Wednesday, June 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm I said whiskey instead of bourbon but I'll count it.
I'd BMS it, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:02 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm I said whiskey instead of bourbon but I'll count it.
I'd BMS it, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise
I'm fairly confident it would garner a BMS.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:52 pm Sarah very possibly made the FJ wager that shows the absolute worst winning chances. So of course she wins.
Well, really it seems that her wager and an all-in bet would have had roughly the same chance of winning.

OK, others have mentioned theoretical possibilities. And, I suppose that betting $1,599 could have theoretically given her a chance to win a tiebreaker if Katie had loved the category and bet $6,999 to try to maximize her winnings.

But, Katie showed no propensity towards that. So, the only advantage the $1,599 bet would be guaranteeing second place, but that difference is only $1,000.

So, really, betting everything would have much more sense for Sarah than what she bet.

Yes, $400 or less would have maximized her chances of winning, but if she wasn't willing to do that, everything would have at least won her much more money.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm with TPH on this - they should not have used characters from animated films, or should have tried a different category name. End of whine.

Savannah is doing fine as a placeholder. Because of earlier mentions on this board, I can't unhear the occasional "you got its". I like the little bit of mansplaining, which confirms what I think I know, or tells me something I didn't know. I assume these embellishments are laid out by the writers, and she ad libs their inclusion quite well without breaking the game flow.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:31 pm There is no Catholic sacrament of confession.

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SECOND EDITION
ARTICLE 4...
THE SACRAMENT OF PENANCE AND RECONCILIATION
1422 "Those who approach the sacrament of Penance obtain pardon from God's mercy for the offense committed against him, and are, at the same time, reconciled with the Church which they have wounded by their sins and which by charity, by example, and by prayer labors for their conversion."4
I. WHAT IS THIS SACRAMENT CALLED?
1423 It is called the sacrament of conversion because it makes sacramentally present Jesus' call to conversion, the first step in returning to the Father5 from whom one has strayed by sin.
It is called the sacrament of Penance, since it consecrates the Christian sinner's personal and ecclesial steps of conversion, penance, and satisfaction.
1424 It is called the sacrament of confession, since the disclosure or confession of sins to a priest is an essential element of this sacrament. In a profound sense it is also a "confession" - acknowledgment and praise - of the holiness of God and of his mercy toward sinful man.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm
https://attleborocatholics.org/sacramen ... confession
https://www.cathdal.org/confession
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/7-ways- ... hBKEiwAMk-

I might have a better chance at this FJ if animated film had been specified. But probably not... :?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm It's almost comical at this point. I was trying to get the rest of J! out of the Brownsville station and now news has broken in for Gov. Abbott's border update.

Next up Birmingham at 1:30. Do I dare ask how the weather is there? That is the most common problem with airings out of AL.
weird you had issues watching the episode as i got jeopardy in full today.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I thought we may finally add another 4-day champion in the book, but the drought continues. This will come to an end in due time, but the TOC field for whenever they have another isn’t filling up all that quickly…
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For FJ I spent the entire time thinking it must have something to do with Neil Armstrong and never even considered Buzz Aldrin. Oops...
Never having seen any of the Toy Story movies certainly didn't help my chances.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Wow, I was just thinking about Luther Vandross' "Dance with my Father" just the other day. Didn't even hear it on the radio or anything, just popped in my head. Funny how these things work.

I'm surprised by the struggles the board seems to have had with FJ. Maybe having a 2 year old helped make this a no-doubter for me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:37 am For FJ I spent the entire time thinking it must have something to do with Neil Armstrong and never even considered Buzz Aldrin. Oops...
Unless you happened to know the fact, I think the route to the solution is narrow and singular. "Lunar" -> Moon -> Moon landing astronauts -> "Buzz" Aldrin -> Buzz Lightyear. Trying to work at it backwards--thinking of actual persons associated with the Moon, including pioneering astronomers of centuries past--is an endlessly bifurcating labyrinth. Ignoring the specific clue of "Lunar" and thinking of all astronauts generally is a pit of peril. Not hitting on the right Moon landing astronaut right away is an epic time sink. Trying to work through a list of movies--all movies--that might have had a character named Lunar Larry is how you end up with any of a million wrong answers like "Osmosis Jones". There are myriad ways to get this clue wrong but, I think, only one path to getting it right. Did anyone solve by a different path?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:39 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:37 am For FJ I spent the entire time thinking it must have something to do with Neil Armstrong and never even considered Buzz Aldrin. Oops...
Unless you happened to know the fact, I think the route to the solution is narrow and singular. "Lunar" -> Moon -> Moon landing astronauts -> "Buzz" Aldrin -> Buzz Lightyear. Trying to work at it backwards--thinking of actual persons associated with the Moon, including pioneering astronomers of centuries past--is an endlessly bifurcating labyrinth. Ignoring the specific clue of "Lunar" and thinking of all astronauts generally is a pit of peril. Not hitting on the right Moon landing astronaut right away is an epic time sink. Trying to work through a list of movies--all movies--that might have had a character named Lunar Larry is how you end up with any of a million wrong answers like "Osmosis Jones". There are myriad ways to get this clue wrong but, I think, only one path to getting it right. Did anyone solve by a different path?
I think a better question is 'did anyone solve it by this path?'. I think it is almost pure YEKIOYD, and I might have heard this factoid in the past but didn't process it because I've never seen the movies and my lifelong learning quest stops short of the Karda-(spits up in mouth) or movie minutiae. It's not like Buzz couldn't have been chosen at random. We'll see how it polls, but IMHO the category is the biggest problem with the clue. It should have been 'Animated characters' or something.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:42 pm I'm with TPH on this - they should not have used characters from animated films, or should have tried a different category name. End of whine.

Savannah is doing fine as a placeholder. Because of earlier mentions on this board, I can't unhear the occasional "you got its". I like the little bit of mansplaining, which confirms what I think I know, or tells me something I didn't know. I assume these embellishments are laid out by the writers, and she ad libs their inclusion quite well without breaking the game flow.
She has said she's not interested in the full time position, which disappoints me somewhat; I'd like to see her at least considered. She keeps the game moving which is the biggest thing I ask for.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:47 pm I think a better question is 'did anyone solve it by this path?'.
That's how I solved it. I know a lot of Toy Story trivia, but I'd never heard "Lunar Larry" before. I knew that in his original iteration Woody was a jerk (or more of a jerk than he is in the final film).

It looks like the "Lunar Larry" trivia has only been out there about a year.

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:50 pm Not even a WAG on FJ! I literally never would have considered animated movies.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:42 pm I'm with TPH on this - they should not have used characters from animated films, or should have tried a different category name. End of whine.
That was what sidetracked me. If it had been "cartoon character" or "animated movie" I might have had a chance. As it was, I got locked in with Moonlight Graham and couldn't break out of the rut, even though I was certain it was incorrect. Props to the players who got it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

I loved Evan's story of having been "born during an episode of Jeopardy!". It made me wonder, who was the first contestant in regular play who was born during the Trebek era.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 pm I loved Evan's story of having been "born during an episode of Jeopardy!". It made me wonder, who was the first contestant in regular play who was born during the Trebek era.
And your question makes me wonder whether the inaugural Kids Week (aka Back to School Week) contestants at the start of season 16 in 1999 were the first ones ever born while Alex was host, or if someone in the preceding two Teen Tournaments was young enough to beat them to it. (The lower age limit of 13 means that all TTs before September 1997 are guaranteed to have had contestants born before Alex started hosting.) Season 14's TT (10/97) had one sophomore, two juniors, and 12 seniors, so that's probably a no; season 15's (2/99) had two sophomores, four juniors and nine seniors, so I think it's a safe bet that the kids in September 1999 were the first.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm It's almost comical at this point. I was trying to get the rest of J! out of the Brownsville station
What a way to name check a band that nobody has thought of in 45 years.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm Brownsville station
What a way to name check a band that nobody has thought of in 45 years.
Nobody but Mike Judge, Tom Petty, and everybody who watched King of the Hill, anyway.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Could not get Mutts.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni