Monday, July 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, July 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lefty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 pm "Renegades" does sort of mean "rebels", but it's usually the bad kind. What other people call you, not what you call yourselves. Anyway, I'll consider "Podcasts" payback for "20th Century TV" shortly ago. And I'd totally have gone with Ira Glass on that Morning Edition clue.
"All roads lead to another road / For renegades, rebels, and rogues"

I had "Hawaii and uuhhhhhhhhhh..." on FJ! Just hit a total brick wall and couldn't think of anything.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:30 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 pm good FJ question.

IMO, Wenceslas is a harder grab than Kafka or Holy Roman Empire.
Not when you're spotted "Good King" and Christmas.
It's still harder than being spotted a "Sacred" empire.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Took me a bit to parse the answer but got both islands in time.

Robin was very enthusiastic. Let’s see if she keeps it up all week.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:24 pm By the way, Hawaii and Kodiak are the two largest U.S. islands even if the "50 states" qualifier is removed. Puerto Rico is slightly smaller than Kodiak (3,588 sq mi to 3,363).
The list gets a lot harder after that -- Prince of Wales, Chichagof, St. Lawrence, Admiralty, Nunivak, Unimak, and Baranof until you get to Long Island.

If you go by population, Long Island has the most (18th in the world), followed by Puerto Rico, Manhattan, Oahu, Staten Island, and then the Big Island.

In the world by population? Java, Honshu, Great Britain, Luzon, Sumatra, Madagascar, Mindanao, Borneo, Taiwan, and Hispaniola.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

econgator wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:30 pmBest I could do was "Hawaii and some Alaskan island".
Same here, although I did come up with Attu for the Alaskan island.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Leander

Post by Leander »

alietr wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:40 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:24 pm By the way, Hawaii and Kodiak are the two largest U.S. islands even if the "50 states" qualifier is removed. Puerto Rico is slightly smaller than Kodiak (3,588 sq mi to 3,363).
The list gets a lot harder after that -- Prince of Wales, Chichagof, St. Lawrence, Admiralty, Nunivak, Unimak, and Baranof until you get to Long Island.

If you go by population, Long Island has the most (18th in the world), followed by Puerto Rico, Manhattan, Oahu, Staten Island, and then the Big Island.

In the world by population? Java, Honshu, Great Britain, Luzon, Sumatra, Madagascar, Mindanao, Borneo, Taiwan, and Hispaniola.
I was surprised that out of even the top 20 US islands, besides Long Island and Puerto Rico, the rest are in Alaska with a couple of Hawaiian islands thrown in.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Interesting that in your world list, Indonesia has 3 (or 2 1/3) and The Philippines 2 out of the top 10, indicative of how populous those island nations are. And whoda think that Madagascar was so populous? I thought that it was mostly lemurs and fossas.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:13 am

Interesting that in your world list, Indonesia has 3 (or 2 1/3) and The Philippines 2 out of the top 10, indicative of how populous those island nations are. And whoda think that Madagascar was so populous? I thought that it was mostly lemurs and fossas.
It's a big island. You lemur something every day.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Newhausen wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:11 am
Volante wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:30 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 pm good FJ question.

IMO, Wenceslas is a harder grab than Kafka or Holy Roman Empire.
Not when you're spotted "Good King" and Christmas.
It's still harder than being spotted a "Sacred" empire.
I'd say it's pretty much a wash. Both were easy.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Instaget Final. Recently came across Big Island (Hawaii) in the Archive as being a really big island, and Kodiak is the only Alaskan island (singular) I could name.

Coaching note for Robin - the first FJ response revealed was 50% correct. Otherwise, I'd say she had a great first day, and yay for the Mississippi content. Thought I got my Natchez and Nez Perce mixed up today

French Lit major and TIL Stendhal is a one-named author. I thought he was Maurice.

We just had a census, so shame on these three for missing Commerce.

I pronounced Wenceslas with a "V" and I want credit for it!

Romanticism a triple stumper at $400 when spotted "passionate"? Jeez Louise

I like the champ and don't mind the bounce, but why ya bouncing back to WAR after the first DD of the round was played?!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 pm I pronounced Wenceslas with a "V" and I want credit for it!
I don't think Wenceslav is going to work there...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robin handled the bouncing like a pro.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 pm Instaget Final. Recently came across Big Island (Hawaii) in the Archive as being a really big island, and Kodiak is the only Alaskan island (singular) I could name.

Romanticism a triple stumper at $400 when spotted "passionate"? Jeez Louise
Got FJ pretty much the same way. Clue clearly referred to Alaska and Hawaii, Hawaii has a big island, and I know Alaska has Kodiak and uh.. others.
I blurted out impressionism instead of romanticism. Major head slapper for me.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:43 pm Robin handled the bouncing like a pro.
Well, she did play college basketball.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Robin was supremely annoying. All that talk about herself. Talk, talk, talk. Only one day and I've had enough of her.

I didn't notice on Friday, but Josh sputters his answers. It is also very annoying. He takes half the time he should to enunciate his answer. He reminds me of an annoying Merchant I used to patronize occasionally who would start a sentence with one Cadence and then end it very abruptly by mashing the last few words together.

I was cheering for the lovely Megan. I got Kodiak and Hawaii but with some hesitation. I wondered if it was going for two different Alaskan Islands because the temperature difference was only 40 degrees. It seemed to me that Alaska and Hawaii should be more than 40 degrees different in the winter.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Podcasts $1000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni