Monday, July 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGE LIFE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This dish associated with Harvard goes back to the start of the school; the wife of the first headmaster made an awful version

Jen Jazwinski: 13600+13600=27200
Jaclyn Schuenzel: 6000-6000=0
Tim Moon: 22200+6000=28200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
hasty pudding (Jaclyn - figgy pudding)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 5400+1600
Tim: 16400+2600
Tim: 20200+2000

Coryats
Jen: 13600
Jaclyn: 6000
Tim: 20000

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jen: 4800
Jaclyn: 1600
Tim: 8800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jaclyn's mention of the gumwall in Seattle had me curious. Quite the sight after I used Google images to view it.

George's voice sounded a bit raspy that kind of reminded me of the times Alex would host while fighting a cold. Of course a cross country flight could do the trick as well. Other than that the new guest host seemed quite comfortable in the role, so he is either a natural or the previous day's warm-ups are good enough to get a professional quickly up to speed.

OLD TV THEME SONGS in the DJ! round. Thank you very much, writers, for the $6000 on my scoresheet. Unlike Jaclyn, I was not going to mix up one western show title for the correct one.

Tim was 4/4 on wagering clues and needed $5K more on DD bets for the wagering. The cushion was comfortably there to make sure he did not have to solve the FJ! clue (he was writing late) to win.

The FJ! category had me expecting a word origin type like quad(rangle) or dorm from sleep.

The clue had me start to match Jaclyn as I had 2/3rds of an F down before quickly switching to the correct response to have my pen down just before the music started.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MONSTERS - they are not ghosts, they are monsters dammit! It says Monsters right on the side glass of the game.

The Atari 2600 port first called them ghosts.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ACW

Post by ACW »

Wow that's obscure. I've never even heard of hasty pudding. And how would anyone know that the first headmaster's wife's was awful?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ACW wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:24 pm Wow that's obscure. I've never even heard of hasty pudding. And how would anyone know that the first headmaster's wife's was awful?

It's one of those where you see Harvard and food then the rest does not matter:
Spoiler
#8112, aired 2019-12-10 AWARDS & HONORS $800: This theatrical club founded by Harvard students began naming a woman of the year in 1951 & a man of the year in 1967
#7843, aired 2018-10-17 LIFE IN COLONIAL AMERICA $3,000 (Daily Double): Now the name of a Harvard theatrical club, it was a porridge of milk & flour or cornmeal
#7515, aired 2017-04-21 ALMA MATERS $800: Rashida Jones studied religion & philosophy at this school & was also involved in its Hasty Pudding theatricals
#7420, aired 2016-12-09 H.P. $800: Young Teddy Roosevelt served as club secretary for this Harvard club known for its theatricals
#7187, aired 2015-12-08 CELEBRITY ALMA MATERS $400: (Hi, I'm John Berman of CNN.) I graduated from this university, where, like William Randolph Hearst, FDR & many others before me, I performed in the famous--some might say infamous--theatricals of the Hasty Pudding Club
#6219, aired 2011-10-06 AWARDS & HONORS $800: (I'm Chevy Chase.) In 1993 I was honored as Man of the Year by this Harvard theatrical society
#5367, aired 2008-01-01 TEMPO TANTRUM $400: A bad speed for a decision, or a good Pudding for Harvard
#5244, aired 2007-05-31 PUDDING $600: Adjective in front of "pudding" in the name of a Harvard theatrical troupe
#4679, aired 2004-12-30 CLUB ME $1000: Founded in 1795, this Harvard club is famed for its theatricals
#4205, aired 2002-12-06 OXFORD, CAMBRIDGE OR HARVARD $400: One of its clubs gives out the Hasty Pudding Award
#3731, aired 2000-11-20 TRAVEL $200: This U.S. university performs its Hasty Pudding theatricals in Bermuda during "College Weeks" in March & April
#3067, aired 1997-12-23 AWARDS $300: This school's Hasty Pudding Club has been presenting its Woman of the Year Award since 1951
#2977, aired 1997-07-08 AWARDS $100: The Federation of Fly Fishers, Harvard's Hasty Pudding Club & Time Magazine all name one of these
#2672, aired 1996-03-26 COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $200: 1995 marked the 200th anniversary of this university's Hasty Pudding Club
#1653, aired 1991-11-06 ORGANIZATIONS $300: Founded in 1770, the Hasty Pudding Club is famed for its theatricals at this university
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I too got it from the name of the club.

It was also a notoriously difficult Learned League Q a few years back:
A popular British emergency dish since the Middle Ages is what descriptively (and accurately) named porridge of wheat flour and boiling milk or water? Originating (as a term) in the late 1500s, its recipe was recorded in 1747 in Hannah Glasse's The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy.
https://www.learnedleague.com/question.php?66&13&3
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 pm Unlike Jaclyn, I was not going to mix up one western show title for the correct one.
Even before you had the game up, I was going to guess that the mix-up was between "the one they sang in The Blues Brothers" and "the one they sang in City Slickers".

YouTube has a funny clip of the latter from the German dub of the film.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

ACW wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:24 pm Wow that's obscure. I've never even heard of hasty pudding. And how would anyone know that the first headmaster's wife's was awful?
What about in "Yankee Doodle"?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the chartity line that goes with each game:

Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign.

Is that okay? Should it just be Share Our Strength? Should I capitalize "campaign"? I copy it each day to only have to type it once, so want to make sure it's all good on day one.

For the promo between the DJ! and FJ! rounds: "Calling All Professors"

Some special tourney different than the Teachers Tournament?
Just highlighting one specific group to take the test and could be a different occupation tomorrow?
S38 will kick off with something about schools being back in session?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know I've made the hasty pudding = Harvard connection before so I was able to get it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ACW wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:24 pm Wow that's obscure. I've never even heard of hasty pudding.
From https://hastypudding.org/hasty-pudding-club-overview
UNIQUE. HISTORIC. PRESTIGIOUS. ICONIC.

In 1795, twenty-one Harvard juniors crowded into the dorm room of one Nymphas Hatch to establish a new on-campus society. The members pledged to maintain the Club's secrecy and "to cultivate the social affections and cherish the feelings of friendship and patriotism" amongst them. Most importantly, they mandated that "the members in alphabetical order shall provide a pot of hasty pudding for every meeting."

Over two centuries later, the Pudding continues as a cornerstone of the Harvard experience and is the source of lasting friendships. The oldest social club in the United States, the Pudding boasts a distinguished membership, including five U.S. Presidents (John and John Quincy Adams, Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt, and John F. Kennedy), William Randolph Hearst, Jack Lemmon, and many other luminaries in entertainment, academia, politics, business, and public service.

Throughout the years, the Club has continued to attract a dedicated membership that carries on our many special traditions including weekly Members' Nights, Lecture Lunches, Charity Night and Service Days. The Hasty Pudding Club is the only co-ed social institution on Harvard's campus and accepts members from all four classes.

There is no other collegiate organization quite like it in the world.
They are probably most famous for their theatricals:
A GRAND AND ENDURING TRADITION
TRADITION. SATIRE. FUN. PUNS The Hasty Pudding Theatricals is the third oldest theater organization in the world, preceded only by the Comédie-Française and the Oberammergau Passion Players. Born from the Hasty Pudding Club, the Hasty Pudding Theatricals performed its first musical, Bombastes Furioso, on the auspicious evening of Friday the 13th, December 1844. Since its humble beginnings in a Harvard dorm room, the Theatricals has grown into an original, student written and composed, full-scale pun-filled musical extravaganza, which culminates each year in a kick line. Some of America’s most prominent luminaries were first made famous by wearing drag on the Pudding stage, such as William Randolph Hearst, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Jack Lemmon (training for his famous role in Some Like it Hot). Ultimately, 50 students work together in the cast, band, tech crew, and business staff to stage a 35-show run in Cambridge, with additional dates in New York City and Bermuda.

The Pudding show has a long tradition of daring social and political commentary, never shying away from controversial current topics. Even early on, no one was safe from jabs from the Pudding authors, even their very own benefactors. By 1890, supporting the Pudding had become an official social cause among such patronesses as Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt, Mrs. Robert Winthrop, and Mrs. JL Gardener etc. But in 1910, John Reed, a senior, wrote the show Diana’s Debut which was a daring satire of the Boston Elite. The next year, The Crystal Gazer targeted the nouveaux riches. In 1913, the Panama Canal was the subject of Panamania. In 1919, the Pudding produced a show parodying the Russian Revolution, Clowns and Crowns—it was the most topical show to date (and for which the Pudding received threatening anonymous letters). In 1938, So Proudly we Hail mocked Hitler and Mussolini, two years before Charlie Chaplin’s Dictator.

But, although unafraid to tackle themes as strong as revolution, labor strikes, and class struggles, the Pudding never takes itself too seriously, consistently delighting audiences with uproarious antics and questionable puns
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Tim was 4/4 on wagering clues and needed $5K more on DD bets for the wagering. The cushion was comfortably there to make sure he did not have to solve the FJ! clue (he was writing late) to win.
He worked hard to not get a lock game given he got all three DDs, though we have to give credit to Jen for building 13,600 without any.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:30 pm
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This dish associated with Harvard goes back to the start of the school; the wife of the first headmaster made an awful version
Damn it, I thought now finally was the time for Whiffenpoof cheese!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This game also featured an ad saying that Jeopardy! was looking for college professors as contestants, but the ad didn't specifically say that it was for a college professors tournament.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

50R. 3/4 on big clues. Guessed Clam Chowder instead of Hasty Pudding. Once I saw Figgy Pudding I knew the answer. I've seen clues about the Harvard Hasty Pudding Club before and I think it will stick now.

I got 50 right! Woo-hoo!
Spoiler
Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Rod Serling, Fun Home, stickball, demolition derby, and glazier.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm George one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7083
That's what they said in 1727 too.
Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:16 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 pm Unlike Jaclyn, I was not going to mix up one western show title for the correct one.
Even before you had the game up, I was going to guess that the mix-up was between "the one they sang in The Blues Brothers" and "the one they sang in City Slickers".

YouTube has a funny clip of the latter from the German dub of the film.
I was going to go with UHF over City Slickers myself.

Harvard, food, it's either hasty pudding or a flight simulator...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ: I don't know why I knew Hasty Pudding -> Harvard. Must be the theater connection, and as a phrase in "Yankee Doodle", the term was in my memory bank. This term, Skull and Bones, Eli, Whiffenpoofs are my sum total knowledge of Ivy league minutiae.
Tim Moon did not shoot the moon on any of his opportunities, but still got great value by denying his opponents the option.
The CC showed "glazer" for "glazier".
The benzene clue was well written, but very technical :
C6H6, this aromatic hydrocarbon typically derived from petroleum, is used in the manufacture of detergents & fuels
It is the "aromatic" part that makes it slightly more accessible for the freshman organic chemist. Benzene is the simplest building block for this whole family of compounds which basically accounts for most of the good stuff of biology and life (thank you caffeine ;)).
Sanjay seemed tired today and maybe lost some height.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.