Tuesday, July 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:59 am
cthulhu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:54 pm The “iconic San Diego area hotel” is the Hotel Del Coronado, typically just called the Hotel Del or the Del. I think Courtney’s answer of the “Hotel Coronado” should have been negged; have never heard it before.
The whole clue was a joke. I believe it was described as "the setting" for Some Like It Hot. Filming location, yes. Setting, no.
Good point. It always amused me that they're on the beach in Florida, and there are ... mountains in the background.

I recently paid my respects to the Fitzgeralds.

Fitzgeralds.jpg
Fitzgeralds.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 833 times
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:59 am
cthulhu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:54 pm The “iconic San Diego area hotel” is the Hotel Del Coronado, typically just called the Hotel Del or the Del. I think Courtney’s answer of the “Hotel Coronado” should have been negged; have never heard it before.
The whole clue was a joke. I believe it was described as "the setting" for Some Like It Hot. Filming location, yes. Setting, no.
On the other hand, it was "a setting," and one M-W definition for setting is "the scenery used in a theatrical or film production."
Leander

Post by Leander »

Interesting. As a northeasterner (and for a while a Chicago resident), who has never been to San Diego, I have always seen it referred to in media as the Del Coronado or Coronado. Never seen “Hotel Del”.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:47 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 pm Ooph!
Well played :lol:. I did not know that oophorectomy was the name for the ovarian operation. That's just silly.
My wife and I did a very mild double-take at the reveal. She's a nurse; I started as an EMT and finished my military career in hospital administration, and neither of us had ever heard "ooph" (or "oof"). All of the OB/Gyns we worked with pronounced it more like "oh-oh-pherectomy."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

kromiumman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:23 am Anyone else notice that Courtney spelled it "Univesity"? Reminds me of the Emanciptation Proclamation debacle...
I can see no "R" in her response, no matter how much I try to persuade myself that the end of the "E" in "Univesity" has a little part that curls upward into part of one. I am surprised it was ruled correct. The judges either didn't catch it, or figured "Ohio State" was the only important part of the clue and thus were forgiving in this instance. Fortunately, it was a lock game, and only mattered to whether Courtney got an extra $8k take-home pay, not whether she won.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I happened to be driving through Ohio yesterday and stopped in Columbus for lunch. Saw a sign mentioning The Ohio State University. Even my GPS included The in my destination.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I didn't catch the word area in the San Diego hotel clue and thought that was poorly written because Coronado is a separate jurisdiction. If you have the chance, catch the film Noir television series Coronado 9 starring Rod Cameron. One episode features a daring climax scene on the roof of the hotel.

I thought the NYC parade clue was unfair. What was the Tom to lead one to Veterans Day? I know about the famous NYC Columbus Day Parade which features tens of thousands of Marchers. I saw it in person once. Hella boring. Nothing but marching units. Where are the politicians? Where are the floats? Where are the pretty girls in convertibles?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:34 am I didn't catch the word area in the San Diego hotel clue and thought that was poorly written because Coronado is a separate jurisdiction. If you have the chance, catch the film Noir television series Coronado 9 starring Rod Cameron. One episode features a daring climax scene on the roof of the hotel.

I thought the NYC parade clue was unfair. What was the Tom to lead one to Veterans Day? I know about the famous NYC Columbus Day Parade which features tens of thousands of Marchers. I saw it in person once. Hella boring. Nothing but marching units. Where are the politicians? Where are the floats? Where are the pretty girls in convertibles?
Gupta explained it: What fall holiday would draw much-increased participation between 1996 and 2009?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:38 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:34 am I didn't catch the word area in the San Diego hotel clue and thought that was poorly written because Coronado is a separate jurisdiction. If you have the chance, catch the film Noir television series Coronado 9 starring Rod Cameron. One episode features a daring climax scene on the roof of the hotel.

Gupta explained it: What fall holiday would draw much-increased participation between 1996 and 2009?
As Columbus Day has become less and less PC, I suppose interest and participation has declined in recent years.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Could not get Ex Machina.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni