Monday, July 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Monday, July 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I almost surprised myself and ran OLD TV THEME SONGS, but I couldn't quite muster the exact title of the M*A*S*H theme to anything more than "I know it has the word 'suicide' in it".

I should have run THE SECRETARY OF STATE, IN BRIEF, but I went 3 years into the future and said Antony Blinken instead of Mike Pompeo.

It almost seemed destined for Tim to falter at the end because of his timid DD wagering. Since I had the correct FJ response down almost instantly, I was able to watch the players during the music: There was no doubt Jen had it right away, whereas Tim scribbled until the very end, and I thought he fumbled the ball on the 1-yard line. I could also tell it was a Hail Mary heave because he omitted the question mark, and the final -ng in Pudding began to trail off. Otherwise, he played brilliantly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I needed the bit about the headmaster's wife in the FJ clue, otherwise I would have thought the "dish" was some sort of platter or bowl.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

danspartan wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tim was 4/4 on wagering clues and needed $5K more on DD bets for the wagering. The cushion was comfortably there to make sure he did not have to solve the FJ! clue (he was writing late) to win.
He worked hard to not get a lock game given he got all three DDs, though we have to give credit to Jen for building 13,600 without any.
Tim clearly won this game on buzzer timing. You could see Jen trying to ring in while he was just picking off clue after clue.

I had a feeling after seeing her first two games, that Jen would make a bad wager. Just wasn't sure if it would be another overwager or she would try to keep Jaclyn locked out of 2nd without realizing she couldn't beat Tim if he got it wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:56 am I had a feeling after seeing her first two games, that Jen would make a bad wager. Just wasn't sure if it would be another overwager or she would try to keep Jaclyn locked out of 2nd without realizing she couldn't beat Tim if he got it wrong.
There's no such thing as an overwager from Jen's position in this game.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

Except all I could think of were Harvard beets, despite knowing hasty pudding.

[Quoted=MarkBarrett post_id=358612 time=1626114939 user_id=76]
ACW wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:24 pm Wow that's obscure. I've never even heard of hasty pudding. And how would anyone know that the first headmaster's wife's was awful?

It's one of those where you see Harvard and food then the rest does not matter:
Spoiler
#8112, aired 2019-12-10 AWARDS & HONORS $800: This theatrical club founded by Harvard students began naming a woman of the year in 1951 & a man of the year in 1967
#7843, aired 2018-10-17 LIFE IN COLONIAL AMERICA $3,000 (Daily Double): Now the name of a Harvard theatrical club, it was a porridge of milk & flour or cornmeal
#7515, aired 2017-04-21 ALMA MATERS $800: Rashida Jones studied religion & philosophy at this school & was also involved in its Hasty Pudding theatricals
#7420, aired 2016-12-09 H.P. $800: Young Teddy Roosevelt served as club secretary for this Harvard club known for its theatricals
#7187, aired 2015-12-08 CELEBRITY ALMA MATERS $400: (Hi, I'm John Berman of CNN.) I graduated from this university, where, like William Randolph Hearst, FDR & many others before me, I performed in the famous--some might say infamous--theatricals of the Hasty Pudding Club
#6219, aired 2011-10-06 AWARDS & HONORS $800: (I'm Chevy Chase.) In 1993 I was honored as Man of the Year by this Harvard theatrical society
#5367, aired 2008-01-01 TEMPO TANTRUM $400: A bad speed for a decision, or a good Pudding for Harvard
#5244, aired 2007-05-31 PUDDING $600: Adjective in front of "pudding" in the name of a Harvard theatrical troupe
#4679, aired 2004-12-30 CLUB ME $1000: Founded in 1795, this Harvard club is famed for its theatricals
#4205, aired 2002-12-06 OXFORD, CAMBRIDGE OR HARVARD $400: One of its clubs gives out the Hasty Pudding Award
#3731, aired 2000-11-20 TRAVEL $200: This U.S. university performs its Hasty Pudding theatricals in Bermuda during "College Weeks" in March & April
#3067, aired 1997-12-23 AWARDS $300: This school's Hasty Pudding Club has been presenting its Woman of the Year Award since 1951
#2977, aired 1997-07-08 AWARDS $100: The Federation of Fly Fishers, Harvard's Hasty Pudding Club & Time Magazine all name one of these
#2672, aired 1996-03-26 COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $200: 1995 marked the 200th anniversary of this university's Hasty Pudding Club
#1653, aired 1991-11-06 ORGANIZATIONS $300: Founded in 1770, the Hasty Pudding Club is famed for its theatricals at this university
[/quote]
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:12 am I needed the bit about the headmaster's wife in the FJ clue, otherwise I would have thought the "dish" was some sort of platter or bowl.
I remember having a similar problem with this old FJ; I was looking for a dinner entrée.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

A true YEKIOYD FJ. Happy to be in the former here. Three days, three wild wagers by Jen. This time she couldn't make it work.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
ACW

Post by ACW »

squarekara wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:11 pm
ACW wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:24 pm Wow that's obscure. I've never even heard of hasty pudding. And how would anyone know that the first headmaster's wife's was awful?
What about in "Yankee Doodle"?
I don't have the song memorized that far :lol:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Oh la la, that French Literature category had morbeedo written all over it. At least they got 3/5

How the hell did I not know Kissinger was German? I knew he was foreign-born, but would never have guessed Germany :oops:

Scooped up most of the trash today. Expected more from these players!

Sometimes my voice gets raspy like George's did. Felt bad for the guy. You can't exactly stop mid-round for a sip of water

FJ: Instaget!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm baaaaaack - finished (well, finishing...one more to go) a long backlog of J! episodes.

My best Coryat in the post-Trebek era...partly because just plain TV THEME SONGS would be a lay-up for me. Loved TV theme songs as a kid in the 80s, even if I could never quite get the lyrics right in pre-Google times. For "Three's Company", "Down at our rendezvous" became "domanomanayvoo" to me as a six year-old. Any time the theme song changed with new singers or new instruments was a time to celebrate. With the exception of Rawhide, the origins of Think! came before all the other shows in that category.

I like video games - especially the old ones - but I'd NHO Rachet and Clank. Thanks a lot, Sony...hope you enjoyed your plug.

Genghis Khan's country for a fourth row DD? That category scared me; the clue did not.

I came close to missing Alison Bechdel's musical with "Fun House", but quickly corrected myself. It's not really a spoiler, but...her character's father works at a FUNeral HOME, and a silly song in the middle of the musical is a fake advertisement that she and her siblings make as a child. Bechdel has also come up twice in J! for her famous Bechdel test - does the play/musical/tv show/movie have at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man?

For some reason, I never really had heard of the whole Hasty Pudding Man/Woman of the Year until maybe 15 or 20 years ago, but it's usually in the news...at least in the Boston area, naturally. If you'd heard of it, it's not a tough final...Harvard food with a "bad" adjective basically gets you there. But I can see how it can slip under the radar, particularly far away from Cambridge. Bad food from my university dining hall would be synonymous with "soylada" - available with or without cheese. It never occurred to me until today that it was probably a portmanteau of "soy" and "enchilada" - I think it was shaped like an enchilada, but other than that, it bore little resemblance to an enchilada in either taste or smell.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:12 am
Category 13 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:56 am I had a feeling after seeing her first two games, that Jen would make a bad wager. Just wasn't sure if it would be another overwager or she would try to keep Jaclyn locked out of 2nd without realizing she couldn't beat Tim if he got it wrong.
There's no such thing as an overwager from Jen's position in this game.
If she bets $3600 she wins if Tim makes the MSB and gets it wrong and it gives her a better chance at second if she misses. But she has practically zero chance of winning if she is wrong so she might as well bet it all as she already has over $50,000 in winnings so an extra grand isn’t a big deal.

Got FJ from the club, never knew its origin.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Gamer's Delight $600, An Illustrated Life $1000, and said Gunsmoke instead of Rawhide.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni