Friday, June 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

Nope, not for one second…
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm Can't say I've heard of the correct response before.
I can.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm "Great White Way" was extremely unfamiliar.
Oh come on, do you expect a generic name like THAT to stick in my head? :lol:
I'm not asking for it to stick in your head; I'm asking for due diligence before you post NHOI, so the goofier folks on this board don't wind up excavating your receipts every time. This one was slightly tougher to seek out due to it being a phrase more than a proper name, which is not as easy for the J!Board search function, but Googling the phrase in quotation marks and restricting it to jboard.tv made it a cinch.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

A few more great whites:

Golfer Greg Norman or swimmer Carcharodon carcharias
Spoiler
shark
Canada
Spoiler
North
At Jack London's urging, Jim Jeffries became the latest in a line of these in 1910
Spoiler
hope(s)
In December 1907, the Connecticut led this group out of Hampton Roads on a 43,000 mile voyage
Spoiler
fleet
His strong eyes did glow, the leader of the land, the great white this, who led the battered herd to make a final stand
Spoiler
buffalo
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The outgoing champ had some trivia savvy but no charm. The leader in the game had excellent trivia savvy but no strategy for the big Clues. Austin has all three. I'll bet the kids really like going to his office.

I agree with others that Savannah's pauses let Armin snatch Victory from the jaws of defeat. It also happened in Thursday's game with the Neapolitan clue.

John Deere is a brand name. The name of the company is Deere & Company. So Deere was a perfectly valid answer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:15 am I agree with others that Savannah's pauses let Armin snatch Victory from the jaws of defeat.
It's too bad he lost, depriving you of the opportunity to go through all five vowels for the second syllable of his name.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in They Are Quite the Characters and Journalists $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

Tossing this in here for posterity.

When I was working through my backlog of episodes over the weekend this one was part of it. I was a little surprised by the category
WHAT ELSE SHOULD "IB"? with the clue Abstinence from physical intimacy.

Celibacy was accepted but is wrong from an etymological point of view. It does however fit the category. Celibacy is from Latin caelibatus, from caelebs ‘unmarried’. It appears that people have got it wrong for long enough that now it's taken on the meaning as well. The same category as irregardless I guess. If I'd been there I would either have blurted out chastity or vapor locked for a second deciding between getting the answer right or being pedantic.

Just happens to be one of those things that bug me, like incorrect names for body parts and not knowing the difference between their and they're.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!