Wednesday, June 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues. Did the math to figure out it was something to do with space, noted ruble to eliminate Sally Ride. Did not know Whistler's name had that many names in it.

Kicking myself for missing Christopher Meloni and Christo. I recently played through an archive game with Christopher Meloni as a contestant and also I've been able to recognize him for years. I've seen an episode of Big Mouth but didn't care for it and missed that one too.

Adding Pellegrino and Perrier to my list of things I get confused. Said Maria Therese instead of Josephine. Meant to say Marie Louise. Maria Theresa/Marie Antoinette/Marie Therese/Marie Louise are already on my list of things I get confused.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Clamato, Mouse (Robert Burns To a Mouse), Belgium (Brabant), In Living Color, and The Hundred Days.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I guessed that Tennyson's request was that the poem not be published.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:49 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm That Tennyson clue may have been one of the worst clues in J! history.
Came here to say this. There is nothing to pin the clue to the expected response wording. The expected response wording was probably not what Tennyson actually wanted (his actual wishes appear to require the word "all"). It's not even clear that the clue was factually correct, in a strict sense, since Tennyson made the request to his son and not directly to any publishers (as far as my limited research has revealed).
what a mouthful. I couldn't even finish reading the clue. Ha. so much for buzzing in.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

another 60s question. this time I knew not-Vivien Leigh but couldn't pull her last name out. Probably would botch the spelling.

Country and Numbers were a bit easy today.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 pm Once again it helps to be "of a certain age." (OK, and to have a lifelong interest in space exploration). Valentina Tereshkova was the kind of
Unless you're "of a certain age" giving you plenty of time to forget it after learning it... :I just couldn't dredge up the name tonight... :roll:

I love Big Mouth...one of the few multi-season Netflix shows I've managed to make my way through, laughing all the way...I look forward to a new season! It was in the news last year as one of the shows where a white actress (Jenny Slate) ceased playing a biracial character...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Leander wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:17 pm I got as far as Valentina, but couldn’t remember her last name.
Worth a shot. Maybe she's single-name famous.
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:59 pm I guessed that Tennyson's request was that the poem not be published.
I guessed it was that they dot the i's.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:59 pm I guessed that Tennyson's request was that the poem not be published.
I said he wanted it published posthumously.

I spelled the cosmonaut's name "Tareshkova" for FJ.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Got to the solve after a 10-second mad scramble as my brain would not move off Gagarin.

Do NOT understand the (moot) $10,000 wager at all.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Picked Off wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:31 am Got to the solve after a 10-second mad scramble as my brain would not move off Gagarin.

Doesn't he maximize his payday if the leader misses, without risking 2nd place? The downside is losing about $5K on a double miss, but don't we always assume 2nd will at least make the cover bet?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Picked Off wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:31 am Got to the solve after a 10-second mad scramble as my brain would not move off Gagarin.

Doesn't he maximize his payday if the leader misses, without risking 2nd place? The downside is losing about $5K on a double miss, but don't we always assume 2nd will at least make the cover bet?
The leader’s MSBIW score was $7599. His goal should be to bet so he is no lower than $7600 on a miss. A bet of $7800 accomplishes that.

But he went with the tried and true “big round number” wager. What could possibly go wrong?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Say Sandy bets to cover by a dollar and gets it wrong. She's left with 7,599. Joel bets 10,000 and gets it wrong (which happened). He covers a doubled third easily but his 5,400 doesn't pass Sandy.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Picked Off wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 pm

Say Sandy bets to cover by a dollar and gets it wrong. She's left with 7,599. Joel bets 10,000 and gets it wrong (which happened). He covers a doubled third easily but his 5,400 doesn't pass Sandy.
:oops: . Just glancing at it I had Sandy about 5K on a miss. I paid more attention to 3rd and thought the cover bet would dunk Sandy below 5K. Note to self: Do the Math first, then compose a reply, then delete it :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My guess as well.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Congress does not ratify Constitutional Amendments. Congress proposes them and the states ratify.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:14 pm Congress does not ratify Constitutional Amendments. Congress proposes them and the states ratify.
Good catch. Another example of poor writing.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:49 pm The FJ! clue had me match Sandy for a pen down enjoy-the-music segment as I also included the first name with nothing better to do for the 30 seconds.

Ouch to those that figure out the achievement though don't have the name in their mental Rolodex.
I had the reverse problem. Took most of the think music to get to space exploration, then I had the name but might've run out of time to write it down. Boo.

I thought HISTORIC NUMBERS was tough - knew 1876 but was never getting 7th Cavalry. Also missed Apollo 13 (ugh - space!) and Hundred Days

The San Pellegrino clue was odd, but WECIB? I was thrown by the Vichy reference and looking for anything having to do with the "pilgrim" etymology. ETA: Vichy refers to the bottle design

S.Pellegrino’s unique “Vichy” silhouette is shared with its match, Acqua Panna. It’s distinct look has always been sophisticated and elegant, traditional yet modern, and always found at the best restaurants, hotels and cafés around the world.

The contestant coordinators go out of their way to tell you not to say please when calling the category, but we keep seeing it again and again :/
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:23 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:14 pm Congress does not ratify Constitutional Amendments. Congress proposes them and the states ratify.
Good catch. Another example of poor writing.
The clue about the Canadian constitution was also factually incorrect.