Friday, July 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

SpiffJumper227 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:28 pm I had a question similar to the a vs the thing. In Jeopardy round, " David Jack, a big landowner in this California town..." The accepted answer was Monterrey Jack. The question wasn't asking for the cheese, it was asking for the town. In the past, haven't they been more specific about requiring answers in the right format?
It's usually said that adding information that is correct is allowed. Adding Jack is restating info that's in the clue.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I figured the author was Margaret Atwood and that the 14th century work was The Canterbury Tales and I've read The Handmaid's Tale but somehow still managed to miss FJ. :oops:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

As a Brazilian soccer fan, my response to that $400 clue in JULY was "Really? Do we have to bring that up again?". You all would have seen some serious :x face from me if I was playing.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:48 pm
SpiffJumper227 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:28 pm I had a question similar to the a vs the thing. In Jeopardy round, " David Jack, a big landowner in this California town..." The accepted answer was Monterrey Jack. The question wasn't asking for the cheese, it was asking for the town. In the past, haven't they been more specific about requiring answers in the right format?
It's usually said that adding information that is correct is allowed. Adding Jack is restating info that's in the clue.
They are not exactly consistent on cases like this. Consider a retail example from a few days ago:
Spoiler
The Chicago department store Marshall Field's was founded by Marshall Field. They were asking for the person, not the store, so Marshall Fields was negged.

Today's analog: they were asking about the city whose name joined Mr. Jack in the name of Monterey Jack cheese. They were asking for the city, not the cheese, so Monterey Jack is not correct. The city is Monterey.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I will point out that Sanjay Gupta has the same first 2 letters of his first and last name that the previous guest host, Savannah Guthrie, does. Mind blown.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:46 am
davey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:48 pm
They are not exactly consistent on cases like this. Consider a retail example from a few days ago:
Spoiler
The Chicago department store Marshall Field's was founded by Marshall Field. They were asking for the person, not the store, so Marshall Fields was negged.

Today's analog: they were asking about the city whose name joined Mr. Jack in the name of Monterey Jack cheese. They were asking for the city, not the cheese, so Monterey Jack is not correct. The city is Monterey.
Spoiler
If the clue the other day was Born in 1834, this Chicagoan's department store revolutionized the industry, they might not have negged Marshall Field's. Responding with the store's name is more like restating info in the clue in that instance. Maybe... :)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

DDs:. :D :x (sounded like Greek for sun, so I guessed Apollo) :(
trash:. Brazil :twisted: , Salt Lake Valley, urchin
FJ:. Canadian writer + 1985 + Canterbury Tales = The Handmaid's Tale :mrgreen:
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 pm

Missed electrolysis and said hydrolysis. Oops.

That & I guessed Krypton for Neon. :?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm DDs:. :D :x (sounded like Greek for sun, so I guessed Apollo) :(
trash:. Brazil :twisted: , Salt Lake Valley, urchin
FJ:. Canadian writer + 1985 + Canterbury Tales = The Handmaid's Tale :mrgreen:
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 pm

Missed electrolysis and said hydrolysis. Oops.

That & I guessed Krypton for Neon. :?
Krypton comes from the Greek kryptos, meaning hidden.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought of xenon as it seems like a stereotypical Greek word. I'm guessing they were asking for a switch between the Latin and Greek words for "new" but that's something I would find more appropriate for Final Jeopardy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:14 pm I thought of xenon as it seems like a stereotypical Greek word. I'm guessing they were asking for a switch between the Latin and Greek words for "new" but that's something I would find more appropriate for Final Jeopardy.
Normally, maybe, but 'neo' should be quite easy and 'novus' should be, too, given how much we've heard about the novel coronavirus.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:07 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:14 pm I thought of xenon as it seems like a stereotypical Greek word. I'm guessing they were asking for a switch between the Latin and Greek words for "new" but that's something I would find more appropriate for Final Jeopardy.
Normally, maybe, but 'neo' should be quite easy and 'novus' should be, too, given how much we've heard about the novel coronavirus.
my problem there was i'm waiting for the movie coronavirus (my guess was krypton)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

alietr wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 am I will point out that Sanjay Gupta has the same first 2 letters of his first and last name that the previous guest host, Savannah Guthrie, does. Mind blown.
And the next one, George Stephanopoulos, also has the same two initials, but in the opposite order.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I feel cheated by Jen's winning with "A Handmaid's Tale", but I knew the judges would rule in her favor.

Frankly, I'm shocked the other players both missed it, considering how well they played.

I was also dismayed by the $1,000 Daily Double bet so early in the DJ round <sigh>
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Played Two Comic Book Characters and Eponymous Food $800.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni