about it until the reveal

LT: vodka, gin, aircraft carrier, 2nd base, Beau Brummell, masks, Rashomon (DD), Khayyam, Analects, International Criminal Court, Hammarskjold

XX Lamentations (for Ecclesiastes) - weep, mourn, etc. I cry foul!

TIL Anchors Away ends in -GH

Katie did it again! She's got the Final wagering down but she doesn't hunt the Daily Doubles. I expected a swift category change after the Asian Lit DD, but no

NHO Leyden Jar
Had pretty much the same thing you had. would have submitted Laissez-Faire too.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm No one knew the writer of the Rubáiyát? I am appalled! :)
I know him as the owner of a corundum pleasure boat...he wrote poetry too?!
Spoiler
RubyYacht.jpg
Very accomplished fellow:
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

When I saw on the DVR who was hosting last night I was not happy, I believe my words were, Oh, No! Two weeks? I dislike the crew on the Today show, I've not watched it in years. Sometimes I will see a promo for someone special to be on and I will try to watch, nope, too difficult. She is also a terrible interviewer. I believe the term softball was invented to describe her style. The show seems to be contending with Good Morning America as to which show can deliver the least amount of relevant news. I do not care what degrees they hold or their job titles, they try too hard for the happy talk. Can't do happy talk that early.

I was pleasantly surprised with her hosting. She was more professional than at her day job.

I had Monroe Doctrine immediately. DH said Manifest Destiny (wild guess from him) and I explained why it wouldn't work.

I'm surprised at many of the clues they missed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am Savannah Guthrie's already tall. A few years ago, she was on a flight I was on. I thought it was an impressive debut.
What was she debuting as, the pilot? :)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

reddpen wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pmETA--Apparently India is the only right answer to Asian Literature & Drama $800, as Tagore wrote only the words/not the music to Bangladesh's national anthem. Still, that seems pretty deep for a second row clue. I'm curious how teapot37 fared with it.
Is teapot37 an anthem expert? Thought another boardie claims those as his purview.
Don't know, but he seems to know enough for most practical purposes.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pmETA--Apparently India is the only right answer to Asian Literature & Drama $800, as Tagore wrote only the words/not the music to Bangladesh's national anthem. Still, that seems pretty deep for a second row clue. I'm curious how teapot37 fared with it.
Is teapot37 an anthem expert? Thought another boardie claims those as his purview.
So we haven't had a DH Kendall sighting for a while? Hope things are well north of the border.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 pm
So we haven't had a DH Kendall sighting for a while? Hope things are well north of the border.
He's won two in a row on LL to indicate he's probably been near a phone or computer this week?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 pm
He has just chosen not to participate here of late.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Once again a thing that I know only the name of and nothing more. "Monroe Doctrine" is in my brain, but I don't have a meaning attached to it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni