How Did Savannah Guthrie Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Savannah Guthrie on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

1%
1%
1%
1%
3%
19%
26%
30%
13%
4%

Total votes: 70

TenPoundHammer

Re: How Did Savannah Guthrie Do as Host?

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9. I didn't really see anything objectionable. Not quite as strong as Mayim who seems to be the best so far, but quite enjoyable.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:35 pm I thought she did fine. It’s rather pointless to have a tryout if she’s not going to actually take the job. But after the dowdy prior host, SG was a spark of life!
^^^ proof that one can praise a woman and be sexist at the same time
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:27 pm SG had a very appealing low-key manner...She did less to call attention to herself than any of the hosts. Maybe it's because I'm less familiar with her work than the other newspeople, but I found her restraint made her intriguing rather than dull.
Ahem. SG is a term reserved strictly for someone here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:49 am
davey wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:27 pm SG had a very appealing low-key manner...She did less to call attention to herself than any of the hosts. Maybe it's because I'm less familiar with her work than the other newspeople, but I found her restraint made her intriguing rather than dull.
Ahem. SG is a term reserved strictly for someone here.
He's Sg, not SG (or 5G :)).
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Savannah Guthrie alienated herself from middle America by her despicable treatment of President Trump in last year's town hall forum. No President deserved that. Imagine how the same people that cheered Savanna's strident performance in that debate would have been aghast if someone had treated Barack that way. Or Jimmy Carter. Or any of them. The idea of watching her host Jeopardy permanently is simply a non-starter. She revealed herself to be a partisan, not someone that the average American would welcome into their home.

She called the president of the United States a crazy uncle. Who can remember how Bernard Shaw of CNN made himself a pariah simply by posing a gentle hypothetical question to Michael Dukakis? He didn't lambaste. He didn't posture. He merely asked a question, and it basically wound up being his tombstone.

So Savannah couldn't be host of Jeopardy any more than James Carville could, or Newt Gingrich, or Lee Atwater, if he were still alive.

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The notion that "the average American" wouldn't welcome a game show host with polarizing political opinions is disproved by the existence of Pat Sajak.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 pm [words words words]
She asked many things that a reasonable person would want to know of him at the time. It's too bad so many people see that as an affront.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:00 am The notion that "the average American" wouldn't welcome a game show host with polarizing political opinions is disproved by the existence of Pat Sajak.
Pat Sajak has polarizing political opinions? I didn't even know he had *any* political opinions.

But here's one from me... Donald Trump *WAS* a crazy uncle.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If Donald Trump gets as good as he gives, he deserved all that and a lot more.

And you think people's memories are a lot longer than they are. Savannah is doing just fine.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 pm Savannah Guthrie alienated herself from middle America by her despicable treatment of President Trump in last year's town hall forum. No President deserved that.
I don't know, seems pretty un-sheeplike to me to actually question someone's words and actions.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:18 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:00 am The notion that "the average American" wouldn't welcome a game show host with polarizing political opinions is disproved by the existence of Pat Sajak.
Pat Sajak has polarizing political opinions? I didn't even know he had *any* political opinions.
Sajak was my teevee weather guy growing up, so I'm not even sure I fully accept him as a game show host.
floridagator wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 pm So Savannah couldn't be host of Jeopardy any more than James Carville could, or Newt Gingrich, or Lee Atwater, if he were still alive.
Yowza! I lean conservative, but I'd be on board for a couple weeks of Carville.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

squarekara wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:49 pm
Sajak was my teevee weather guy growing up, so I'm not even sure I fully accept him as a game show host.
floridagator wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 pm So Savannah couldn't be host of Jeopardy any more than James Carville could, or Newt Gingrich, or Lee Atwater, if he were still alive.
Just to hear him say cadre, oeuvre, and genre in Cajun, if for no other reason.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Carville would be hilarious, although I'm not sure he'd be good!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:27 pm she seemed oddly disconnected from the game at times - e.g., after Jabberwock was revealed as the FJ answer, not mentioning why another contestant’s response of Jabberwocky was wrong.
I came to say just this! She won me over, but she's not in my top 3.

We're the same age, but her net worth is a bit higher ;)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:12 pm
Carville would be hilarious, although I'm not sure he'd be good!
Can you imagine? If Alex had the sympathetic "Ooh, sorry," I shudder to think what we'd hear from Carville.

This is from an episode of King of the Hill in which straight-arrow Hank unwittingly begins using crack as fishbait and eventually has to explain himself before a judge. James Carville as Hizzoner.
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

No politics, please. Like everyone else these days, I have my own personal political opinions, but I couldn't care less what the politics of a host are, or anything they do outside the show for that matter.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DysonSphere wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:42 pm No politics, please. Like everyone else these days, I have my own personal political opinions, but I couldn't care less what the politics of a host are, or anything they do outside the show for that matter.
I manage to watch and enjoy Sajak without thinking about his politics, but I have to wonder if it would bother me, watching Jeopardy! day after day, if the permanent host were both politically outspoken and ideologically extreme in a way opposite from my views. Alex was good like that--mostly kept his politics to himself, except for a fairly commonsense interview aside every now and then, and anyway, his politics were all three of somewhat iconoclastic, moderate, and sympathetic to opposing viewpoints. The latter two are hard to be nowadays. Pretty much anybody Sony finds to perma-host is going to have a tweet history that someone of one view or another is going to find tough to stomach. Couple that to today's social media pressure to "take a stand" for one side or another on just about every issue and it's going to be tough for any socially conscious host to keep his/her mouth shut going forward on issues that various interests are going to deem political, or will subsequently become politicized. (E.g., mask-wearing imposed as a temporary public health measure wasn't political prior to 2020, but here we are.) If you want a completely politically neutral host, all of the guest hosts who have said they want the job are right out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:12 pm Carville would be hilarious, although I'm not sure he'd be good!
When I was at UF, they had guest speakers in a few times a year. One of those times, it was James Carville and his wife, Mary Matalin. Those two were incredibly bright and funny playing off each other.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Realistically, the only host out there I probably would actively not watch would be Gilbert Gottfried.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:06 pm Realistically, the only host out there I probably would actively not watch would be Gilbert Gottfried.
I will say, "You fool!" could have a chance to unseat "Oooh, sorry." :lol:
Spoiler
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)