Friday, June 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

By this point of the day I'm long over missing the FJ! clue. Until I'm relaxing with my printout of the (Sat. 6/19) NYT puzzle and watching the baseball game.

10A: "The Metamorphosis" protagonist (5)

Me: Some kind of expletive combination
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm This Final seemed awfully YEKIOYD.
The Metamorphosis was the first thing to come to me, even though I didn't know the story continued after Samsa's death.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 pm
I'm sure they go over it beforehand, but the guest hosts really need to be mentioning that.
Do they? Does every game need the rules explained for viewers every time? NFL matches would -never- begin...
Who's talking about the viewers? I'm talking about the host stating it to the person making the wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've read "The Metamorphosis," but I didn't recognize the line (assuming it was at the beginning of the work probably blocked my mind); however, Kafka was the only writer I could think of.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:49 pm
I'm sure they go over it beforehand, but the guest hosts really need to be mentioning that.
Do they? Does every game need the rules explained for viewers every time? NFL matches would -never- begin...
Who's talking about the viewers? I'm talking about the host stating it to the person making the wager.
People playing the game should know the game and any explanations during the show are for the benefit of the viewer, like explaining the infield fly rule...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:49 pm
Yeah I'm baffled by this continued insistence that the hosts have to tell the players (DURING THE GAME) how the game works. You watch the show, you take the online test, you audition for the show, you fly to California, you make your way to the studio, you're given a rundown of the rules on the day of taping...I feel that somewhere in there it's on you to learn the rules and if you don't know you can bet $2,000 instead of $1,800, well, I think you've made your own bed.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 2/4 on big clues. Blanked on Tbilisi for no good reason, usually don't miss capitals. Missed FJ. I could not think of anything in time and wrote down Shaw just to have something. I wrote down Kafka before the answer was revealed, completely by lucky mistake, but it was after time was up so it would have been wrong anyway. I thought the quote was from The Plague by Albert Camus, where it would fit very well, but I got my wires crossed on The Trial and The Stranger and wrote Kafka.

Very good story about the Franz Kafka International Airport:
Spoiler
Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Native Son, London (Tesco), Edith Head, oeuvre, and the Caucasus. I also want to get crepe, burlap, and lamé from the fabric category those should all be easy clues.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 am Yeah I'm baffled by this continued insistence that the hosts have to tell the players (DURING THE GAME) how the game works. You watch the show, you take the online test, you audition for the show, you fly to California, you make your way to the studio, you're given a rundown of the rules on the day of taping...I feel that somewhere in there it's on you to learn the rules and if you don't know you can bet $2,000 instead of $1,800, well, I think you've made your own bed.
I think for a lot of people, they want the host to do it because Alex usually did it. And I think Alex did it to just offer a friendly reminder to a very nervous player having to make a big decision in just a few seconds. I like it for that reason, it humanizes the game and makes it seem competitive but still friendly.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

mikebdoss wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:09 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 am Yeah I'm baffled by this continued insistence that the hosts have to tell the players (DURING THE GAME) how the game works. You watch the show, you take the online test, you audition for the show, you fly to California, you make your way to the studio, you're given a rundown of the rules on the day of taping...I feel that somewhere in there it's on you to learn the rules and if you don't know you can bet $2,000 instead of $1,800, well, I think you've made your own bed.
I think for a lot of people, they want the host to do it because Alex usually did it. And I think Alex did it to just offer a friendly reminder to a very nervous player having to make a big decision in just a few seconds. I like it for that reason, it humanizes the game and makes it seem competitive but still friendly.

Well stated.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

flemmingfan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:24 am
mikebdoss wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:09 am

Well stated.
Agreed.

Now if they could just help players with betting strategy in FJ!...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Played off the archive.

For FJ I picked up on the pronoun oddity but didn't know what to do with it. Use of the word "story" instead of "novel" led me away from authors better known for lengthier works. Best I could come up with was Chekov (who died in 1904). I don't think it was a bad clue and given a couple minutes I would probably have teased it out, but alas...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: DD maximums

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
As in common curtousy.
It could also be likened to NFL officials explaining the overtime possession/scoring rules to the team captains.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:57 pm
econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
As in common curtousy.
It could also be likened to NFL officials explaining the overtime possession/scoring rules to the team captains.
Daily Doubles are something that happen in every single game. It would be like an NFL official stopping the game after a team fails on 3rd down to explain that if they don't make it on 4th down, they will turn the ball over to the other team, so they might want to consider a field goal or a punt.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:58 pm
Category 13 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:57 pm
econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
As in common curtousy.
Daily Doubles are something that happen in every single game. It would be like an NFL official stopping the game after a team fails on 3rd down to explain that if they don't make it on 4th down, they will turn the ball over to the other team, so they might want to consider a field goal or a punt.
Funny, but yeah--pretty much this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As mentioned above, Alex seemed to state it most every time it was possible to and I don't recall anyone complaining about it then. What's so different now?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm The Serengeti gorge stumper brought me right back to 7th grade social studies when I first learned the name. It's been helpful many times over the years since when watching game shows.
As soon as I saw the clue, this popped into my mind.
[image=]Image[/image]
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm I was certain Doyle was still alive in 1915 so I added him for perhaps some Sherlock connection. Looking at two names I allowed the "doornail" line to persuade me on the crossout.
Also went with Doyle; the sentence vocabulary and syntax sounded like the bad imitation of what he thought was American slang in A Study in Scarlet.

I wonder if different translations render the sentence in different ways. Kafka wrote in German, and I wouldn't think "croaked" is a direct translation.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm The Serengeti gorge stumper brought me right back to 7th grade social studies when I first learned the name. It's been helpful many times over the years since when watching game shows.
I wonder if different translations render the sentence in different ways. Kafka wrote in German, and I wouldn't think "croaked" is a direct translation.
Yes, they do.
https://opencuny.org/cunytranslation/ac ... -exercise/
https://www.kafka-online.info/the-metam ... age38.html
The word in German is krepiert, which apparently can mean exploded, or "informally," dead.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/22367/2 ... 2367-h.htm
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:27 pm As mentioned above, Alex seemed to state it most every time it was possible to and I don't recall anyone complaining about it then. What's so different now?
Alex also frequently pointed out things like "not a runaway game" or "you have exactly half the leader's score", and was criticized plenty of times on here for doing so, as it shouldn't have been his place to "do the math" for the players or point out things like that, even if they only require basic arithmetic to figure out. We all (or most of us) loved Alex but by no means was he perfect, and while I may not have ever specifically complained about him pointing out the maximum DD wager, I also would have no issue with that particular tradition falling by the wayside.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:27 pm As mentioned above, Alex seemed to state it most every time it was possible to and I don't recall anyone complaining about it then. What's so different now?
Alex also frequently pointed out things like "not a runaway game" or "you have exactly half the leader's score", and was criticized plenty of times on here for doing so, as it shouldn't have been his place to "do the math" for the players or point out things like that, even if they only require basic arithmetic to figure out. We all (or most of us) loved Alex but by no means was he perfect, and while I may not have ever specifically complained about him pointing out the maximum DD wager, I also would have no issue with that particular tradition falling by the wayside.
Sounds like a good poll question. I would prefer the host to explicitly state the option to wager up to 1,000/2,000 but I suppose I could live without it. It seems beneficial for new viewers or children who might get confused otherwise.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 pm
I wouldn't cry if it did, either. I guess what I am saying is mostly for the guest host period: some mention it, some don't, some do and then don't. How about some consistency one way or the other?

I am completely with you, though, that Alex possibly affecting the outcome of the game with his pre-FJ score mentions was annoying. I'm glad no one has mentioned it so far.