Tuesday, June 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Newhausen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:59 am I was completely lost on that Final. None of those locations meant anything to me and I couldn't find anything to pin it on anyone, or even any time. I ended up on Marilyn Monroe, and I'm still not sure if I was really close to the correct answer or really, really far away.
Her second husband was Joe DiMaggio. Don’t think he spent much time in Greece.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:12 am
Newhausen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:59 am I was completely lost on that Final. None of those locations meant anything to me and I couldn't find anything to pin it on anyone, or even any time. I ended up on Marilyn Monroe, and I'm still not sure if I was really close to the correct answer or really, really far away.
Her second husband was Joe DiMaggio. Don’t think he spent much time in Greece.
Nah, Joltin' Joe spent most of his time "greecin'" the skids to the showers (or retirement) for opposing pitchers.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Not the strongest game of all time, but an easy FJ for anyone leading to clinch it and a good payday. Keyword: Greece.

I'm enjoying Savannah so far.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Grace Kelly. Don't everybody tell me how wrong that is at once :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:30 pm
mahatma wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:44 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:52 pm I wonder if they would have taken "Jackie O"?
It's a better answer than 'Jackie Kennedy'.
As far as correctness goes, it's an identical answer (just like Jackie Bouvier).
Agreed. She went by all three at times over the course of her lifetime, so they're all fine.
hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hscer »

I got to Jackie but started with Grace Kelly for some reason
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

A dullish game but I'm glad Katie won more money today

A whopping total of $5k was wagered on all 3 daily Doubles

Quan started and ended DJ with $3600

I need to see video of Katie's botched pitch. I'd die if I were ever asked to do that!
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:54 pm A whopping total of $5k was wagered on all 3 daily Doubles
True, but I can't say I hate a $1,000 wager when you're only trailing by $200 that late in the round. You're still one $1600/$2000 clue away from the lead if you miss, but if you get it, you're likely to hold the lead into Final as long as you get even one of the 3 remaining big clues.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:27 pm
Cue the Twilight Zone music ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Not even a guess. None of the words in the clue pointed me anywhere. Second day in a row where I have a name stored in my head, but literally zero facts to go along with it (other than "married to JFK", which is of exactly zero help here).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:14 pm but literally zero facts to go along with it (other than "married to JFK", which is of exactly zero help here).
So, not literally zero.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

$19,201 is among the top ten most common winning scores in the doubled era, and the only one of those ten under $20,000 (which is the most common by far).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So I'm wondering where the writers got "overstory" from...
( Just below the overstory, this area of a tropical forest is home to the spider monkey & the sloth )

I was watching WWTBAM today while waiting on my tire installation and they had a question about the uppermost layer of a forest:
Canopy, Emergent, Forest Floor, Understory
Spoiler
Emergent
THAT I can find. Overstory, not so much and when I do it's often a synonym for canopy...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm So I'm wondering where the writers got "overstory" from...
( Just below the overstory, this area of a tropical forest is home to the spider monkey & the sloth )

I was watching WWTBAM today while waiting on my tire installation and they had a question about the uppermost layer of a forest:
Spoiler
Emergent
THAT I can find. Overstory, not so much and when I do it's often a synonym for canopy...
Here's a site that makes a distinction-
https://rainforests.mongabay.com/0403.htm
I imagine use of the word has increased since Richard Powers named his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about trees.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm So I'm wondering where the writers got "overstory" from...
I imagine use of the word has increased since Richard Powers named his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about trees.
Baader-Meinhof in action. Saw this on a recommended reading list yesterday and here it is again. I want to learn more about trees so I'll probably read this. If it gives a matching definition of overstory then I'll report back here in about a year. Richard Powers is going to stick in my memory because apparently I'm immature and I noticed that with his name he could have been a character in Boogie Nights.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Spoiler
Emergent
Here's a site that makes a distinction-
https://rainforests.mongabay.com/0403.htm
Well, there it's treated as a synonym for the emergent layer (or, 'above the surrounding canopy' at least) so at least it seems more fluid a word.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:00 pm
Baader-Meinhof in action. Saw this on a recommended reading list yesterday and here it is again. I want to learn more about trees so I'll probably read this. If it gives a matching definition of overstory then I'll report back here in about a year. Richard Powers is going to stick in my memory because apparently I'm immature and I noticed that with his name he could have been a character in Boogie Nights.
It's a good book (soon to be a Netflix series, I read), but judging from a quick search on my Kindle, Powers never uses the word in his text.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Face the Performer $1000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni