Thursday, June 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, June 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

danspartan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:30 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 pm This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
He didn’t bet small enough. Trying to pass first is pointless. He needs to stay above her missing on a cover bet. Anything over 2600 is wrong.
Such is the nature of the Weak Form. "Small" in quotation marks just means they kept third place locked out, not that they made a correct strategic choice with regard to first place. The guy who beat me bet $14,999 of his $15,800 while barely in two-thirds territory, but it was "small" because third place had $400.

I responded Robert Penn Warren to FJ because I was blanking out and all I could manage was Camelot -> king -> All the King's Men.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 4/4 on big clues. For DD2 I wasn't sure if it was "surrender" or "give up" but picked the right one. By Grabthar's Hammer, I blame Alan Rickman for the confusion.

I've mixed up Java and Bali on similar clues before but I'm a bit surprised there were no guesses that actually named an Indonesian island. Easier to play from home though.

I missed France with Switzerland.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Long Winter (Laura Ingalls Wilder), John Glenn, the Order of the Garter, Janis Joplin (1970 Death, "Mercedes Benz"), and Midsummer.

Midsommar was recommended by streaming services but I haven't watched it. I think I've heard about Brian Fagan's book The Long Summer and that led me astray. I mixed up Alan Shepard and John Glenn and I should know better.
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:46 pm
Sandy's Hawthorne? Is there some decent logic there for an alternate guess? I'm certain I never looked at Gables or Letter.
My guess is she may have been conflating "Pilgrims" with "Puritans" and thinking Scarlet Letter.
That's a good guess. Maybe she had a misfired connection from Camelot-->JFK-->Massachusetts-->Hawthorne
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Sandy was a strong player who could have easily joined the group of super champions. Instead, we will never see her again. Jeopardy will always have some element of luck for many who get on a big roll.

At the rate this is going, her potential 3-day total may have put her in solid shape for the next TOC…
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:26 am Midsommar was recommended by streaming services but I haven't watched it.
My wife and I both really like it. Excellent and different horror movie.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:38 am
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:26 am Midsommar was recommended by streaming services but I haven't watched it.
My wife and I both really like it. Excellent and different horror movie.
It's a movie that will keep you thinking about it for a few days afterward. Not for the squeamish of stomach, though.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

danspartan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:30 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 pmThis game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
He didn’t bet small enough. Trying to pass first is pointless. He needs to stay above her missing on a cover bet. Anything over 2600 is wrong. The odds that the leader bets small here are small enough to be ignored. The category and her job make it even more unlikely. He needs to make FJ all about her answer as he has no other shot.

Also didn’t like his DD wager. If he is betting 2/3 of his money he might as well bet it all. He would have dropped so low that coming back would have been highly unlikely.

Surprised she missed it. Clarence really threw me off. Darrow jumped in my mind and I was lost.
In the context of Shore's Conjecture, a "small" bet is defined as a bet by the second-place player that keeps the third-place player locked out. --Bob
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Kirsten wagged her way into irrelevance. Armon has a lot of front, which turns me off, and I hope he is gone soon.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 pm Kirsten wagged her way into irrelevance. Armon has a lot of front, which turns me off, and I hope he is gone soon.
What is it they say about how if you don't have anything nice to say about someone?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t think he had much front. He is rather small in stature.
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:39 am
floridagator wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 pm Kirsten wagged her way into irrelevance. Armon has a lot of front, which turns me off, and I hope he is gone soon.
What is it they say about how if you don't have anything nice to say about someone?
Hubris?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:26 am I've mixed up Java and Bali on similar clues before but I'm a bit surprised there were no guesses that actually named an Indonesian island. Easier to play from home though.
The part about "your hotel" led me to Bali

Sandy was strong, but not that savvy in her gameplay. I was also surprised she missed Final

What does "too much front" even mean?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:02 pm The part about "your hotel" led me to Bali
Why did you follow this path?

The clue in the question, I'm fairly certain, was Hindu, which is the religion for 87% of Bali residents, and under 2% of Indonesia as a whole.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:06 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:02 pm The part about "your hotel" led me to Bali
Why did you follow this path?

The clue in the question, I'm fairly certain, was Hindu, which is the religion for 87% of Bali residents, and under 2% of Indonesia as a whole.
Bali is the resort destination of Indonesia, so the clue "you may not be able to leave your hotel" pointed here. The Hindu part just washed over me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni