Monday, June 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REFERENCE BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Emily Dickinson made frequent use of a work by this family friend & said that for several years, it was "my only companion"

Emily White: 5800+3000=8800
Jessica Newman: 3200+3200=6400
Michael Tran: 14000-1121=12879 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Noah) Webster (Michael – Roget)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 1200-1200
Emily: 400-1000
Michael: 12800-2000

Coryats
Emily: 8000
Jessica: 3200
Michael: 16000

Combined: 27,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 0
Jessica: 4400
Michael: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What a negfest with scores dropping all the time all over the place.

Savannah let Emily know she could bet up to 2000 and the champ still did just a 1000. Emily had no way of knowing that she needed to wager even less than her 2200 combined on the 2 DDs she played.

The Bionic Man? The Million Dollar Man? Ouch to my '70s-loving TV heart.

I had a 3-sided coin for the FJ! round and it landed wrong with Bartlett instead of the names the players had.

Too bad I don't have the archive memorized to recall clues like this one:
Spoiler

#6639, aired 2013-06-27 COLLEGES WITH MASS. APPEAL $800: Noah Webster & Samuel Dickinson (Emily's grandpa) were among the co-founders of this private liberal arts college
Or is this another thing where I need to have seen the right streaming show? Is it a part of the Apple TV+ series about her?

Emily could have won again with a solve of either DD. Michael won only the DJ! round and that included losing 2000 on DD3, yet today with all the backward steps it was enough for the necessary lock.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm I had a 3-sided coin for the FJ! round and it landed wrong with Bartlett instead of the names the players had.
I was able to discard that one, thinking that a poet would have need for a dictionary or a thesaurus much more than for a compilation of famous quotations. The thesaurus seemed more likely than the dictionary, but a rhyming dictionary would have been better still. (Meh, she wasn't exactly known for sick rhymes.) I didn't know Roget was British (that's a French name, after all), but I was pretty sure he wasn't American. Luck was with me on the weighted coin flip.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Summer one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7053

No surprise the CCer had the stock site associated with the AMC trend ($56 as of this posting) as two words.

We know a show Savannah binge watched. I watched it in less than a week for a rare experience of doing that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:34 pm The thesaurus seemed more likely than the dictionary
That pretty much my thought -- I went with Roget.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:54 pm I watched it in less than a week for a rare experience of doing that.
I don't like binging things. I just watch one episode at a time and go through everything I'm watching. Between Amazon and Netflix, it's 14 shows in the rotation.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I probably have already posted it, but a Washington Post story about me and The Pelican Brief:

Quiet on the set! Moviemaking in Washington doesn’t always go flawlessly.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs:
DDs: :D :( :D
trash: $6M Man :o , Vikings :o , equator DD, Kennedy DD, Philippines (5600).
FJ: What is Roget? :( Somehow Webster was not on the radar.
Could not pull the Robinhood app. :|
Was trying to precall Roget's, Barlett's, Strunk & White ... :geek:
Remembered Leyte from the TOC. :idea:

A police officer was killed in Olde Town Arvada. Surprised the station went back to regular programming. :cry:
Last edited by DBear on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Went with Webster at first but thought he was more in 18th century during colonial times. Finally changed to Roget with time running out. D'oh!

Would they have accepted Greenwich Meridian Time for Mean Time? Judges?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

started the first 18/20 hot. didn't get the Bahamas DD, still can't find the answer on Google Maps
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I considered Noah Webster, but I was afraid I was confusing him with Daniel Webster and couldn't be sure Noah was from the Dickinsons' neck of the woods, so I left the two New Englanders behind for Roget, who was decidedly an Old Englander. It was an unsatisfying game, and the satisfaction of solving FJ eluded me.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 1/4 on big clues. Got Kennedy but missed the others. Said Roget.
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm I added Peter Mark Roget and Noah Webster to my list of things I get confused.
D'oh!

Tough game for me today. Said Robin Hood instead of The Lion King. I went 1 out of 2 for clues that I responded to with Robinhood.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Geographic Tongue (glossitis), ragtime, time immemorial, cry havoc, and safe as kittens.
CyrusChan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:33 pm started the first 18/20 hot. didn't get the Bahamas DD, still can't find the answer on Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/@23.4288491,-82.0786604,11z

Not sure what the clue meant by "Mainland." They highlighted the area on a map so it was clear what they were going for but the text seems weird.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

I knew Roget was not American and that was the only other work I would have considered. My first thought was Emerson, who was a family friend - or at least they had him to the house - but of course he has no reference book associated with him...
Notable that Dickinson refers to the book only as her "Lexicon." Scholars have concluded - not unreasonably - that she meant Webster's.
Also notable how Dickinson - who was a poor speller but certainly otherwise careful with language - cites a certain Bible book in this letter. The Belle of Amherst maybe wasn't cut out for J!
http://archive.emilydickinson.org/corre ... /l261.html
I just finished reading a short biography of Dickinson but while the letter was quoted no mention of Webster as a family friend connected with Amherst was made, so I didn't have much of an advantage.
Last edited by davey on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The Singapore - Jakarta Olympic flame clue was just *chef's kiss*

Thought of Roget first but realized, no, that's French[sic]. Only other reference book then would be a dictionary and that leaves Webster.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I said Bartlett, in defiance of the cardinal rule against rejecting the obvious choice just because it is obvious. To make things worse, I didn't even feel any outlaw thrill.

I watched Queen's Gambit in 3 or 4 bursts over 4 or 5 days. Probably not a binge, but I'd rather work my way there gradually.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

This might be interesting as a poll: I had never heard of any of those "common named" maladies... A couple were easy to tease out the correct response, but...

Avocado Hand?
Swimmer's Itch?
Grinch Syndrome?
Geographic Tongue?
Baby Wrist?

Nope, never heard of 'em.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 pm This might be interesting as a poll: I had never heard of any of those "common named" maladies... A couple were easy to tease out the correct response, but...

Avocado Hand?
Swimmer's Itch?
Grinch Syndrome?
Geographic Tongue?
Baby Wrist?

I've vaguely heard of Swimmer's, but apparently this article made a big impression on me as it's from over a year ago:
https://thetakeout.com/dangerous-slicin ... 1841429299
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:34 pm The thesaurus seemed more likely than the dictionary
+1 for Roget here as that was my exact thinking. I should have paid more attention to the "family friend" part of the clue, as I knew Roget was British.
Rackme32 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 pm Avocado Hand?
Swimmer's Itch?
Grinch Syndrome?
Geographic Tongue?
Baby Wrist?

+1 for this as well, never heard of any of those, but sussed out Avocado, heart, and wrist.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm sure I've heard that the water between Florida and Cuba is called the Straits of Florida, but I couldn't come up with it tonight. That seemed somewhat difficult for an $800 clue.

Had to lean on the fact that Webster and Dickinson are both famously New Englanders for tonight's FJ.