Wednesday, July 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These characters first seen onscreen in a 1938 film are known in Spain as Juanito, Jorgito & Jaimito

Tim Moon: 12800-12797=3
Tyler Vandenberg: 22000+8000=30000 (New Champ)
Angela Gelineau: 9800+9000=18800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Huey, Dewey & Louie (Tim – Who are L ?)

Daily Doubles
Tyler: 1200+1200
Tyler: 6400+6400
Tyler: 21600-2000

Coryats
Tim: 12800
Tyler: 18400
Angela: 9800

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tim: 6000
Tyler: 5200
Angela: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Long credit roll again for the second day in a row.

The black & white pic of the rich child star had me expecting a TS, which it was, though Angela did get closer than I expected.

Tyler was 3/4 on wagering clues and missing DD3 kept the game from a runaway. If Tyler does not solve the FJ! clue then Angela would have won.

J! can be a funny game as one player can win seven games and on another taping day the pool of players can be stacked. George's charity is doing quite well so far.

The FJ! category was wide open though that did not prevent me trying precalls of The Simpsons, Family Guy, Mel Blanc, Roger Rabbit, Chuck Jones (Yeah, out with the previous WHILE "E" and COYOTE categories) and finally Disney.

The clue had me thrown by "1938 film" as I was thinking feature length. Knowing Snow White was 1937 kept me from thinking anything about the Dwarfs. Sticking with Disney and wanting a trio I wrote the correct response. Not being real confident I kept thinking and had to swat away Snap, Crackle and Pop entering my head.

After time was up I had another thought come to me with Three Caballeros.

My reaction was similar to Angela when finding out I was right as it was a pleasant surprise. It's the FJ! round. Guess something.

Tyler padded his total 4399 above the expected amount. That's fine as long as such moves do not cost him a game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

A lot to like about Tyler, IMO. Good contestant, calm, unflappable, etc.

I especially liked his description of being a tanker as "the best job I ever had." A lovely, if obscure quote from the movie "Fury," where Brad Pitt and his crew of tankers use their disabled tank to take the fight to an entire company of German soldiers in what they knew was most likely a suicide mission. Just before they are about to be overrun and killed, Pitt's "Wardaddy" still rhapsodizes, "Best job I ever had."

I have to believe that's what Tyler was referring to.

Congrats to the young champion.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Complete blank on FJ! The names didn't sound like anything I could match to an animated trio in English (Johnny?), and I didn't know HD&L went that far back.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:09 pm A lot to like about Tyler, IMO. Good contestant, calm, unflappable, etc.
All that, and he delivered on the "Cla-rice" response. Very solid performance!

I went with The Three Little Pigs for FJ, and pretty confidently, too.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I answered the Three Caballeros, but figured it probably wasn't right because I know it's one of the "canonical" Disney feature films; that Snow White came out in 1937 as the first one, and I was pretty sure that Pinocchio was the second one (and that it came out a few years later). Still, I thought that Spain might have been a clue pointing in that direction.

I did think of the correct answer but immediately dismissed it.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:27 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:09 pm A lot to like about Tyler, IMO. Good contestant, calm, unflappable, etc.
HIs pronunciation of "bushido" also had a ring of authenticity.
davey

Post by davey »

Gee, if I'd thought of that I might have gone for it, especially since I would have guessed HD&L were later... I don't know The Three Caballeros well enough to come up with them at all. As it was, HD&L were all I considered.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I went with the Three Little Pigs, maybe less confidently. I think the three Spanish names starting with “J” pointed me to a jamon connection. Never would have thought of the right answer, although my girlfriend got it instantly.

Was sort of expecting a request for Clarice’s last name.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Great job by the new champ! I also liked his tanker job description although I haven’t seen that movie. I’ll put it on my “to see” list. For me the FJ was a WECIB. I was fairly confident since I couldn’t think of any animated alternatives.
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:35 pm

I went with the Three Little Pigs, maybe less confidently. I think the three Spanish names starting with “J” pointed me to a jamon connection. Never would have thought of the right answer, although my girlfriend got it instantly.
I think we were supposed to see that all the names are diminutives.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This was my favorite game in quite some time. A new champion with some great personality and tons of fun at home playing DOUBLE DOUBLE RHYMERS. I had a blast running that category.

I already have a flashcard with Jean Racine and Phédre on it, but it was still going to take a miracle to pull that one out.

Another quick FJ for me today, the 3 this week are just hitting the right neurons immediately.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Leander wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:35 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:27 pm I went with The Three Little Pigs for FJ, and pretty confidently, too.
I went with the Three Little Pigs, maybe less confidently. I think the three Spanish names starting with “J” pointed me to a jamon connection.
Exactly!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Given how well Tyler handled his 3 DD wagers, I was surprised at his round number overbet on Final, which put him at risk of being caught by third.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:44 am Given how well Tyler handled his 3 DD wagers, I was surprised at his round number overbet on Final, which put him at risk of being caught by third.
Do the math, guys. Tyler's optimal bet is $3601, which leaves him with $18399 if he's wrong. Angela ended up with $18800, and she could have had more. The overbet doesn't change his chances to win.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

47R. 4/4 on big clues. Sort of a guess on FJ. I noticed the similarities in the names but wasn't sure.

Missed "walking on tiptoes" and guessed "walking single file." Maybe I was thinking of sand people.

It looked like Tyler had the advantage on the buzzer. Tim looked like he had the advantage for the last couple days. I'm curious what buzzer techniques they were using.

I was 1/5 on the double rhyme time clues. If I had an extra second per clue I would have gone 5/5. I would speculate that people playing off the archive may not give enough credit for how fast the contestants were.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Joy of Cooking, English horn, epistemology, Phaedra, and Jackie Coogan.

Tyler's overwager does change his chances to win, even if it's only by a small amount. 2nd place could have bet randomly or bet their niece's birthday or something else.

Edit: And now I've learned that there is a Carol Danvers and a Kara Danvers. Both are distinctively similar blonde superpowered heroes. Somebody, somewhere, is a very lazy writer.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Tyler played a strong game. It doesn’t always work, but I do love aggressive DD strategy especially if it is a category you know. He obviously felt as if the chances of slipping a Canadian Provinces question by him were very slim.

This season, we have plenty of examples of quick champions who seemed like potential TOC players after a game or two. Hopefully, Tyler can stick around into next week.