How Did Sanjay Gupta Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Sanjay Gupta on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

No votes
No votes
2%
2%
8%
16%
28%
27%
16%
3%

Total votes: 64

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: How Did Sanjay Gupta Do as Host?

Post by squarekara »

Dr. SG seemed comfortable and cheerful enough in the role, and I found him very likeable, with or without The Sprinkler. He was calming without being dull--like Alex, in a way. He didn't endeavor to sell himself to the viewer over and over. That kind of self-consciousness was nowhere to be seen. He got down to business and let the contestants shine.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

7. Nothing patently wrong, just a bit too dry and robotic.

My rankings so far:

1. Mayim Bialik
2. Ken Jennings
3. Savannah Guthrie
4. Anderson Cooper
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Dr. Sanjay Gupta
7. Katie Couric
8. Mike Richards
9. Bill Whitaker
10. Buzzy Cohen
OH GOD NO. Mehmet Oz
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

He's alright and it's nice to have a real doctor instead of a fake one guest hosting the show for once. As of now, Ken and Mayim are the only two guest hosts I enjoyed playing along with the most. I still think Richards is slightly better than Cohen and Rodgers, but like Oz, not my personal favorites. At least all of the journalists were competent enough for the job, which is something I expect from George, Robin, and David for the final five weeks of new games.
Just a person who loves game shows.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

He did a fine job, but after 4 weeks of self-effacing efficiency I'm ready for a little more personality again...which I probably won't get next week. The energy for news isn't quite what the show needs.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:49 pm He's alright and it's nice to have a real doctor instead of a fake one guest hosting the show for once. As of now, Ken and Mayim are the only two guest hosts I enjoyed playing along with the most. I still think Richards is slightly better than Cohen and Rodgers, but like Oz, not my personal favorites. At least all of the journalists were competent enough for the job, which is something I expect from George, Robin, and David for the final five weeks of new games.
What fake doctor?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woppy T wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:04 am
QuizGeek75 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:49 pm He's alright and it's nice to have a real doctor instead of a fake one guest hosting the show for once. As of now, Ken and Mayim are the only two guest hosts I enjoyed playing along with the most. I still think Richards is slightly better than Cohen and Rodgers, but like Oz, not my personal favorites. At least all of the journalists were competent enough for the job, which is something I expect from George, Robin, and David for the final five weeks of new games.
What fake doctor?
You missed the week Dr. Dre hosted?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:45 am
What fake doctor?
Dr. Demento
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:45 am
What fake doctor?
I actually would like to see that
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Like many, I have guest host fatigue, and Gupta's very adequate performance will meld with all the others. Only Bill and Mehmet have been buzz kills. Mayim and Aaron are meh's. Buzzy is the best, but suffers from white male syndrome.
I assigned an 8. My curve may be out of sync from the beginning. Like a good umpire, we hardly knew he was on stage.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

I found Gupta “serviceable”. He did a competent job - nothing great but nothing bad.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Woof wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:36 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:25 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:12 pm I gave him a 6, the same as Bill, and for precisely the same reason: lack of any personality in the host. Yes, the host should let the contestants be the stars, but as Alex amply demonstrated that doesn’t mean leaving your personality at the door. My highly subjective rankings so far:

Buzzy - 9
Ken, Mayim - 8
Aaron, Samantha, Anderson - 7
Bill, Sanjay - 6
Mike - 5
Dr Oz - 3

If I were in charge of casting (and you can all be thankful that I’m not), I’d only give serious consideration to the 8 and 9 scores. The 7s would be a secondary cut, especially if one demonstrated serious interest in the job (unlikely).
Dislike Katie so much she doesn’t make the rankings?
Oops! Now fixed, but I’ll leave it unchanged in the quote so no one thinks you were hallucinating, Wayne :mrgreen:
You might want to change Samantha to Savannah as well, then. :D
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gamawire wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:04 am
Woof wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:36 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:25 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:12 pm I gave him a 6, the same as Bill, and for precisely the same reason: lack of any personality in the host. Yes, the host should let the contestants be the stars, but as Alex amply demonstrated that doesn’t mean leaving your personality at the door. My highly subjective rankings so far:

Buzzy - 9
Ken, Mayim - 8
Aaron, Samantha, Anderson - 7
Bill, Sanjay - 6
Mike - 5
Dr Oz - 3

If I were in charge of casting (and you can all be thankful that I’m not), I’d only give serious consideration to the 8 and 9 scores. The 7s would be a secondary cut, especially if one demonstrated serious interest in the job (unlikely).
Dislike Katie so much she doesn’t make the rankings?
Oops! Now fixed, but I’ll leave it unchanged in the quote so no one thinks you were hallucinating, Wayne :mrgreen:
You might want to change Samantha to Savannah as well, then. :D
D’oh! Well caught.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

How many times can I say "Meh?"

Maybe I'm just getting weary of weeing these prolonged auditions. Everyone has been OK, with solid, experienced TV chops and good stage presence. Nobody has jumped out at me since the show's producer was on right after KJ. Pardon me for not remembering his name, since he's the only one of the cattle call who has not been on my TV screen before. I just recall thinking that he was the only one so far I would like to see on a continuing basis.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:42 pm How many times can I say "Meh?"

Pardon me for not remembering his name, since he's the only one of the cattle call who has not been on my TV screen before.
His name has been on your TV screen every time you've been watching for a while now... :lol: Mike Richards. I agree he is a capable host, and he would make a fine substitute any time it becomes necessary, but I just don't see him as "the one".
Total game show career losings = $171,522