Tuesday, July 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew it was Spiderman but clammed because I remembered there was more to the title (Turn Off the Dark) but couldn't remember the additional words other than that it involved "dark". Once "Spiderman" alone was accepted, I was kicking myself.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Quick question to past contestants or those in the know: Are the contestants given subtitles to these picture clues while we at home are not? I ask this because I was nowhere near fast enough to come up with Boss Tweed for $1600 in OVER BUDGET, but had I been able to read ahead and knew what they were looking for sooner, I would have most certainly gotten it.

Also, so long as just "Who is Carrie?" is acceptable for $800 in FICTIONAL BOOKS, I have a nice run in that category.

FJ seemed like one of those that either hits you right away or it doesn't. Luckily, I had the former... this time...
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:03 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 pm I didn't know there was a Broadway version of Spider-Man. I don't understand why there was a Broadway version of Spider-Man.
Not only was there a Broadway version of Spider-Man, but it was the biggest fiasco to ever hit the Great White Way. The post-mortems are incredible.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... l-disaster
I saw this production a few months into it's run after it had been debugged. I think it was the most entertaining of the 5-6 Broadway plays I've been to. I usually start looking at my imaginary wristwatch about 30 minutes in for a musical.

I guess I should have re-read the clue, but I instantly jumped on "typewriter" and was sure of it. I know the machine evolved over many years, so maybe the breakthrough came in 1899. I figured the name was supposed to be recognizable, and maybe that's the dude that condemned us to QWERTY keyboards. I was shocked that it was anything else.

I punked Tim Moon a little yesterday for not shooting the Moon, but 10K at DD3 is close enough.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I was bewildered by the clue about the Val Kilmer character. A couple HOURS later, I realized they said Top Gun, not Top Secret.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:03 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 pm Missed Los Angeles and said Las Vegas.
Me, too. It's not a bad guess as it's about the same distance to both (195 to LA, 225 to LV).
The Owens Valley (home of Owens Lake) provides water to Los Angeles, and in the early part of the century there were a lot of conflicts between the farmers there and politicians in LA, collectively called the California Water Wars. The movie Chinatown was a fictional account based on this backstory (in case any of it sounds familiar).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:08 am Quick question to past contestants or those in the know: Are the contestants given subtitles to these picture clues while we at home are not?
They show the clue text on the main screen and they show the picture or video on another screen to the left of the main screen. The players can read the clue even when they show a picture. The clues don't fill up the whole main screen - only the individual box where the dollar value is displayed. At least that's what I remember from a visit in the audience.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Tim didn’t go for the kill from ahead Monday but certainly went big on the DD Tuesday. He didn’t really have a choice given the scores, but we often see contestants just throw out a random $4,000-$5,000.

The far back third place contestant had a chance to win this game given the aggressive wager from second place.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:03 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 pm Missed Los Angeles and said Las Vegas.
Me, too. It's not a bad guess as it's about the same distance to both (195 to LA, 225 to LV).
I waffled and said Vegas too, but the key piece of info in the clue was 1920's, which was too early for LV's growth spurt but fit perfectly with LA.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Post by squarekara » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:12 am

I was bewildered by the clue about the Val Kilmer character. A couple HOURS later, I realized they said Top Gun, not Top Secret.
I understand you confusion! Who doesn't remember that in Top Secret his character was "Nick... my dad thought of it while he was shaving." :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 pm
ACW wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:08 pm New and improved is oxymoronic, BTW.

Was that supposed to be a hint?
Yes, it's a play on the adage, "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door"
(Attributed to Emerson, but not actually Emerson's: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bui ... etrap.html )

Least, that's my interpretation
That was what got it for me. I understood the conceit right away.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was getting a Roger Craig vibe from Alex. I thought he was going to clean up.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Good competitive game, but the energy was sooooooo lacking. Not even a smirk from Alex on Baby Shark! Perk up, people!

I missed way too many easy clues but got all the big ones.

Also shocked / not shocked by the un-strategic clue calling and that FJ wager :shock:

Lauren calling clues without the category name - "For $800", "For $1200" - sounded weird to me.

Getting grumpy in my middle age, I guess
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni