Wednesday, June 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A character who was going to be called Lunar Larry became him, inspired by the name of a real person

Katie Sekelsky: 16600-5801=10799
Evan Williams: 4800+4800=9600
Sarah Reza: 11200+1601=12801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Buzz Lightyear (Katie – Osmosis Jones)

Daily Doubles
Evan: 400+1000
Katie: 8800+3000
Evan: 5200-4000

Coryats
Katie: 14800
Evan: 8400
Sarah: 11200

Combined: 34,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Katie: 5200
Evan: 4000
Sarah: 4000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's just one of those days when it's not easy to see the whole show.

Viewers will be happy that Evan found DD1 early and Savannah let him know (reminded him) that he could bet (and he did) up to 1000.

The diary guy for the 1666 fire had TS written all over it and I expected the stumper there. I learned the guy's name many decades ago when Marcia Brady was looking for her lost diary and the store clerk got off track in citing the author.

The FJ! category had me precall just for the fun of doing it, Butch Cassidy, Star Wars and Casablanca. Perhaps I would have been better off not doing it as the clue stumped me.

I wasted a lot of time trying to think of a character with "Moon" in the name and got nowhere. All I had to do was brainstorm real names of the right occupation and the solve would have been a snap. I instantly knew Evan was correct when I saw his response. What I ended up writing was Luke Skywalker, inspired by my precall list, just to have something on the paper.

I've seen the right movies only in the theater and have never viewed them at home where perhaps a DVD/Blu Ray extra feature would have helped? Don't know.

Earlier this week I posted about wanting another miss to help me not regret missing the Monday clue. I got my wish.

Nice by Evan and Sarah to get the double solve and too bad for Katie that she could not cash in from her leading position when she appropriately bet to cover Sarah by a buck. It would have been very surprising if Katie had bet low and managed to prevail above Sarah's winning total.

Who is Osmosis Jones? Savannah did not know and I had to look it up to recall it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis_Jones

I'll do what I can with the archiving and finish up later this afternoon.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's almost comical at this point. I was trying to get the rest of J! out of the Brownsville station and now news has broken in for Gov. Abbott's border update.

Next up Birmingham at 1:30. Do I dare ask how the weather is there? That is the most common problem with airings out of AL.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm It's almost comical at this point. I was trying to get the rest of J! out of the Brownsville station and now news has broken in for Gov. Abbott's border update.

Next up Birmingham at 1:30. Do I dare ask how the weather is there? That is the most common problem with airings out of AL.
From the Sony Pictures Studios, This... Is.... (booop) a 60-minute nationwide test of the Emergency Broadcast System
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf

Post by Golf »

Sarah very possibly made the FJ wager that shows the absolute worst winning chances. So of course she wins.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

There is no Catholic sacrament of confession. Confession is part of the Sacrament of Penance. Didn't end up mattering, but she should have been negged for that one.

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Savannah is quite good. A bit stilted at times, but other than that she has a good presence.

Not even a WAG on FJ! I literally never would have considered animated movies.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:52 pm Sarah very possibly made the FJ wager that shows the absolute worst winning chances. So of course she wins.
At least it was on a clue involving Buzz Aldrin, who made a questionable FJ wager himself when he appeared on the show in 1994.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: "DD" in the Middle, Fawkes & Friends, Twins & Trips
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Pepys, Nicaragua DD, Austria (4800)
FJ: Who is Buzz Lightyear? :mrgreen: instaget
Yes, Savannah specified Evan could bet 1K on a DD when he had only 400. 8-)
Couldn't pull Mutts & Egypt. Guessed magnanimous for largesse. :|
Easier boards making for less trash pickup.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Had Katie risked it all on DD2 she would have been in the old lock-tie scenario going into FJ. However, based on her DD wagers, I seriously doubt she would have wagered $0 in FJ to have the chance of winning the tie breaker question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:52 pm Sarah very possibly made the FJ wager that shows the absolute worst winning chances. So of course she wins.
She tried to stay ahead of Evan but added the dollar instead of subtracting. But even without the math error, she is below the leader’s MSBIW on a miss.

I might have bet zero from the lead as I didn’t feel good about the category. That would have been the winning move as I was lost on FJ. I figured out the movie right at the end but not enough time to remember the character.

Good stories today.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm The diary guy for the 1666 fire had TS written all over it and I expected the stumper there. I learned the guy's name many decades ago when Marcia Brady was looking for her lost diary and the store clerk got off track in citing the author.
No, no, no. 17th c. diary is Pavlov for Pepys, and I was shocked at the stand-and-stare. The Defoe neg did set up Katie nicely for a moment on that DD reveal.

FJ - Best I could pull was Wall-E at 29.5 seconds. Needed 5 minutes to solve this one. Boo hiss

Nicaragua was a gimme on that DD. My man blurted out Panama with think time to spare.

TIL - Eurythmics is an actual thing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Evan Williams didn't get the bourbon question. Boo, hiss.

Also, not usually one to go, "Hey, that looks like..." but Evan might as well have the last name Potter...(or Radcliffe). :lol:

Got stuck on variants of 'moon' on FJ. Not a fan of those where if you get on the wrong track you're out of luck...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote: Sarah very possibly made the FJ wager that shows the absolute worst winning chances. So of course she wins.
She tried to stay ahead of Evan but added the dollar instead of subtracting. But even without the math error, she is below the leader’s MSBIW on a miss.

I might have bet zero from the lead as I didn’t feel good about the category. That would have been the winning move as I was lost on FJ.
I probably would have wagered 399 in Sarah's place, in spite of a slightly favorable category. It would have been the winning move for me also, as I couldn't come up with anything for the clue.

My best guess was that they where looking for a character in Spaceballs, but I couldn't name a single one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm It would have been very surprising if Katie had bet low and managed to prevail above Sarah's winning total.
It would have been funny if Katie had anticipated Sarah wagering to keep Evan locked out, therefore a maximum score of $12,799, and left herself $12,801, only to find herself tied with Sarah because the latter went a buck the wrong way from $1,600.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 4/4 on big clues. I knew Buzz Lightyear's name was based on Buzz Aldrin a long time ago. I've probably mixed them up before.

Katie was 1/1 on FJ clues when she was not wearing a bolo tie. 0/3 on FJ clues when she was wearing a bolo tie.

I finally remembered the diary guy but I've been pronouncing his name wrong. I said whiskey instead of bourbon but I'll count it. The categories in DJ today are not my strong points.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are James I (Son of Mary Queen of Scots), Smithson, Anais Nin, Chang & Eng, and Cat's In The Cradle. I also missed James I when he was the response for FJ 40 days ago.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm What I ended up writing was Luke Skywalker, inspired by my precall list, just to have something on the paper.
I would watch a remake of Star Wars with Lunar Larry. "That's no moon" - "It's just Larry"
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.