Wednesday, July 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got this FJ because I focused on the assonance of the names. My wife missed it because she concentrated on what the English equivalents to those names might be.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:53 pm I got this FJ because I focused on the assonance of the names. My wife missed it because she concentrated on what the English equivalents to those names might be.
Opposite here. I focused on the Spanish and went with the Three Caballeros; my wife focused on the rhyming diminutives and got the right answer faster than I got the wrong one. The clue was displayed, she said, "Oh, that's obvious" and nothing more. I floundered for a few seconds, gave my answer, and she was both gleeful and scornful (a difficult combo to pull off) as she pronounced me "wrong, wrong, and wrong."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

By the way, is Dewey a diminutive name? If so, what's the full name? Deward? Durwood?
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:24 pm By the way, is Dewey a diminutive name? If so, what's the full name? Deward? Durwood?
There was a Boston Red Sox player from the 70s and 80s whose name was Dwight Evans and he was nicknamed Dewey.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

clprez wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:24 pm By the way, is Dewey a diminutive name? If so, what's the full name? Deward? Durwood?
There was a Boston Red Sox player from the 70s and 80s whose name was Dwight Evans and he was nicknamed Dewey.
True. Seems like in general, though, it's a Welsh name and not "short" for something else.

I did see a Reddit thread about it and someone suggested "Bartholodew" which was pretty good. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

No, it's not. But it functions as one in the set of 3.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Apparently it's short for Deuteronomy (!) in Quack Pack and Dewford in the DuckTales reboot.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Huey,_Dewey,_and_Louie

Meanwhile, I've always been fascinated by the red-blue-green parallels of HD&L, The Chipmunks, and the Powerpuff Girls.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

First thought was Caballeros but swatted that away pretty quickly as I couldn't think of a reason they'd need different names in Spanish. Took a few more seconds, but I got to the correct response.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MattKnowles wrote: Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Joy of Cooking, English horn, epistemology, Phaedra, and Jackie Coogan.
Interesting that they had the clue about Jackie Coogan, when one of the Andy Griffith episodes on ME-TV later that evening had him in a cameo role. Don't know if it was coincidental or not.

I had to look him up, after watching the (AG) episode because I did not recognise him. Just a hobby of mine. Very surprised to find out he was 'Uncle Fester'. Not that I'm an Addams Family fan.
I had no knowledge at all about his child actor notoriaty, or that he was once married to Betty Grable.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:35 am
MattKnowles wrote: Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Joy of Cooking, English horn, epistemology, Phaedra, and Jackie Coogan.
Interesting that they had the clue about Jackie Coogan, when one of the Andy Griffith episodes on ME-TV later that evening had him in a cameo role. Don't know if it was coincidental or not.

I had to look him up, after watching the (AG) episode because I did not recognise him. Just a hobby of mine. Very surprised to find out he was 'Uncle Fester'. Not that I'm an Addams Family fan.
I had no knowledge at all about his child actor notoriaty, or that he was once married to Betty Grable.
Jackie Coogan plays Mr. Duggan in "The Fender Benders" ep. of The Brady Bunch for a classic guest spot. So many laughs in that one. His other guest appearance in that show from "Double Parked" is a very quick role.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:36 pm
clprez wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm
True. Seems like in general, though, it's a Welsh name and not "short" for something else.
I was about to mention LaMarr Hoyt, but I see now that Dewey was his actual first name (Dewey Hoyt? Nothing that drugs can't cure).

Nice Bo Derek reference in the "Bolero" clue.

If anyone else was wondering, this is from the Wikipedia article on "Pom-pom":

Webster's Third New International Dictionary (1961) gives the spelling as "pompon."
The New Oxford American Dictionary (third edition, 2010) gives the spelling as "pom-pom."
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (5th edition, 2011) gives the spelling as "pompom" or "pompon."
Webster's New World College Dictionary (fourth edition) gives the spelling as "pompom."
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I find it interesting that Huey was named after Huey Long (which I suspected, and confirmed), given his close association with Scrooge McDuck. (It's also somewhat ironic given Walt Disney's staunch pro-capitalism stances.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

A rare sports get for me, I got Bolero solely from "Classical, Torvill, Dean". Fun bit about that, the remixed Bolero was still too long to fit within the allotted time so T&D found a loophole: the clock starts when the skate first touches the ice so they stayed off their skates the first 18 seconds.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:13 pm A rare sports get for me, I got Bolero solely from "Classical, Torvill, Dean". Fun bit about that, the remixed Bolero was still too long to fit within the allotted time so T&D found a loophole: the clock starts when the skate first touches the ice so they stayed off their skates the first 18 seconds.
I'm not much of a dance or skating enthusiast, but their routine was totally mesmerizing. If you've never seen it, seek it out. And if you have, watch it again. A true masterpiece.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:13 pm A rare sports get for me, I got Bolero solely from "Classical, Torvill, Dean". Fun bit about that, the remixed Bolero was still too long to fit within the allotted time so T&D found a loophole: the clock starts when the skate first touches the ice so they stayed off their skates the first 18 seconds.
I'm not much of a dance or skating enthusiast, but their routine was totally mesmerizing. If you've never seen it, seek it out. And if you have, watch it again. A true masterpiece.
It really put ice dance on the map. Ice dance might sound kind of jokey, but it's an incredibly technical discipline. The top ice dancers are amazing skaters.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Newhausen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:03 pm First thought was Caballeros but swatted that away pretty quickly as I couldn't think of a reason they'd need different names in Spanish. Took a few more seconds, but I got to the correct response.
Same. "Spanish" was a red herring. It helps to remember other FJs of this type where they'll give you, say, the title of a Dr. Seuss book in Latin.

Missed Volstead with Volker and couldn't pull Phaedre - a rare wheelhouse question that got by me

I want to say "1,001 Arabian Nights" should have been negged. Isn't the title "The Thousand and One Nights"? I feel like they've ruled against other players for throwing in "Arabian"...

Is word play Tyler's Achilles heel? I don't think he got more than one of those, if any

Need to drill my Greek and Roman Gods
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:22 pm
Newhausen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:03 pm First thought was Caballeros but swatted that away pretty quickly as I couldn't think of a reason they'd need different names in Spanish. Took a few more seconds, but I got to the correct response.
Same. "Spanish" was a red herring. It helps to remember other FJs of this type where they'll give you, say, the title of a Dr. Seuss book in Latin.

Missed Volstead with Volker and couldn't pull Phaedre - a rare wheelhouse question that got by me

I want to say "1,001 Arabian Nights" should have been negged. Isn't the title "The Thousand and One Nights"? I feel like they've ruled against other players for throwing in "Arabian"...

Is word play Tyler's Achilles heel? I don't think he got more than one of those, if any

Need to drill my Greek and Roman Gods
It's a translation, but it's normally translated as One Thousand and One Nights. There are translations called The Arabian Nights Entertainments and it's often known as simply Arabian Nights. All that being said, if you do an image search, you'll find several books called some version of 1,001 Arabian Nights.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:31 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:22 pm I want to say "1,001 Arabian Nights" should have been negged. Isn't the title "The Thousand and One Nights"? I feel like they've ruled against other players for throwing in "Arabian"...
It's a translation, but it's normally translated as One Thousand and One Nights. There are translations called The Arabian Nights Entertainments and it's often known as simply Arabian Nights. All that being said, if you do an image search, you'll find several books called some version of 1,001 Arabian Nights.
Yeah. Turns out I was thinking about a recent clue that said the title is an allusion to the story's time period of roughly 2 3/4 years, so "Arabian Nights" was negged in that case.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't come up with Sister, Sister or Jackie Coogan.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni