Friday, June 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1915 story by this European, a woman finds a corpse & says, "It’s gone and croaked--just lying there, dead as a doornail!"

Emily White: 10800+10700=21500 (2x = $50,100)
Trenton Woodley: 6800-3201=3599
Elaine Filadelfo: 16200-5401=10799

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Franz) Kafka (Trenton – Who is?) (Elaine – Agatha Christie)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 2600+2600
Trenton: 1800+1800
Emily: 13800-5000

Coryats
Emily: 14000
Trenton: 6600
Elaine: 16200

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 7400
Trenton: 3400
Elaine: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Serengeti gorge stumper brought me right back to 7th grade social studies when I first learned the name. It's been helpful many times over the years since when watching game shows.

DD3 was hiding with 3 clues remaining. Trenton picked $400 instead of the bottom two. Was Trenton purposely avoiding the DD since BIBLICAL ART can instill fear? Probably not. Emily ended up with the DD when she got control and lost 5 large. Even though it was a big loss on the wager it may have made Emily's final total larger than if Trenton found DD3 and Emily could have had his total doubled if he missed it.

It's a DD, so I took a guess off Russian and got lucky. I'll take it.

The FJ! clue had me write Dickens since Marley was also dead as a doornail. My problem was not knowing/recalling when Dickens died. Everything told me that no way he was still writing in 1915, so I kept thinking.

I was certain Doyle was still alive in 1915 so I added him for perhaps some Sherlock connection. Looking at two names I allowed the "doornail" line to persuade me on the crossout.

Even if I had known for sure Dickens (d. 1870) was out and bent the knee to "European" very likely meaning not British, there is still no way I solve the clue. Excellent get by Emily to overcome her trailing position and get the repeat after Elaine won the DJ! round.

Agatha Christie will be on the poll as I'm already seen her mentioned on posts in other places.

It made no difference in results, but Trenton did the sacred True Daily Double on DD2 of 1800+1800 and with no pointer from Savannah, left $200 on the table.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Savannah Week One is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7049

Cue up grumblings about NBC covering the U.S. Open this afternoon.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I took the hint of "European" meaning "not British", but the best I could come up with was Joseph Conrad. :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm Agatha Christie will be on the poll as I'm already seen her mentioned on posts in other places.
I'll be checking that box.
It made no difference in results, but Trenton did the sacred True Daily Double on DD2 of 1800+1800 and with no pointer from Savannah, left $200 on the table.
I'm sure they go over it beforehand, but the guest hosts really need to be mentioning that.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This Final seemed awfully YEKIOYD. Other than just knowing that specific line from "The Metamorphosis", the only way it seems to navigate this one is "name an early 20th C. European author from a country that was probably not the home nation of an author from the 6 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR NOVEL category". Good luck with that. I guessed Tolstoy, who passed just a bit before 1915.

I predict a <20% poll on this one over the weekend.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

1915 + "story" + European was enough to get me to the correct author, but I certainly wasn't confident. I agree that it was a weak clue.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I have a question for the judges: How badly am I allowed to butcher the word "oeuvre"?

I said something similar to oh-VUR, rather than OH-vruh. Thoughts?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:24 pm I said something similar to oh-VUR, rather than OH-vruh. Thoughts?
That'd be acceptable.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Spendy Wars, Georgias, Biblical Art
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: beancounter, Walmart, aspen, Damascus, Chagall DD (4200),
FJ: Who is Doyle? :( First thought was Stoker, but we already had a Dracula clue. No way was I getting Kafka. And there went the perfecto.
could not pull Whitey Bulger, Clammed on sharks. :|
Golf

Post by Golf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm This Final seemed awfully YEKIOYD. Other than just knowing that specific line from "The Metamorphosis", the only way it seems to navigate this one is "name an early 20th C. European author from a country that was probably not the home nation of an author from the 6 CHARACTERS IN SEARCH OF THEIR NOVEL category". Good luck with that. I guessed Tolstoy, who passed just a bit before 1915.

I predict a <20% poll on this one over the weekend.
In other words, name a non-English European author who was famous for death and macabre.

I agree it wasn’t a great clue, but the TOM was definitely there.

Oh, somebody please remind Trenton it’s OK to actually try to win the game in FJ. :roll:
Last edited by Golf on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I got Kafka for FJ but I wasn’t confident. Still, he was the best I could come up with. For the first time, I found Guthrie to be a bit too gushy tonight. A bit patronizing, even. And yes, it’s be nice if they’d remind the contestants how much they can wager.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Kafka was my immediate reaction, but something about the language sounded too vernacular for a foreign-language author. Of course, that's one of the wonders of translation. If I'd focused on the "it's" I might have stuck to my first thought; instead I went with Joyce (who was certainly a European by that time). Not that I remembered any such incident in "The Dead", but I thought it might be one of those artificial TOMs that they sometimes inject.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

I also thought of Dickens first because of "dead as a doornail," but rejected him because he's not European in J!speak and more important he didn't get close to the 20th C. I never realized that the story referred to was the author's most famous, but the time period and suggestion of the eerie and the macabre were enough.
The key to identifying the story is that the "woman" refers to the "corpse" as "it" - suggesting the dehumanization that's central to "Metamorphosis" and Kafka's work. Subtle but I call it a pretty smart clue.
I'm grateful that despite use of the vernacular the translator said the corpse was "lying there" not "laying there." A grammatical distinction that has been lost over the last couple of decades... :ugeek:
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Know the story but didn't come to mind.

Frog and woman didn't get me anywhere.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 pm I took the hint of "European" meaning "not British", but the best I could come up with was Joseph Conrad. :oops:
Not a terrible guess IMO; he branched out quite a bit genre-wise (i.e. Secret Agent).

You at least got further than I did; I was trying to think of "the name of the guy who wrote Steppenwolf" and did not get there in time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm Agatha Christie will be on the poll as I'm already seen her mentioned on posts in other places.
I'll be checking that box.
I'm sure they go over it beforehand, but the guest hosts really need to be mentioning that.
Do they? Does every game need the rules explained for viewers every time? NFL matches would -never- begin...

Verne...because I literally had nothing better. After the animated character one, I can't wait for the next FJ: "This author used consonants and vowels in their most famous work."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Good get by the champ. If you hadn't read Metamorphosis, like me, the the only TOM that I see was "it's" instead of "he's" or "she's." I said Joyce for a WAG.