Friday, June 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Friday, June 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm Savannah is a little kinder or a little slower on the judging side of things?

Napa Valley could have been negged immediately, but instead a grace period was given. The reward? The next clue was DD1. That's great for Arman while perhaps it unfairly disadvantaged his opponents.

Later "glacier" was given time to be corrected. It can't be easy to host and judge such things and I'm not sure myself where to draw the line. It's up to the discretion of the host to rule as soon as a response is given or if the response is in the neighborhood to say nothing and wait to see if the player can clean it up before time is up.
Add not calling for a BMS on "Who is Caesar?" on the last clue of DJ
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm Savannah is a little kinder or a little slower on the judging side of things?

Napa Valley could have been negged immediately, but instead a grace period was given. The reward? The next clue was DD1. That's great for Arman while perhaps it unfairly disadvantaged his opponents.

Later "glacier" was given time to be corrected. It can't be easy to host and judge such things and I'm not sure myself where to draw the line. It's up to the discretion of the host to rule as soon as a response is given or if the response is in the neighborhood to say nothing and wait to see if the player can clean it up before time is up.
agree, some last names are common too, should provide a first name as well.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:00 pm Personally, I have never heard it referred to without the word 'the'. It's The Great White Way. I hesitated to say just "Great White Way", but I finally did because I had nothing else. I did not like the wording of that clue (yet another example).
Well, yes...articles tend to do that. But M-W disagrees and says its 'the': https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... hite%20Way
I've never heard to it as anything other than "the Empire State Building"...

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 pm
(quote collapsation)
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm

agree, some last names are common too, should provide a first name as well.
On the other hand, "Deere" shouldn't have been accepted. They weren't asking for the person but the company.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 pm On the other hand, "Deere" shouldn't have been accepted. They weren't asking for the person but the company.
Their motto is, "Nothing runs like a Deere", so I'm fine with it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:56 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 pm On the other hand, "Deere" shouldn't have been accepted. They weren't asking for the person but the company.
Their motto is, "Nothing runs like a Deere", so I'm fine with it.
Did not know that. I withdraw the complaint.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 4/4 on big clues. Scary FJ category for me but I've seen "Great White Way" several times in the archive. Lots of easy clues that I missed and lots of new things for me to learn. I'm 4/5 on FJs this week, which is 4 weeks straight with 4/5 since the end of the ToC. I missed Bravo, Coffee Break, Kafka, and Webster.

Missed Ivan and said Vladimir.

Savannah did excellent as a host and I'd put her at the very top of my personal rankings along with Ken. My biggest gripe is the contestant interviews. She was inoffensive and supportive to the point of being bland. A hint of snarkiness would be more entertaining. I think Mayim Bialik did the best on the interviews. The interviews are the least important part of the game so it doesn't add or subtract much to my ranking. Her judging did seem off today but that didn't seem to be a problem for the whole two weeks. Maybe just too nice. Also it would literally take money away from charity if she negged more answers.

Congrats to Austin for winning and to all three players for giving us a fun game to watch. Nikkee lost the game because her DD wagering was inappropriately small. If she had followed my rule of thumb, if everything else stayed the same, and she made the standard bet for FJ, then she would have won.

My rule of thumb: always bet the maximum on the J round DD and always bet the maximum on the DJ round DD if you find it on the first 8 clues. Don't even think about wagering until the last 22 clues of the game. That leaves plenty of time to catch up in case you miss.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are oak leaf cluster, ceiling, Turkey, Charlayne Hunter-Gault, and Cameron Crowe.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've heard of the correct response before.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm Can't say I've heard of the correct response before.
I can.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm "Great White Way" was extremely unfamiliar.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ took just a few seconds, and provided an 'Aha' moment as I never wondered where the expression came from. I need to find out the meaning of Vaudeville before it comes up.
Spoiler
Or maybe not, it seems kind of blase.

Vaudeville - Wikipedia
Why is it called vaudeville?
The word vaudeville is derived from an old French term for a satirical song, vaudevire, which is a reference to the Vire valley of France, where the songs originated. In the United States vaudeville acts performed variety shows, using music, comedy, dance, acrobatics, magic, puppets, and even trained animals.
IMHO, that five year old naming the 311.127 Hz note should call it E-flat instead of D-sharp. Is she being raised by wolves or what?

Savannah has been the best gameplay clue reader of them all. The backfills were just about right. I don't know if she mispronounced anything obscure, and she did have some player friendly judging incidents.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:02 am IMHO, that five year old naming the 311.127 Hz note should call it E-flat instead of D-sharp. Is she being raised by wolves or what?
This made me laugh really hard. If I got the clue, I would have given the expected response of "What is perfect pitch?", though, when referring to myself, I tend to call it "absolute pitch" because it isn't perfect. I never came to a realization that I had it, though I think I was 10 or 11 when I came to the realization that most people *didn't* have it.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm Add not calling for a BMS on "Who is Caesar?" on the last clue of DJ
If the clue writer did not indicate BMS for "Caesar", it's more their fault than Savannah's (I'm curious about whether this was the case).

Despite what the captioner may think, I did not go to Edwin R. Murrow High School.

I grew up in Brooklyn and am a Broadway nerd, so FJ! was one of my most instant instagets.
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:30 pm
alan tiger wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 pm most multi-street intersections
Are there any other kind?
I knew what alan meant. In a grid-like pattern, most of the intersections are of two streets, typically one north-south and one east-west. Broadway intersects 7th Avenue and 45h Street at Times Square, 6th Avenue (aka Avenue of the Americas) and 34th Street at Herald Square, etc. One exception is 8th Avenue and 59th Street, which is Columbus Circle.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Instaget FJ for this NYC native. I’m glad I’m out of the current mess up there but it used to be great. I was rooting for Ms. Porcaro but Mr. Weiss played a great endgame. The returning champ bombed out today. I thought SG did a very good hosting job & I wasn’t previously familiar with her work. I’ve sat across the aisle from Gupta in Delta First Class. He was next to John Roberts (the reporter not the CJ.).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Never in a million years would have predicted that FJ would be a triple stumper!
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

econgator wrote:
[quote="alan tiger" wrote:
most multi-street intersections are squares.

===
most "squares" in manhattan are actually triangles.
examples are times square, herald square, foley square, sherman square, cooper square, sheridan square, father demo square, petrosino square, etc.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/f ... sp=sharing

If you like confrontational interviews watch the one with Les from 10-11-1995. It is the one in the middle of the list on the left hand side. Link was lifted from the old games thread.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:30 pm
alan tiger wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 pm most multi-street intersections
My brother lives on the corner of a single-street intersection.
[image=][Imgur]([/image]
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That's ... interesting.

I guess they're still multiple streets that just happen to -- for no reason I can see -- have the same name.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm That's ... interesting.

I guess they're still multiple streets that just happen to -- for no reason I can see -- have the same name.
Actually, that was selective cropping of the map to see if I could elicit a double-take. It's a five-house cul-de-sac that is evidently not big enough to get its own street name. This may illustrate it better:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.794868, ... a=!3m1!1e3

The street sign on the corner does have W 54th Ave both ways, though.

What is really odd is that the street continues south as Nelson, while to go north on Nelson you have to go a block east. I have no clue why they didn't give the cul-de-sac the Nelson name and rename the "other" Nelson. Very strange traffic engineers.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:53 pm What is really odd is that the street continues south as Nelson, while to go north on Nelson you have to go a block east. I have no clue why they didn't give the cul-de-sac the Nelson name and rename the "other" Nelson. Very strange traffic engineers.
That is an odd configuration. I'd guess the reason they kept the cul-de-sac as 54th is due to the mail. A mail truck would come down 54th, around the cul-de-sac, and then back onto 54th. It'd look weird to have 105 54th, 110 54th, then 2100 Nelson, 2105 Nelson, ... , 115 54th, etc.... But yeah, seems the easiest thing to do is just rename the other Nelson.
davey

Post by davey »

I assume the pauses in Savannah's - and others' - games is because she's turned to the real judges for a ruling. The contestant says Napa Valley, it's not exactly what's on her card, she turns to the judges, the contestant uses the opportunity to correct himself. Close rulings are what the staff is for. Personally I didn't know it was a town, only a valley/county.
To me, "Great White Way" is about as familiar a New York expression as there is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm Can't say I've heard of the correct response before.
I can.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm "Great White Way" was extremely unfamiliar.
Oh come on, do you expect a generic name like THAT to stick in my head? :lol: