Wednesday, June 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

reddpen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 am
Johnblue wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 pm Easy FJ for me but I haven’t read Brave New World yet so maybe I’ll take it from the library next month.
Enh. It's better than his The Doors of Perception, but I wouldn't make a point of reading it.
Hmm. . . there's another FJ in there, I think.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 pm Easy FJ for me but I haven’t read Brave New World yet so maybe I’ll take it from the library next month.
Enh. It's better than his The Doors of Perception, but I wouldn't make a point of reading it.
Johnblue wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 pm I enjoyed the flyover states category. In September I’m going to Kansas for the first time. Then I’ll only have Alaska, the Dakotas, and those 4 northwestern states left.
Assuming you mean WA, OR, ID and MT, you're saving the best for last, eh? Alaska was my 50th after I drove I-70 for part of a trip from Boston to Eugene, OR so I could knock off Missouri and Kansas.
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:02 am
Johnblue wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:03 pm She wore her heart on her sleeve. She played a pretty good game until missing that easy DD.
Easy?
DD: Cities along this river that shares its name with a state capital include Ottumwa & Fort Dodge

I could probably pin the towns to Iowa from faint name recognition if I had time to rule out 20 other options. But TIL that Des Moines is the name of a river. I had no idea, and Iowa even borders Missouri (PSA: MO and TN have the most borders with other states with 8 each) so it's not like it's a famous river. Maybe this would poll at 80%, but I don't consider it "easy".
Poll request for the Des Moines DD. I'll be surprised if it tops 50%--no way it gets to 80%.
I also tried Topeka, no doubt muddling Fort Dodge and Dodge City.

Yeah, I don't imagine a lot of champs get the sole FJ solve in their first three wins or come third in Coryat for two of them. Courtney's coming up big when it counts so far--at different points in this match I thought both Abby and S.A. looked very strong.

I actually was going to do a cross country drive last September but the crazy pandemic killed that. I’m planning on a bit of international travel over the next 12 months so maybe September 2022…
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

reddpen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 am Alaska was my 50th after I drove I-70 for part of a trip from Boston to Eugene, OR so I could knock off Missouri and Kansas.
You live in Seattle! How could you have left Alaska for last?!? Alaska was my 50th, but that was a good 25 years ago now, and I've been back since then.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Regarding the Ottumwa DD, it’s just asking to name the state capital where that town is located. Not a complicated clue.

But I will say that I don’t think the writers would have used Ottumwa if it weren’t for MASH.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:21 pm Thanks to Radar, I know where Ottumwa is.
Totally. My wife said "I guess she never watched MASH."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:59 am
Hmm. . . there's another FJ in there, I think.
Yes, that FJ should break on through to the other side.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:22 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:21 pm Thanks to Radar, I know where Ottumwa is.
Totally. My wife said "I guess she never watched MASH."
Not familiar with the Des Moines river, but Radar's Ottumwa plus state capital led me there.

This thread made me realize I know more about the hometowns of the MASH characters than I do people I see every day. I know where Potter, B.J., Charles, Hawkeye, Radar, Klinger, Mulcahey, Blake, and Hotlips grew up, but haven't a clue about any of the folks who live next door.

.... and where Hotlips grew up would be a trick question.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 am
reddpen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 am Alaska was my 50th after I drove I-70 for part of a trip from Boston to Eugene, OR so I could knock off Missouri and Kansas.
You live in Seattle! How could you have left Alaska for last?!? Alaska was my 50th, but that was a good 25 years ago now, and I've been back since then.
Hoping to make all 50 but I still have a ways to go, missing a bunch out west. In a couple weeks I get to move Indiana from the “drove through” list to the “done something in” list, but that’s about it for now.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Somehow ran Aria. easy DD
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:15 pm
Hoping to make all 50 but I still have a ways to go, missing a bunch out west. In a couple weeks I get to move Indiana from the “drove through” list to the “done something in” list, but that’s about it for now.
Wow, I'm just over the halfway mark.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The "Enter Laughing" director was a die hard J! fan, so the TS (with photo provided) really stung:
https://www.primetimer.com/item/Carl-Re ... uot-JWSK7E
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:15 pm
That's where most of mine are, too. I've got 29 of the 50 (I'm not counting my many layovers in either SLC or MSP), but can't quite draw a line from one coast to the other unless you allow me to draw a line through the Four Corners at CO/AZ. If the 21 I have left, only 4 (ME, MI, CT, RI) are east of the Mississippi.
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:46 pm The "Enter Laughing" director was a die hard J! fan, so the TS (with photo provided) really stung:
To be fair, it was a pretty young Carl Reiner in the picture. Still, the movie deserves to be known. I watched it recently and had a good time. I wanna get to Where's Poppa soon....
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:42 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:46 pm The "Enter Laughing" director was a die hard J! fan, so the TS (with photo provided) really stung:
To be fair, it was a pretty young Carl Reiner in the picture. Still, the movie deserves to be known. I watched it recently and had a good time. I wanna get to Where's Poppa soon....
Dick Van Dyke Show reruns air in the 2pm hour here in Chicago, and we had it on in the background yesterday. Reiner came on as Alan Brady, and I happened to say something like "Hey, kids, here's the guy that brought you The Jerk." Then, as a family, we groaned through the TS when J! aired at 3:30.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

reddpen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 amAlaska was my 50th after I drove I-70 for part of a trip from Boston to Eugene, OR so I could knock off Missouri and Kansas.
More happenstance than anything else, plus I got there back in 1992 while I was still 30, though I've yet to return (and it's a four-hour flight even from here). Till age 22 I'd been in maybe 12 states, all in the west (including a trip to Texas at age 9). Then I drove from WA to Vermont and back for college three times via three different routes, took a senior year Ultimate team spring break road trip to Fla., and spent the summer after graduation driving all over the country. After that I think all I had left were NE, KY, WV and the three already mentioned.
In and out of the pool four times
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Director's First Feature Film $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I previously knew of J.B.S. Haldane from a quotation that I liked for its oddness, but I only remembered the gist of it and so never posted about it. But I've just found it and am bumping this thread to share it:

"It was not until I attended a few postmortems that I realized that even the ugliest exteriors may contain the most beautiful viscera, and was able to console myself for the facial drabness of my neighbors in omnibuses by dissecting them in my imagination."